What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximilian

Quote from: red solo cup on December 17, 2016, 05:48:52 AM
The Seven Story Mountain by Thomas Merton. I read this about 15-20 years ago before I became Catholic. Thought I would reread it with fresh eyes.
It was like reading a completely different book.

I had that same experience a few years ago. Re-read it for the first time in 20 years. So much had gone past me the first time. Like the fact that he was a member of a communist cell just before he discovered his "vocation." He tries to play it off as youthful hijinks, but he provides enough details for the interested reader to realize that he was serious. When you think "Who were these men described by Bella Dodd?" it's clear that Merton must have been one of them.

Prayerful

Defending Constantine: The Twilight of an Empire and the Dawn of Christendom by Peter J Leihart. The Anglican author writes in defence of an emperor revered by EO as a saint, making a particular target of historians and polemicists who created this 'Constantinian Church' or 'Constantinian Shift' as popularised by the Memmonite writer John H Yoder. He shows Constantine the Great as a sincere Christian who tried his best to let Church councils (say over Donatism) rather than Imperial fiat govern it. I learned of it from the usually reliable Tradition in Act (let down a bit by highlighting some impossible letters of +Guerard des Lauriers OP which had +Marcel Lefebvre celebrating the New Mass before a missal for it existed).
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Christina_S

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Michael Wilson

Two really great books: "Pope Pius IX The Man and the Myth" very well written and documented; dispelling the myth of Pius IX once belonging to freemasonry (TIA); that he was once a liberal; that he entered the priesthood because he has unlucky in love or that he was rejected by the Papal guard. Probably more myths as I get more into the book.
https://www.amazon.com/Pope-Pius-IX-Man-Myth/dp/1892331314/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1482289151&sr=1-1&keywords=Pius+Ix+the+Man++and+the+Myth
The one I just finished: "Firebrand, the Life of Fr. Mateo Crawley-Boevey SS.CC" by Marcel Boquet. A very interesting life of this apostle of the enthronement of the Sacred Heart; the Kingship of Christ, the sanctification of the Clergy and of home and family life through the Home Enthronement and the holy hour of reparation in the home. A tireless missionary that went all over Europe, America and the Far East preaching the love of the Sacred Heart everywhere.
https://www.amazon.com/firebrand-Father-Mateo-Crawley-Boevey-SS-CC/dp/B0006BO72U/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1478453445&sr=1-1&keywords=Firebrand%2C+Marcel+Bocquet%2C+SS.CC
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Christina_S

Jesus: Our Eucharistic Love by Fr. Stefano Manelli

Cure d'Ars by Francis Trochu
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Fascination with Novelty

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

red solo cup

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Remarque.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Hannelore

Quote from: red solo cup on December 17, 2016, 05:48:52 AM
The Seven Story Mountain by Thomas Merton. I read this about 15-20 years ago before I became Catholic. Thought I would reread it with fresh eyes.
It was like reading a completely different book.

There's no way I could handle reading that book again. Absolutely no way.
My Lord and my God.

zork

Finally starting The Complete Father Brown Stories by GK Chesterton
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Hannelore

Quote from: zork on January 03, 2017, 04:11:57 PM
Finally starting The Complete Father Brown Stories by GK Chesterton

Those need to go back onto my to-read list!
My Lord and my God.

Prayerful

Medieval Maritime Warfare, Charles D Stanton, and soon will start No Parachute: a classic account of war in the air in WWI, sort of inspired by Battlefield: One and Rise of Flight United.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

clau clau

Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Hannelore

Quote from: clau clau on January 04, 2017, 04:51:17 AM
A Grief Observed - C S Lewis

Oh, man, I read that years ago during a really depressing period of my life. I should have taken notes: it would have been fascinating to have a record of my reactions and thoughts from that time, in that emotional state.  :tinfoil: :leaving: I've always been terrified of the thought of reading it again (which is good, since now I have first-hand experience and don't need to read about that kind of grief in books in an attempt to understand it.)

Oh, um, I also bought myself a $.99 kindle edition of the original, unabridged version of Mrs. Beeton's Guide to Household Management:whistling: :knit: It's like the "real" How to Be a Victorian;D But no, I'm not reading it for suggestions on how to run a house!  :lol:
My Lord and my God.

Christina_S

Finishing up "A Tale of Two Cities" and then re-reading "The Four Loves" by CS Lewis.

Fascination with Novelty

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.