Forum improvements?

Started by Kaesekopf, October 30, 2018, 04:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Michael Wilson on December 29, 2021, 08:15:17 PM
Check this book out, only $20.00 & worth every penny.

That is a CreateSpace publication, which means it is printed on demand and a self-published work. It also might only be one volume of two, as the first volume is also listed (for $16.05 for some reason).

I would recommend this edition and that company over a self-published print on demand version on Amazon. This is what I have.

The text is also online at: Project Gutenberg.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: GiftOfGod on December 29, 2021, 06:36:17 PM
Suggestion: A Moral Theology subforum, a place where users can post questions about sin and others can give their opinions. Perhaps there should be a new rule stating replies in that sub forum must include a citation from an approved pre-V2 moral theology book or a certification by the replying user that a traditional priest told them this information.

How would this differ from the expectations of Sacred Sciences?
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 29, 2021, 09:30:08 PM

People who could not properly cite their sources for their statements would be visited by Bob the Dinosaur.

Or something.

But seriously, it would be very poorly differentiated and the number of people who could conduct themselves properly in such a board would be low, especially since it would be a narrower subject than The Sacred Sciences as it is. I just like the idea of being able to cite claims being enforced though.

GiftOfGod

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 29, 2021, 09:30:08 PM
Quote from: GiftOfGod on December 29, 2021, 06:36:17 PM
Suggestion: A Moral Theology subforum, a place where users can post questions about sin and others can give their opinions. Perhaps there should be a new rule stating replies in that sub forum must include a citation from an approved pre-V2 moral theology book or a certification by the replying user that a traditional priest told them this information.

If someone wanted to ask, for example, "Is it a Sin Crying to Heaven For Vengeance (oppression of the poor) to destroy homeless people's tents?", I wouldn't call it a "serious, semi-scholarly discussions on theology and philosophy." You said that Peneto's responses in that subforum are what you're looking for. Most users on SD can't or won't do that. I'll admit that such a subforum could be abused by users with scruples (like Daniel) but I don't know which existing subforum moral theology questions should be asked in. Perhaps make it anonymous, too, so people can freely ask without fear of embarrassment.
Quote from: Maximilian on December 30, 2021, 11:15:48 AM
Quote from: Goldfinch on December 30, 2021, 10:36:10 AM
Quote from: Innocent Smith on December 30, 2021, 10:25:55 AM
If attending Mass, the ordinary form as celebrated everyday around the world be sinful, then the Church no longer exists. Period.
Rather, if the NOM were the lex credendi of the Church, then the Church would no longer exist. However, the true mass and the true sacraments still exist and will hold the candle of faith until Our Lord steps in to restore His Bride to her glory.
We could compare ourselves to the Catholics in England at the time of the Reformation. Was it sinful for them to attend Cranmer's service?
We have to remind ourselves that all the machinery of the "Church" continued in place. They had priests, bishops, churches, cathedrals. But all of them were using the new "Book of Common Prayer" instead of the Catholic Mass. Ordinary lay people could see with their own eyes an enormous entity that called itself the "Church," but did the true Church still exist in that situation? Meanwhile, in small hiding places in certain homes were a handful of true priests offering the true Mass at the risk of imprisonment, torture and death.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: GiftOfGod on December 29, 2021, 09:55:46 PM
If someone wanted to ask, for example, "Is it a Sin Crying to Heaven For Vengeance (oppression of the poor) to destroy a homeless people's tents?", I wouldn't call it a "serious, semi-scholarly discussions on theology and philosophy."

Historically, a question there is not scholarly in itself, but is seeking higher quality answers. The questions would be fine, but as you noted:

QuoteYou said that Paeniteo's responses in that subforum are what you're looking for. Most users on SD can't or won't do that.
Not all posts are long. It just so happens that the topics discussed are broader. It could be that an answer could be very succinct and properly cited.

That question though would have a longish answer because it cannot be answered simply and it would address that.

QuoteI'll admit that such a subforum could be abused by users with scruples (like Daniel) but I don't know which existing subforum moral theology questions should be asked in. Perhaps make it anonymous, too, so people can freely ask without fear of embarrassment.

I would support a change in the wording from this:

The Sacred Sciences
Here is the place to have serious, semi-scholarly discussions on theology and philosophy.

To this:

Philosophical and the Sacred Sciences
Serious, semi-scholarly discussions and questions on theology and philosophy, including dogmatic and moral theology

I would also add a sticky which briefly covered the topics and the expectations of the board's usage. I could write the sticky...if I haven't prepared one already.

TerrorDæmonum

Problem: Guilt by association

Solution: Make political commentary visible only to people logged in so guests cannot see it and spiders and crawlers won't index (or archive) it.

TerrorDæmonum

A new board dedicated for non-Sedevacantist posters only, so topics that are offensive to Sedevacantists can be protected from derailment.

This would allow people who want to discuss a topic without the assumption of non-Catholicity being present in the responses to do so.

GiftOfGod

Quote from: Pæniteo on December 30, 2021, 05:46:04 PM
A new board dedicated for non-Sedevacantist posters only, so topics that are offensive to Sedevacantists can be protected from derailment.

This would allow people who want to discuss a topic without the assumption of non-Catholicity being present in the responses to do so.
Or you could go to a trad forum where SVism is restricted to one board only. It's called FE.
If attending Mass, the ordinary form as celebrated everyday around the world be sinful, then the Church no longer exists. Period.
Rather, if the NOM were the lex credendi of the Church, then the Church would no longer exist. However, the true mass and the true sacraments still exist and will hold the candle of faith until Our Lord steps in to restore His Bride to her glory.
We could compare ourselves to the Catholics in England at the time of the Reformation. Was it sinful for them to attend Cranmer's service?
We have to remind ourselves that all the machinery of the "Church" continued in place. They had priests, bishops, churches, cathedrals. But all of them were using the new "Book of Common Prayer" instead of the Catholic Mass. Ordinary lay people could see with their own eyes an enormous entity that called itself the "Church," but did the true Church still exist in that situation? Meanwhile, in small hiding places in certain homes were a handful of true priests offering the true Mass at the risk of imprisonment, torture and death.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: GiftOfGod on December 30, 2021, 07:01:12 PM
Or you could go to a trad forum where SVism is restricted to one board only. It's called FE.

Suscipedomine.com it is called:

Quote from: The Rules Here
Sedevacantism:
1) Suscipe Domine recognizes Pope Francis as the Supreme Pontiff. Sedevacantists are invited and welcome to join and post. The forum's policy towards sedevacantists is taken from Abp. Marcel Lefebvre, "I do not say that the pope is not the pope... But I do not say that you cannot say the pope is not the pope."
2) It is necessary for every poster, including sedevacantists, to use a pope's regnal name when posting. Even anti-popes are afforded this respect. Immature name-calling will not be tolerated.

And there is a single board for that discussion:

The Sedevacantist Thesis

This is the place for any sedeplenist vs sedevacantist debates and discussion.

GiftOfGod

Quote from: Pæniteo on December 30, 2021, 07:05:53 PM
Quote from: GiftOfGod on December 30, 2021, 07:01:12 PM

Suscipedomine.com it is called:

Quote from: The Rules Here
Sedevacantism:
1) Suscipe Domine recognizes Pope Francis as the Supreme Pontiff. Sedevacantists are invited and welcome to join and post. The forum's policy towards sedevacantists is taken from Abp. Marcel Lefebvre, "I do not say that the pope is not the pope... But I do not say that you cannot say the pope is not the pope."
2) It is necessary for every poster, including sedevacantists, to use a pope's regnal name when posting. Even anti-popes are afforded this respect. Immature name-calling will not be tolerated.

And there is a single board for that discussion:

The Sedevacantist Thesis

This is the place for any sedeplenist vs sedevacantist debates and discussion.
That doesn't restrict it to that board.

TerrorDæmonum

Catholics should be able to ask simple Catholic questions here.

That was an approved prayer for quite a while now, and it has been thoroughly examined.

Whether people pray it or not is up to them. I only asked about the beads myself because I make chaplets and it seemed like a plausible question I could have for this purpose.

But it was really a test to see how scandalous being Catholic would be, and I got misleading answers and then some.

This kind of forum dynamic creates a feedback loop which encourages more radicalization.

Michael Wilson

My annual suggestion: A section for conversion stories.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Michael Wilson on January 02, 2022, 01:11:14 PM
My annual suggestion: A section for conversion stories.

Maybe the non-Catholic closed board could be repurposed for this.

(Steps for admin: move all posts from it to an archive board, visible or not, and then rename it and give it a new description.)

Jayne

I would like a stop to people giving medical advice on this forum.  In the past week I've seen  a recommendation to take aspirin and another to take zinc.  These are things that can cause serious consequences when taken in wrong quantities or when not needed. 
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

The Curt Jester

Just to be clear, if banning medical advice were a thing on this forum (and I highly doubt KK would do something like that), it should also apply to advising people to take a "vaccine" for which there is very little data available.  At least with the medications/supplements people have proposed taking, a person can do research on it, ask a [trustworthy] doctor about it, etc.  With the "vaccine", it's untested and has been out for a year.  How bad side effects are, or how many there are, or how long-lasting they will be, among other things --  all of those things are yet to be determined.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"