What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MilesChristi

Quote from: Maximilian on June 16, 2017, 07:32:10 PM
Quote from: MilesChristi on June 16, 2017, 06:59:07 PM
Just finished Out of the Silent Planet

Either returning to The Republic, or beginning Black Mischief

Are you going to finish the C.S. Lewis trilogy?

Can't go wrong with one of Waugh's funniest.

I will, this was my first crack at it. I'm basically just taking books from my library two at a time.
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Maximilian

Quote from: MilesChristi on June 16, 2017, 08:29:58 PM

I will, this was my first crack at it. I'm basically just taking books from my library two at a time.

My experience with the C.S. Lewis trilogy is that the first 2 books are kind of "meh" but still worth reading, while the third book is a true classic. Uneven, like all of Lewis's work, but the good parts deserve to be recognized right up there with "Brave New World" and "1984".

"Fairy Hardcastle," for example. Just in the past little while we've seen the rise of butch dykes taking over the world. Angela Merkel, Nicola Sturgeon, Ruth Davidson, Arlene Foster -- they all look like they could have a good shot at a casting call for playing Fairy Hardcastle.

Non Nobis

Quote from: Maximilian on June 16, 2017, 09:10:07 PM
Quote from: MilesChristi on June 16, 2017, 08:29:58 PM

My experience with the C.S. Lewis trilogy is that the first 2 books are kind of "meh" but still worth reading, while the third book is a true classic. Uneven, like all of Lewis's work, but the good parts deserve to be recognized right up there with "Brave New World" and "1984".

"Fairy Hardcastle," for example. Just in the past little while we've seen the rise of butch dykes taking over the world. Angela Merkel, Nicola Sturgeon, Ruth Davidson, Arlene Foster -- they all look like they could have a good shot at a casting call for playing Fairy Hardcastle.

I liked C.S. Lewis' "Perelandra" the best (for its imagery and analogies with Adam and Eve) and "That Hideous Strength" the least.  I agree "Out of the Silent Planet" was pretty meh.

Maybe I'll read "That Hideous Strength" again.  I agree it was like "1984" and "Brave New World". Maybe that's why I didn't like it.  Good books about a horrible world - I can't take too much of them.  But I guess this world is just about as bad.

Wikipedia has the following interesting bit on "Black Mischief"

QuoteThe book was criticised by the editor of the Roman Catholic paper The Tablet. Waugh had become a Roman Catholic in 1930 yet the editor condemned the book as "disfigured by outrageous lapses, which would be a disgrace to anyone professing the Catholic name."
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Maximilian

Quote from: Non Nobis on June 16, 2017, 09:45:37 PM

Wikipedia has the following interesting bit on "Black Mischief"

QuoteThe book was criticised by the editor of the Roman Catholic paper The Tablet. Waugh had become a Roman Catholic in 1930 yet the editor condemned the book as "disfigured by outrageous lapses, which would be a disgrace to anyone professing the Catholic name."

Those "outrageous lapses" are probably just the bits that make the book worth reading.

Pheo

Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

MilesChristi

MilesChristi

martin88nyc

Quote from: MilesChristi on June 22, 2017, 09:52:49 AM
Decline and Fall
How do you like this book? I read just about 30 pages of this one and really liked it. will go back to reading it once I finish something else I just started.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

MilesChristi

I liked it, but I didn't find it to be as funny as I thought it might be. There are definitely parts I laughed at, but I liked Black Mischief better on the humour department. It's worth reading.

martin88nyc

Do you guys know of any good noir or detective novels written by catholic/christian authors. I also love suspense and thriller genres.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Gardener

Quote from: martin88nyc on June 22, 2017, 09:38:38 PM
Do you guys know of any good noir or detective novels written by catholic/christian authors. I also love suspense and thriller genres.

The Fr. Brown series by Chesterton is probably the top hit on this. Personally, I didn't like the stories. They always felt like he left out key info in order to make Fr. Brown seem witty at the end. Then again, I felt the same way about Agatha Christie's stuff, so I probably just don't like the genre and you should take my thoughts on it with a grain of salt.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Gardener on June 22, 2017, 10:28:00 PM
Quote from: martin88nyc on June 22, 2017, 09:38:38 PM

The Fr. Brown series by Chesterton is probably the top hit on this. Personally, I didn't like the stories. They always felt like he left out key info in order to make Fr. Brown seem witty at the end. Then again, I felt the same way about Agatha Christie's stuff, so I probably just don't like the genre and you should take my thoughts on it with a grain of salt.
That's my reaction to the fr brown series too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

red solo cup

Deliver Us from Evil by Ralph Sarchie. Author is/was an NYPD cop who participated in many exorcisms. These were done in Connecticut with the permission of then Bishop Robert McKenna. Sarchie was a friend and admirer of Fr Malachi Martin. Martin was godfather to one of Sarchie's daughters. This book is a good supplement to Hostage to the Devil.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

martin88nyc

There is Father Brown (tv series). I watched a couple of episodes last year. Pretty cool.

MilesChristi