Author Topic: Forum improvements?  (Read 4259 times)

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
  • Religion: Catholic
Forum improvements?
« on: October 30, 2018, 06:36:21 PM »
What's some stuff you all would like to see happen around here to make it a livelier joint?

I've noticed activity has been slipping. 

Open to ideas all across the board. 

No personal attacks to me.  :P 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

The following users thanked this post: Christe Eleison

Offline Jacob

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
Re: Forum improvements?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 08:04:42 PM »
I have a suggestion.  I'd like to see what others say before making it.
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
--Neal Stephenson

Offline Maximilian

• Hauptmann
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 09:14:53 PM »

What's some stuff you all would like to see happen around here to make it a livelier joint?

I've noticed activity has been slipping. 

Yes, I've noticed too that activity has diminished greatly. I'm afraid there's nothing you can do unless you are secretly a cardinal with a vote in the conclave.

People are losing hope. It's like being in the bunker with Hitler. It's not much fun debating whether it will be 1 month or 2 months until the Russians show up in Berlin.

It has been demonstrated endlessly here on SD and elsewhere that the phoney pontificates of JPII and BXVI were an illusion. However, sometimes we need to cling to false hope when there isn't any other. Today with Francis, and the renewed scandal attacks on the Church, and the lack of any light on the horizon in any direction, there doesn't seem to be any hope at all.

Sometimes I long for those more innocent naive days when I still believed that JPII was going to restore the Church "any day now." 

P.S. Even this video is much more depressing than I realized. I posted it here because the many dozens of times that I heard it on the radio I always thought that it said:
"Oh, what I would not give for false hope now."
but today I find out that the actual lyrics are:
"No, I would not give you false hope, no."

The following users thanked this post: OCLittleFlower, Prayerful, Xavier, bigbadtrad

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Roter Fleisch, der Speck und Bourbon
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 10:42:12 PM »
Kick out atheists. You know who I am talking about. Especially that insidious little culture ham.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 03:00:29 AM »
Kick out atheists. You know who I am talking about. Especially that insidious little culture ham.
The atheists have been very inactive the last ... what, couple of months?

And yet activity remains low.  If anything, we can credit atheists with some forum activity.  ;)

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

The following users thanked this post: Maximilian

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 05:27:29 AM »
Ask Gregg and Jayne to put aside their differences and return to the forum. They've both made their point.
"It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry"

The following users thanked this post: Non Nobis, OCLittleFlower, Maximilian, diaduit, Xavier, Josephine87, Christe Eleison

Offline clau clau

• My other bike is a Pinarello
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Traditionalist videogamer - I only play 8-bit video games
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 06:58:51 AM »
Would you like to shake hands with Pope 1 or Pope 2 -
 me (inspired by Dr Seuss) see: https://seuss.fandom.com/wiki/Thing_One_and_Thing_Two

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.

The following users thanked this post: OCLittleFlower, MaximGun

Offline Lynne

• happy to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • We're all special snowflakes
  • Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 08:31:46 AM »

And yet activity remains low.

Their work is complete. Yay!

If anything, we can credit atheists with some forum activity.  ;)

That's a good business model for a trad forum.  :cheeseheadbeer:
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, MundaCorMeum, Xavier, Josephine87

Offline Xavier

• Mary, Queen and Protectress of our Faith, protect our Faith from all the Satanic threats to it. Mary, Refuge of Holy Love, grant us final perseverance in Grace and Holy Love forever.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Indian Catholic
    • Marian Apostolate Life Offering.
  • Religion: Catholic Christian (Roman Rite Latin Traditionalist)
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 09:28:38 AM »
I think it ebbs and flows based on whether major Church and world events are happening. Forum activity may temporarily seem to be down somewhat, but if something interesting happens, probably everyone will be posting and active again. And then it may be too much to handle!

Also, some traditionalists may be understandably battle-weary or just fatigued at bad news; maybe it is naivete, but I'm still hopeful. There are some good things happening. Let us all strive to fulfil the duties of our state and be apostles of prayer; other things will take care of themselves. I doubt there will be any permanent decline in forum activity.
Mary, our Heavenly Mother, implores those who receive Holy Communion Daily, or at least Weekly, to Offer their Lives. TEXT OF THE LIFE OFFERING, adapted and pluralized: Dear Lord Jesus, before the Holy Trinity, Our Heavenly Mother, and the whole Heavenly Court, united with Your most Precious Blood and Your Sacrifice on Calvary, We hereby Offer our whole Lives to the Intention of Your Sacred Heart and to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Together with our life, we place at Your disposal all Holy Masses, all our Holy Communions, all Rosaries, all acts of consecration, all our good deeds, all our sacrifices, and the suffering of our entire life for the Adoration and Supplication of the Holy Trinity, for Unity in our Holy Mother Church, for the Holy Father, Pope Francis the First; and for His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI. For His Eminence Patriarch Kirill of Moscow, His Excellency Metropolitan Hilarion, as well as His Eminence Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople, that they may re-unite their flocks with the Catholic Church, and there may soon be but One Fold and One Shepherd. For all the 220+ Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, for all 5500+ Bishops of the Universal Church that they may be true Apostles and Shepherds; and for the 400,000+ Priests, the 700,000+ Nuns, 50,000+ Monks, 100,000+ seminarians, that they may all become the Saints the Divine Will wishes them to be; we pray for good Priestly and Religious Vocations, and for All Souls until the end of the world. O my Jesus, please accept our life Sacrifice and our offerings and give us Your grace that we may all persevere obediently until death. Amen." https://marianapostolate.com/life-offering/ Please pray this daily and you and your family will be saved. You will avoid Purgatory.

Daily Morning Offering: O my God, in union with the Immaculate Heart of Mary,  I offer Thee the Precious Blood of Jesus from all the Altars  throughout the world, joining with It the offering of my every thought, word, and action of this day. I desire to gain every Indulgence and Merit I can, offering them, together with myself, to Mary Immaculate, Whom Thou hast appointed the dispenser of the merits of Thy Precious Blood, especially by means of this Scapular  [Here kiss your Brown Scapular] that She may best apply them to the interests of Thy Most Sacred Heart. Amen.

Consecration to Our Blessed Mother: My Queen, my Mother! I give myself entirely to Thee, and to show my devotion to Thee I consecrate to Thee this day, my eyes, my ears, my mouth, my heart, my whole being without reserve, Wherefore, good Mother, as I am Thine own, keep me, guard me, as Thy property and possession." http://www.catholictradition.org/Mary/morning-offering.htm

"I am the Lady of the Rosary. Pray the Rosary (i.e. 15 decades; 5 decades is a part of the Rosary) every day to obtain Peace for the World." ~ Our Lady of the Rosary of Fatima.

The following users thanked this post: mikemac

Offline Kaesekopf

• Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 09:32:27 AM »
I think it ebbs and flows based on whether major Church and world events are happening. Forum activity may temporarily seem to be down somewhat, but if something interesting happens, probably everyone will be posting and active again. And then it may be too much to handle!

Also, some traditionalists may be understandably battle-weary or just fatigued at bad news; maybe it is naivete, but I'm still hopeful. There are some good things happening. Let us all strive to fulfil the duties of our state and be apostles of prayer; other things will take care of themselves. I doubt there will be any permanent decline in forum activity.

So, how then, does this forum serve traditional Catholics to be boosted in their spiritual life?  Is there anything like that to be done by a forum?  Or is that proper to the church and only the church/spiritual writers/etc? 

How can we make this place more interesting to come to when there isn't some drama or news about Rome or the chanceries?

The following users thanked this post: Non Nobis, Xavier

Offline Kaesekopf

• Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 09:33:47 AM »

So, if I ban them, you all will post more?...   :cheeseheadbeer:

Offline Heinrich

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 12:24:14 PM »

So, if I ban them, you all will post more?...   :cheeseheadbeer:

Who are "them"? You asked that prior.

To answer your question, probably. There seems to be a decided upon inclination for at least two of these goons to post antagonistic threads or replies. "What if Theistic Evolution were true?" F--that for a topic on a Catholic forum. Question may appear innocuous enough, but the ethos of the poster and "arguant" is the poison.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne

Offline Jacob

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 12:46:09 PM »
Ask Gregg and Jayne to put aside their differences and return to the forum. They've both made their point.

This is my suggestion as well.
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
--Neal Stephenson

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Josephine87, Christe Eleison

Offline Heinrich

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 12:57:00 PM »

Laus, Jovan, and Bonaventure are missed, too. Whatever happened to Walty?

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, Chestertonian

Offline Kaesekopf

• Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 02:43:21 PM »

Laus, Jovan, and Bonaventure are missed, too. Whatever happened to Walty?

Laus is done posting on forums.  Jovan runs a blog but was never super active here.  Bonaventure is a hobo (:lol:) and Walty has life/family/work pulling him away from the Forum.