What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

"Russians: The People Behind the Power" by Gregory Feifer. The author's mother was a Russian who married an American and emigrated
to the US. He was NPR's Moscow reporter where  he lived for years and traveled extensively in the country. He raised some of the following
points.
That Putin's relationship with Russia is less that of a president of a country and more like the Don of a mafia family.
That Putin skillfully uses PR to maintain his image. Oligarchs are allowed to amass wealth as long as they kowtow to him. People who
cross him get a visit from the dreaded Tax Police.
Although the government doesn't keep accurate records the author feels that the rate of alcoholism has tripled since the fall of the Soviet
Union.
That profits from oil and gas are going into the pockets of a few and very little is being  spent on infrastructure.
That although Russia produces good military hardware, their consumer goods don't compare well to those produced by other countries.
In spite of a lot of problems the author feels that Russia still produces world class art and literature and because they suffer, Russians
consider themselves morally superior to the West.

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Michael Wilson

That sounds like a very interesting book.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Heinrich

RSC: Anything mentioned on rates of abortion?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

red solo cup

Not offhand no. He did say that places like insane asylums and orphanages were often appalling.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Michael Wilson

I read in "30 Days" maazine, (during the late '90s-early 2000's) an account by two Catholic missionaries in the Russian far East; they stated,  that officially the average Russian woman has eight abortions; But they also said that in their opinion,  the real number was much higher.

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Heinrich

Quote from: Michael Wilson on July 14, 2014, 12:37:18 PM
I read in "30 Days" maazine, (during the late '90s-early 2000's) an account by two Catholic missionaries in the Russian far East; they stated,  that officially the average Russian woman has eight abortions; But they also said that in their opinion,  the real number was much higher.

How is that possible? Their is no way a woman can't come out of that unscathed? Horror.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Heinrich on July 14, 2014, 04:32:36 PM

How is that possible? Their is no way a woman can't come out of that unscathed? Horror.
Indeed, the two missionaries said that they couldn't even convince any women to carry their babies to term, and give them up for adoption; the spiritual damage wreaked by Communism in Russia, is very profound.

LouisIX

IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Jacob

The Far Side of the World by O'Brian.  Half way through the series!
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Heinrich

Quote from: LouisIX on July 15, 2014, 11:10:02 AM

HA! Druids ====> Christians ====> Toughest (mortal) dude to ever live: Richard II ======> illegal possession of France ======> Henry VIII ======> Empire =======> throne of NWO(City of London).

Good book.

LouisIX

Quote from: Heinrich on July 16, 2014, 12:42:56 PM
Quote from: LouisIX on July 15, 2014, 11:10:02 AM

HA! Druids ====> Christians ====> Toughest (mortal) dude to ever live: Richard II ======> illegal possession of France ======> Henry VIII ======> Empire =======> throne of NWO(City of London).

Good book.

Haha.  You've read it?  I'm happy with it so far, though I've only just begun.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Heinrich

I have not read it. Just providing a study guide. I am sure it is fascinating. Please edify us with some HK-esque observations that are not well known, but devastatingly "A HA!"/"HMMMM!" factoids.

Arun

Quote from: Michael Wilson on July 14, 2014, 08:18:53 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on July 14, 2014, 04:32:36 PM

Indeed, the two missionaries said that they couldn't even convince any women to carry their babies to term, and give them up for adoption; the spiritual damage wreaked by Communism in Russia, is very profound.

Russia is such a messed up country that people choose to use croc even though they know what it will do to them. thats harsh.

currently reading Black Belt Blueprint by Nic Gregoriades, Stretching Scientifically by Thomas Kurz and weighing up my options to factor in some spiritual reading again at long last. plus i'd like some recreational reading too, might have to go find me some more Chris Ryan books pretty sure there is still a couple i never read yet.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Clare

The Hobbit.

And, no, I've not read it before!  :-[
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Bernadette

Quote from: Clare on July 24, 2014, 07:34:27 AM
The Hobbit.

And, no, I've not read it before!  :-[

I've never been able to read that. I'm "reading" Librivox's latest Wilkie Collins book, The Queen of Hearts. Fun Victorian creepy stories loosely tied together by a romance.
My Lord and my God.