What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Wilson

Quote from: red solo cup on January 21, 2015, 06:03:21 AM
Holyland USA: A Catholic Ride Through America's Evangelical Landscape by Peter Feuerherd.
Can you give me a  review; this sounds like an interesting book.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Adeodatus

"Tigers in the Mud" by Otto Carius. Mr. Carius just passed away on Jan 24th, 2015 at the ripe old age of 92.

Mr. Carius was highly decorated in WWII, twice winning his country's medal of valor as well as lesser decorations, and was credited with over 150 confirmed tank kills during his career. He also held various command positions. After the war, he became a pharmacist.
¡Viva Cristo Rey!
Sh'ma Yisrael Adonai Eloheinu Adonai E?ad

Kaesekopf

The Imitation of Christ.

Very interesting timing, and the bits I peeked at drew me in even more.  (I've read it before, but I need to re-read it).
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Clare

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 31, 2015, 11:01:18 AM
The Imitation of Christ.

Very interesting timing, and the bits I peeked at drew me in even more.  (I've read it before, but I need to re-read it).
I'll have to read that again soon. I read it a couple of years ago. Great book.

Now, though, I'm reading C S Lewis: A Life, by Alister McGrath.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

red solo cup

Quote from: Michael Wilson on January 24, 2015, 11:23:10 AM
Quote from: red solo cup on January 21, 2015, 06:03:21 AM
Holyland USA: A Catholic Ride Through America's Evangelical Landscape by Peter Feuerherd.
Can you give me a  review; this sounds like an interesting book.
The author used to write for the National Catholic Register and for his diocesan newsletter on Long Island. He became disillusioned by the sex scandal and left the church. He worked for a while at the American Bible Institute but got laid off. He wound up at Northwestern being paid by a grant from the Lilly Foundation to study major American religions. Buddhism, Scientology, Sikhs, Mormons etc. He traveled around quite a bit and spent time talking to evangelicals and Catholics observing the overlapping, grey areas between the two.
He feels that the press presents a world view of a strict divide between conservatives and liberals, Democrats and Republicans that isn't accurate. He sees fundamentalists and conservative Catholics as sharing similar views on things like abortion, immigration and homosexual marriage.
  Some of his conclusions:
That the Catholic church did a good job at preparing children with catechism and seeing to the needs of the elderly. He said where it fails is with teenagers. That evangelicals provide more opportunities for teens to socialize. That they are attracted to rock style music at their services. He also said that evangelical churches had numerous programs for dealing with community problems. Things like marriage counseling, addressing addiction, helping the unemployed. That these sorts of problems in Catholic parishes usually fell on overworked priests. That evangelical churches were more Oprah type self help and less moral chastisement. That the top down structure of the Catholic church didn't allow for flexibility in dealing with social needs.

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Michael Wilson

"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Chestertonian

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

red solo cup

Phillip II by William Thomas Walsh.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Rose

Quote from: Chestertonian on February 01, 2015, 03:37:11 PM
the little prince

I got a bit choked up when I read that first  :'( St. Exupery was a devout Catholic IIRC.
To Jesus through Mary.

Remember the Holy Souls!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Pheo

Just finished Mitre and Crook.  Glad I picked it up.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Baldrick

I spend about half my waking hours reading....

I'm reading sections of the Metaphysics and One Hundred Years of Modernism.  This is part of my variable reading - constantly changing month by month. 

Then I have my more or less permanent reading: Chaucer, Homer and Dante.  On the latter, I have near zero Italian and so I have been teaching myself the Tuscan dialect while making my way through La Divina Commedia.  Actually, i was thinking about starting a reading group around Dante this if anyone's interested. 

At night I'm now reading The Imitation of Christ - in Knox's translation.  It's a bitter hoe.  By the time I'm done with a few pages I feel pretty darn worthless, lol. 

OzarkCatholic

Revisiting Shakespeare's Henriad- Richard II, Henry IV 1&2, and Henry V. Teaching them to my Juniors and Seniors.

[yt]ngNXFbTwZZ4[/yt]
Feels like Groundhog Day again.

Jacob

Nothing at the moment, which which is nice since a few of the light bulbs in my living room where I read are burned out.  Need to replace those, but I'm not into bulbs that include mercury.

Finished Aubrey-Maturin in January before the Darkness.  The series ended well enough.  Overall, I enjoyed it.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Baldrick

Quote from: OzarkCatholic on February 12, 2015, 09:40:29 AM
Revisiting Shakespeare's Henriad- Richard II, Henry IV 1&2, and Henry V. Teaching them to my Juniors and Seniors.

[yt]ngNXFbTwZZ4[/yt]

That looks pretty good, is it?  I've served on a Shakespeare co. board for years, make a yearly trip to Stratford, and am pretty up on all-things-Shakespeare...how did I miss this?