What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

The Price of Glory: Verdun 1916 by Alistair Horn
non impediti ratione cogitationis

red solo cup

Death in the Haymarket. A Story of Chicago, the First Labor Movement and the Bombing That Divided Gilded Age America by James Green

Bernadette

The Wind in The Willows. I was nearly grown when I first read it, and Kenneth Grahame's other works, but I fell in love with them immediately.
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

The Ghosts of Cannae: Hannibal and the Darkest Hour of the Roman Republic by Robert O'Connell

Bernadette

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, by Betty Smith. I've loved this book since I first read it at age 16.
My Lord and my God.

Kaesekopf

I whipped through Sphere by Michael Crichton.  Now I'm slowly making my way through Christian Perfection and Contemplation by Fr Garrigou-Lagrange, OP. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Bernadette on December 02, 2023, 08:17:07 PMA Tree Grows in Brooklyn, by Betty Smith. I've loved this book since I first read it at age 16.

I love that book.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Kaesekopf

I ran right through "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold" by John LeCarre.  It was pretty good.  I had seen his novels recommended online.  Chewed through it in under two days.  Pretty engaging story.  Kept me going from page to page, chapter to chapter.   

Also, gosh I am so happy about the Overdrive app or whatever you wanna call it.  In my state, at least, it coordinates the lending of ebooks via Amazon and my local public library.  Has saved me so much money and time (from buying fiction books or running to the library).  :lol:
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bernadette

My library doesn't have Overdrive. :(
My Lord and my God.

clau clau

Quote from: Bernadette on October 23, 2023, 06:52:21 PMThe Wind in The Willows. I was nearly grown when I first read it, and Kenneth Grahame's other works, but I fell in love with them immediately.

I liked "The Wind in the Willows". Have you read "The Willows in Winter"? I think it is by a different author (William Horwood) but has a similar theme. I think I liked it more that the original.
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Bernadette

Quote from: clau clau on December 06, 2023, 10:48:19 AM
Quote from: Bernadette on October 23, 2023, 06:52:21 PMThe Wind in The Willows. I was nearly grown when I first read it, and Kenneth Grahame's other works, but I fell in love with them immediately.

I liked "The Wind in the Willows". Have you read "The Willows in Winter"? I think it is by a different author (William Horwood) but has a similar theme. I think I liked it more that the original.
No, I'll look it up.
My Lord and my God.

LuxVera

1. Re-reading "Sir Gawain the Green Knight" again, but now in the original Middle English. I'm also reading it out-loud because of the amazing alliteration; which I feel can only be appreciated when you're attempting to pronounce everything.

2. "Deltora Quest: the Shifting Sands" by Emily Rodda.

3. Works of H.P. Lovecraft, I think I'm about to start "The Man outside of time"(?). I'm not too crazy about the whole Cthulu mythos but I love Lovecraft's writing style; descriptions of his characters and landscapes; and his fascination with hills lol. Plus his short stories have interesting conclusions.
"Keep innocency, and take heed unto the thing that is right: for that shall bring a man peace at the last."  -Psalm 37:38, Coverdale Psalter

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 06, 2023, 10:04:03 AMI ran right through "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold" by John LeCarre.  It was pretty good.  I had seen his novels recommended online.  Chewed through it in under two days.  Pretty engaging story.  Kept me going from page to page, chapter to chapter.   

Also, gosh I am so happy about the Overdrive app or whatever you wanna call it.  In my state, at least, it coordinates the lending of ebooks via Amazon and my local public library.  Has saved me so much money and time (from buying fiction books or running to the library).  :lol:

If you like overdrive.... check to see if they have Libby.  I like that one a lot for audio books. My library also has a roku app called Kanopy for streaming movies.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

red solo cup

The Siege of Mecca. The Forgotten Uprising in Islam's Holiest Shrine and the Birth of Al Qaeda by Yaroslav Trofimov

Bernadette

The Bone People, by Keri Hulme. I first read it when I was fifteen; and haven't reread it in at least ten years. It's like reading it for the first time all over again.
My Lord and my God.