The Catholic Archive: $30 for 300+ scanned, pre-Vatican II Catholic books!

Started by Geremia, May 24, 2014, 01:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geremia

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Kaesekopf

The owner has plugged this site before.  It looks wonderful. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

tmw89

Bumping because this site deserves it.  I have a subscription, and having read through only a little over 10% of its resources thus far, already I can see the $30 fee is a steal.  For the price of one brand new hardcover book, scans of hundreds of very hard to find Catholic resources... yes, please!  I highly encourage any on-the-fencers to "go for it," you won't be disappointed.
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Gardener

is it something you can only read online, or once in you can DL PDF's to a reader?
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

AugustineA

Took the plunge, seems legit. You can download the files. They are literally images though. I think it would be difficult for a phone or something to handle. There's some really cool stuff here though.. The type of stuff that probably wouldn't make it through a Catholic publishing house today.
He has clothed me with a robe of salvation, and wrapped me in a mantle of justice, like a bridegroom adorned with a diadem. -Isaiah 61

Geremia

Quote from: AugustineA on July 19, 2014, 02:47:13 PMThey are literally images though.
Upload it as a test item on Archive.org: https://archive.org/create/
Archive.org uses the state-of-the-art ABBY FineReader to OCR everything, so then you can just download a TXT file or PDF or DjVu with a text layer.

Geremia

QuoteDear Friends,

I want to thank you for your subscriptions to The Catholic Archive.  I hope that the material on the website has been intellectually and spiritually profitable.  I will be adding more titles in the coming days.

The reason for the email concerns a severe trial that my family and I are undergoing at this time.  It concerns a series of injustices that have occurred regarding my employment.  We are currently dangerously close to depleting our savings due to lack of stable work.  This familial crisis has prompted me to reach out to my friends who have subscribed to The Catholic Archive.  It is my hope that you might consider making a small donation through the website or recommending a subscription to a friend or family member.  Your charity will not go unnoticed and will have the certain effect of applying the healing oil of charity upon the wounds of the Mystical Body of Christ.

In J.M.J.+

Matthew Snyder

Please send any return correspondence to [PM me].

LouisIX

Man, that's a lot of Msgr. Fenton.

Can someone who has purchased this tell me about the scan quality?  If it is good, I will definitely be purchasing.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

LouisIX

Also, are they available for download or is it a read-only/online sort of thing?  I'd like to have copies saved on Dropbox or Google Drive.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

AugustineA

Definitely downloadable. Scan quality varies from okay to good. It's always readable, and the content makes up any bends in the page that come from scanning a book. If you've ever read PDF's that a professor has scanned himself for a class, that's pretty much it. Plus it's for a good cause.
He has clothed me with a robe of salvation, and wrapped me in a mantle of justice, like a bridegroom adorned with a diadem. -Isaiah 61

Kaesekopf

Item #248 The Last Writings of Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange

Do want.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Geremia

Quote from: LouisIX on July 20, 2014, 05:18:26 PMCan someone who has purchased this tell me about the scan quality?  If it is good, I will definitely be purchasing.
It's good but not OCRed.

Also, Bellarmine Forums has tons of OCRed Msgr. Fenton articles.

LouisIX

In all honesty, it is probably worth it for many single titles alone.  It's hard to come across certain works of say, Billuart or Hugon, even at university libraries.

I think I will take the plunge.

AugustineA

Yeah Louis!

Just do it guys. $30, read more, profit, support someone.