What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonaventure

Someone gave me a copy of "Betrayal," the Boston Globe's investigation that they turned into the movie Spotlight. I'm barely through chapter 1, but I'm absolutely disgusted so far with what I read. It's made me think for the first time in my life that our present crisis is necessary to purify the Church. Priests, bishops, and Monsignors allowed men totally incapable of living a priestly life into the ranks, the laity trusted these monsters, and they took away the innocence and scarred hundreds of little boys.

I'm just reading about Fr. Jack Goeghan, and my Lord. The man ought to have been hanged from a street lamp until he died. Raped or molested 200 boys. Tons of Bishops and priests knew about his danger to children, and they covered it up, shuffled him around, and even implored parents to not go public or to the police.

We cannot blame these monsters on the "Novus Ordo" either. These men received their formations years before Vatican II, and often began their treachery in the late 50s or early 60s.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Christina_S

Finished Brideshead Revisited tonight. Starting By Love Refined by Alice von Hildebrand.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

red solo cup

Quote from: Bonaventure on March 19, 2017, 07:46:57 PM
Someone gave me a copy of "Betrayal," the Boston Globe's investigation that they turned into the movie Spotlight. I'm barely through chapter 1, but I'm absolutely disgusted so far with what I read. It's made me think for the first time in my life that our present crisis is necessary to purify the Church. Priests, bishops, and Monsignors allowed men totally incapable of living a priestly life into the ranks, the laity trusted these monsters, and they took away the innocence and scarred hundreds of little boys.

I'm just reading about Fr. Jack Goeghan, and my Lord. The man ought to have been hanged from a street lamp until he died. Raped or molested 200 boys. Tons of Bishops and priests knew about his danger to children, and they covered it up, shuffled him around, and even implored parents to not go public or to the police.

We cannot blame these monsters on the "Novus Ordo" either. These men received their formations years before Vatican II, and often began their treachery in the late 50s or early 60s.
Geogan was killed in prison by his cellmate. He tied his hands behind his back and repeatedly jumped on his chest from the top bunk till he was dead.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Bernadette

Quote from: red solo cup on March 20, 2017, 04:41:17 AM
Quote from: Bonaventure on March 19, 2017, 07:46:57 PM

Geogan was killed in prison by his cellmate. He tied his hands behind his back and repeatedly jumped on his chest from the top bunk till he was dead.

Oh, God help us.  :pray3: That takes a certain amount and kind of conviction, and I just...shudder to think of it. The whole thing is horrific.  :pray3:
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

Quote from: Jacob on March 19, 2017, 07:41:29 PM
I received two of the Calvin and Hobbes treasury books for Christmas.  Just finished one tonight and will start on the second tomorrow probably.

In one of the weekly story arcs, Calvin and Hobbes flew to Mars in Calvin's wagon. :)

Someday, when the time is right, I will dive into Calvin and Hobbes with my customary abandon, and relish it.  :grin:
My Lord and my God.

attiret

I picked this up during a book haul for $1.47. Pretty interesting so far.

Mono no aware

attiret, have you ever read The Prague Cemetery, by Umberto Eco?  You might like it; it's quite remarkable.  It covers anti-Semitism, not in England, but in France and continental Europe in the late 19th century, and is wrapped in a dense Huysmans-esque fog.

attiret

Quote from: Pon de Replay on March 26, 2017, 06:43:55 PM
attiret, have you ever read The Prague Cemetery, by Umberto Eco?  You might like it; it's quite remarkable.  It covers anti-Semitism, not in England, but in France and continental Europe in the late 19th century, and is wrapped in a dense Huysmans-esque fog.

No, I have not! Thank you for the recommendation. When I get through this book I will look into it.  :)

Bernadette

Quote from: Pon de Replay on March 26, 2017, 06:43:55 PM

You know, more than one source has expressed shock at the fact that the Holocaust was started in Germany: apparently, France was seen as so much more anti-semetic than other countries (not sure whether at the time, or as a result of their history) that people were surprised that it didn't start there: it seemed so much more likely/in keeping with the overall attitude.
My Lord and my God.

attiret

Quote from: Bernadette on March 26, 2017, 07:06:36 PM
You know, more than one source has expressed shock at the fact that the Holocaust was started in Germany: apparently, France was seen as so much more anti-semetic than other countries (not sure whether at the time, or as a result of their history) that people were surprised that it didn't start there: it seemed so much more likely/in keeping with the overall attitude.

You should look into events in the USSR post-WWII!

Bernadette

Quote from: attiret on March 26, 2017, 07:19:18 PM
Quote from: Bernadette on March 26, 2017, 07:06:36 PM

You should look into events in the USSR post-WWII!
I've dabbled, but haven't given the subject any serious attention.
My Lord and my God.

Mono no aware

On second thought, I should maybe make that book recommendation with reservations.  One of the questions being teased at on this forum as of late seems to be, "is anti-Semitism Catholic or un-Catholic?"  I think the author's response to that question would be that it is (Catholic).  So, caveat emptor, depending on your position.

Spera In Deo

Pharmacology for Nursing by Lilley.  I can bet that no one else here is reading that.  LOL.

I am loving nursing school!
"What Catholics once were, we are. If we are wrong, then Catholics through the ages have been wrong.
We are what you once were. We believe what you once believed.
We worship as you once worshipped. If we are wrong now, you were wrong then. If you were right then, we are right now".

Robert DePiante

Bernadette

Quote from: Pon de Replay on March 26, 2017, 07:47:01 PM
On second thought, I should maybe make that book recommendation with reservations.  One of the questions being teased at on this forum as of late seems to be, "is anti-Semitism Catholic or un-Catholic?"  I think the author's response to that question would be that it is (Catholic).  So, caveat emptor, depending on your position.
Seriously?! Anti-semetism as was commonly expressed/practiced back in the day (and is commonly expressed/practiced now)?! Or the actual Catholic anti-semetism (which obviously isn't what the term has come to reflect), that says that Jews need to convert?
My Lord and my God.

Mono no aware

Quote from: Bernadette on March 26, 2017, 09:25:38 PM
Quote from: Pon de Replay on March 26, 2017, 07:47:01 PM
Seriously?! Anti-semetism as was commonly expressed/practiced back in the day (and is commonly expressed/practiced now)?! Or the actual Catholic anti-semetism (which obviously isn't what the term has come to reflect), that says that Jews need to convert?

Definitely the former.  If the only Catholic anti-Semitism was the opinion that "the Jews need to convert," then the book would never have been written.  Surely there is an historical Catholic attitude toward the Jews which is more than just a demand to convert.  From the Roman pogrom instituted by Pope Paul IV ("Cum Nimis Absurdum") to the Judensau to the inclusion of St. Simon of Trent in the Roman martyrology, there is a palpable thread of hostility and distrust going on there.  It's also one of the ongoing debates between the Novus Ordo Catholics (who believe that the Church ought to apologize for this history, as John Paul II did) and the traditional Catholics, who feel that there is precious little to apologize for, and that the cultus of St. Simon ought not to have been repressed, &c.

Even on this forum, I think a person can see a kind of casual anti-Semitism in random comments like "the Jew York Times."  The reader immediately understands the implication: that Jewish influence controls the mainstream media (and the banks, and the entertainment industry).  From there, one is a short skip away from ideas of dirty, bearded, hook-nosed old men gathering together in a cabal in the dead of night to plot the demise of the West.  Like the old French cartoons of the "Jewish octopus" with his tentacles in every cultural and political situation.  In fact, The Prague Cemetery is liberally peppered with illustrations in the form of such actual vintage drawings.  It's really a well-put-together novel, as are many of Eco's books.