Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

Jim Gaffigan: Obsessed. Very funny.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

piabee

The Numbers Station. My brother has been urging me to watch it for months and it was his birthday so he got to choose. It was okay.

red solo cup

City by the Sea. Not bad.

Mono no aware

Michael Wilson

Pon,
that looks really interesting; what is it about?
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Mono no aware

Quote from: Michael Wilson on July 03, 2014, 12:22:30 PM
Pon,
that looks really interesting; what is it about?

It's a quartet of Lafcadio Hearn's Japanese ghost stories, directed by Masaki Kobayashi.  It's highly mannered and atmospheric and stylized.  It has some of the qualities of Noh and Kabuki, yet it's supremely cinematic.  Some of the best color photography I've ever seen.  I'd seen another of Kobayashi's movies, Harakiri, which was very good.  But this one is a massive leap ahead, and terrific.

The first and last acts are more like bookends; the two middle sequences are the best.  One is about a pale, wintry demon masquerading as a virtuous young wife, and the other is about a blind lute player who performs nightly for an audience of drowned spirits at their seaside tomb.  He lives on the charity of religious people at a rustic little temple, and the monks have to paint his body with exorcism texts to protect him from the ghosts.  They neglect an important aspect of the ritual, however.

I rated it five stars on Netflix: "loved it."

verenaerin

Quote from: red solo cup on July 01, 2014, 07:17:41 AM
Jim Gaffigan: Obsessed. Very funny.

I love him. I got his book for Mr T for father's day.

Larry

Werner Herzog's 1979 version of Nosferatu.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Gerard

Godzills vs. Space Godzilla. 

poignant. 

Larry

You haven't lived until you've seen Godzilla's Revenge.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

red solo cup

I found the 1964 version of Mothra vs Godzilla  to be particularly compelling.

RedCaves

Edge of Tomorrow

Saw it about a week ago.

I thought it would be a terrible movie because the concept of a time loop would have been too complicated to understand.

I was wrong. It was great!!!

Still, I have unanswered questions about the time loop...

erin is nice

Moonrise Kingdom. I loved it.

piabee

red solo cup