What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Kaesekopf on May 16, 2023, 04:02:27 PM
Quote from: Bernadette on May 16, 2023, 03:59:35 PMI first listened to it on librivox.org, in an old translation. Then I got the Robin Buss translation on kindle. I enjoy both, mostly because the Brit reading the audiobook does fantastic accents.

The one thing that I find somewhat annoying, after 700 some pages, is the interchange of titles in French.  "Oh, so the Vicomte is a <so and so>".  Makes it a bit harder keeping track of the three dozen characters :lol:

I think there is more than three dozen characters.... :).  I love that book though. Gotta check out the librivox version
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Hannelore

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on May 20, 2023, 10:05:33 AM
Quote from: Bernadette on May 16, 2023, 03:59:35 PMI first listened to it on librivox.org, in an old translation. Then I got the Robin Buss translation on kindle. I enjoy both, mostly because the Brit reading the audiobook does fantastic accents.

The one thing that I find somewhat annoying, after 700 some pages, is the interchange of titles in French.  "Oh, so the Vicomte is a <so and so>".  Makes it a bit harder keeping track of the three dozen characters :lol:

I think there is more than three dozen characters.... :).  I love that book though. Gotta check out the librivox version
It's read by David Clark.
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow
non impediti ratione cogitationis

AlNg

I am reading Marcus Tullius Cicero: De Natura Deorum. He says that: "Ex quo exstitit illud, multa esse probabilia, quae quamquam non perciperentur, tamen, quia visum quendam haberent insignem et inlustrem iis sapientis vita regeretur." Which translates roughly as probability should guide the life of a wise person, because you cannot know some things with certainty, but still, they may possess a certain clarity which indicates that the wise man should support them.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on May 20, 2023, 10:05:33 AM

I finally finished it last week! 

It was good.  Just, a lot.  But, good.  :)
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Jean Carrier

Quote from: AlNg on June 03, 2023, 04:27:49 PMI am reading Marcus Tullius Cicero: De Natura Deorum. He says that: "Ex quo exstitit illud, multa esse probabilia, quae quamquam non perciperentur, tamen, quia visum quendam haberent insignem et inlustrem iis sapientis vita regeretur." Which translates roughly as probability should guide the life of a wise person, because you cannot know some things with certainty, but still, they may possess a certain clarity which indicates that the wise man should support them.

You should read De senectute (sometimes called Cato Maior) next. One of my favorites :cheeseheadbeer:, though De Natura Deorum is quite good too.
All mankind was in the ark with Noah : all the Church is with me on the rock of Pensicola!
- Pope St. Benedict XIII, in response to the emissaries of Anti-Emperor Sigismund and the Conciliarist Council of Constance who demanded his resignation

Hannelore

Bleak House. One of my favorite Dickens novels.
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

Buttertea at Sunrise. A year in the Bhutan Himalaya by Britta Das.

red solo cup

Einstein. The Life and Times by Ronald Clark

Hannelore

Japanese Myths, Legends, and Folktales, by Yuri Yasuda. I bought the kindle version to read to my niece. My grandma gave me an antique copy, signed by the author, when I was seven. I've loved it ever since. I love being able to read the same fairy tales that she enjoyed when she was little.
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

Quote from: Bernadette on July 09, 2023, 08:44:49 AMJapanese Myths, Legends, and Folktales, by Yuri Yasuda. I bought the kindle version to read to my niece. My grandma gave me an antique copy, signed by the author, when I was seven. I've loved it ever since. I love being able to read the same fairy tales that she enjoyed when she was little.

That's so sweet.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

truly-a-philosofan

Soul of the Samurai: Modern Translations of Three Classic Works of Zen & Bushido published in paperback by Tuttle Publishing.
Christ as the Source of all beauty:
« What surprised him (Blessed Henry Suso) most was to see Eternal Wisdom now under the aspect of a young maiden, the prodigy of heavenly and earthly beauty; now under the form of a young man whose countenance reflected all the beauties to be found on earth. »
St. Louis de Monfort, The Love of Eternal Wisdom, Chapter 11, no. 132.

red solo cup

The Human Factor by Graham Greene

Hannelore

Laddie, by Gene Stratton Porter. One of my favorites. A very wholesome, family type book.
My Lord and my God.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Bernadette on August 08, 2023, 09:07:28 AMLaddie, by Gene Stratton Porter. One of my favorites. A very wholesome, family type book.

A Girl of the Limberlost is one of my favorites
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace