Author Topic: The Two Popes Movie. To Be Released this Friday.  (Read 305 times)

Offline christulsa

• Feldwebel
    • The Okie Traditionalist Blog
  • Religion: Greg’s Kung Fu
The Two Popes Movie. To Be Released this Friday.
« on: December 16, 2019, 01:40:28 AM »
On Netflix, if you haven’t dropped it yet.  Catholic opinion so far tends toward the negative.  But I love Anthony Hopkins as an actor.  His choices of roles are usually smart.  Your impressions so far of the trailers and discussions?   Any chance the traditional stances of BXVI will be shown in a positive light?  That Hopkins will play that role in an historically honest way?   If not, he’ll have hell to pay from pro-Benedict trads.   But my bet is the film is pro-Bergoglio and anti-Ratzinger.  At any rate, I haven’t pulled the plug on Netflix (yet), so I’ll stay tuned this Friday night.  Discuss here.

Offline abc123

• Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Anglican

Offline Prayerful

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: The Two Popes Movie. To Be Released this Friday.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 06:24:12 PM »
Seems like propaganda.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

The following users thanked this post: TheReturnofLive

Offline clau clau

• My other bike is a Pinarello
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Traditionalist videogamer - I only play 8-bit video games
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 06:37:02 PM »
Read any book by Malachi Martin instead.  Much more entertaining.  I would recommend the Jesuits or Vatican.
Would you like to shake hands with Pope 1 or Pope 2 -
 me (inspired by Dr Seuss) see: https://seuss.fandom.com/wiki/Thing_One_and_Thing_Two

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.

Offline christulsa

• Feldwebel
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 10:33:08 PM »
I plan to watch it and give a Catholic review.  And then, yeah, probably cancel Netflix.   Have been thinking to for the last couple months, but I've been watching this lately:  https://www.netflix.com/title/80126646   Most of my video viewing is YT anyway, a couple bush craft/cabin in the outdoors channels.   That said, I am looking forward to seeing how Hopkins, my favorite actor, plays BXVI.  It better not be just as a weak, frail, fundamentalist from the past.

:popcorn:

Offline christulsa

• Feldwebel
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 10:34:23 PM »
One out of five stars.  The only plus is the occasionally amusing interaction between the “two Popes.”   Otherwise a completely intellectually dishonest inverse portrayal of Bergoglio vs Ratzinger.  A bad mark on Hopkins’ legacy.  An impetus, yep, to cancel your Netflix this Christmas season (there’s an even worse new Netflix holiday film).

The story begins with Pope Francis humbly trying to book his own plane flight.  Flashback scenes unfold of a humble Cardinal Bergoglio doing street ministry in Argentina, saying Mass in the street like a political community gathering.  There is the requisite Hollywood comparison of the future Francis to St. Francis of Assisi “rebuilding the Church.”   He is then told JPII died and called to the 2005 conclave.

Next, scenes clearly paint Bergoglio as apolitical vs Ratzinger as the mastermind arranging his own election.  Again, an inverse of the historic record.  The acclaimed book Dictator Pope demonstrates otherwise.  At one point Ratzinger tells a priest he knows of Bergoglio as a “major leader for reform,” but Bergoglio keeps acting like he is a passive figure when approached by Cardinals, whereas Ratzinger is moving about politicking with colleagues and even nods in approval at votes cast for him.  Bergoglio, on the other hand, sits like a disinterested lamb on the other side of the Sistine Chapel.  After Ratzinger is elected, Bergoglio just for a moment shows his true colors, with an irritated affect he says he plans now to retire since Ratzinger was elected.   For him, it was in fact a political defeat for his liberal party (St Gallen Mafia, and the attempt to elect him).   At least for a moment, the film is subtly honest.

It’s now 2013.  Bergoglio is called to Castel Gandolfo to talk to Pope Benedict, resignation letter in hand (apparently the dramatized version of Bergoglio took eight years to follow through on his resignation plans).   Enter Hopkins’ portrayal of Benedict's personality.  For a famous Shakespearean actor, considered by many to be the best living actor, whose past sympathies towards traditional Christian themes you would think would keep him honest enough to portray this historic figure at least somewhat accurately, his portrayal wasn’t even remotely a reflection of Joseph Ratzinger.  His German accent and mild Bavarian personality are almost deliberately marginalized.  He eats dinner alone, is anti-social, unfriendly, closed off, stiff, hard-hearted, and doctrinaire.  None of those are the day to day Benedict-Ratzinger.  Rather it is Hollywood’s personalizing of traditional Catholic teaching.  Hopkins is the knowing puppet for their propaganda.

It’s an act of calumny.  Every humble, informal gesture of Bergoglio is like pruning his outward wool coat to make him look like an innocent sheep, while Bergoglio makes Ratzinger look in several scenes as himself the wolf in sheep’s clothing.  He is reluctant to dress in bishops’ cassock, listen to the pope’s criticisms of his unorthodoxy, or even spend the evening with him listening to music.  He is inpatient and proud, above correction, unapologetic, and there for one aim, to get Benedict to accept his letter of resignation.  The aim is obvious:  make the audience think Bergoglio is the good hero and Benedict the backward tyrant. 

And here is where the film turns from inaccuracy to unbridled propaganda.  Benedict reveals to him his plan to resign the papacy, to not accept Bergoglio’s resignation, having had a “change of heart” saying “maybe the Church needs right now a Bergoglio.”   The implication is Benedict learned that his doctrinal stance was based, as he suggests, on spiritual pride.   Here is where the two start to “dialogue” with each other over pizza and jokes.  In the closing scene, the future “two Popes” are enjoying an evening at the Pope Emeritus’ residence watching soccer. 

Conclusion, the film is a flop.  Most intelligent, informed viewers know the Obama’s and liberal political powers control Netflix.  And that they have turned Netflix into a smut-filled, liberal party propaganda tool.   And the next time he visits the drama class at conservative Thomas Aquinas College, it would be good for him to be asked “Sir Anthony, like, hello, what were thinking?”

https://okietraditionalist.blogspot.com/2019/12/a-traditional-catholic-review-of.html
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 11:05:24 PM by christulsa »

The following users thanked this post: Pon de Replay, ciftdaniel

Offline Jacob

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 12:10:17 PM »
I watched this last night.  Chris is on the money.  I had to stop after the bigger scenes and just rest for ten minutes before moving on in the movie.  There was a scene where Francis was trying to explain to Benedict about the Beatles and Abbey Road...  Dude, the guy wore a suit to Vatican 2, I doubt he was that disengaged from the Sixties!  Obviously that detail was just the least of it, but it grated.  They had nice flashback scenes humanizing fake-Jorge Bergoglio, but hey, fake-Joseph Ratzinger sprang to life and immediately became High Inquisitor!
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
--Neal Stephenson

The following users thanked this post: Pon de Replay

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 05:50:52 AM »
Watched it last night. Complete BS. According to them the term "angels" is a 13th century invention. You couldn't help but love Bergoglio. He was just so..so.. HUMBLE.
"It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry"

The following users thanked this post: Pon de Replay

Online TheReturnofLive

• The Prodigal Son, except I do it at least once a week
  • Wachtmeister
  • All Angels of God, pray for me, a sinner
  • Religion: Unsure Traditional, Liturgical, Apostolic Christian
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2019, 10:08:39 AM »
Watched it last night. Complete BS. According to them the term "angels" is a 13th century invention. You couldn't help but love Bergoglio. He was just so..so.. HUMBLE.

If that is true (I haven't seen it and don't plan to see it), to use my favorite term, "res ipsa loquitor."

How ridiculously ignorant of even the Bible do you have to be to believe that?

It's shocking how many people, claiming to be the light-bringers of our "darkened, spiritually vapid intellect," have no authoritative grounds to stand on, but are given grounds by others to stand on. While I may be a "Neo-Pelagian Pharisee", what kind of person, who has taken their Faith so seriously and prioritized it so much in their life, hasn't encountered an angel in the Bible?

If it's a question about the developments of angelic theology, the idea of an angel being an immaterial creation started from at least the 2nd to 3rd century, as I have butted heads with Kreuz about.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 10:14:21 AM by TheReturnofLive »
"I have conquered an Empire but I have not been able to conquer myself." - Tsar Peter the Great

The following users thanked this post: Prayerful

Offline Pon de Replay

• Feldwebel
  • Religion: Agnostic
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 08:38:27 PM »
I watched this last night.  Chris is on the money.  I had to stop after the bigger scenes and just rest for ten minutes before moving on in the movie.  There was a scene where Francis was trying to explain to Benedict about the Beatles and Abbey Road...  Dude, the guy wore a suit to Vatican 2, I doubt he was that disengaged from the Sixties!  Obviously that detail was just the least of it, but it grated.  They had nice flashback scenes humanizing fake-Jorge Bergoglio, but hey, fake-Joseph Ratzinger sprang to life and immediately became High Inquisitor!

Agreed.  There were a lot of cringe-y moments in it, but the "Benedict is ignorant of the Beatles / Francis loves Yellow Submarine" scene was probably the worst.  I also hated, in terms of the Beatles, that there was a gooey cover of "Blackbird" on the soundtrack towards the end.  There is little to say of the terrible characterizations that Chris hasn't already said.  I will say that I was surprised the cinematography was so bland, given that the director is Fernando Meirelles, whose City of God (2002) was one the best-looking color films of the last two decades. 

I thought the flashbacks to Francis' past in black-&-white were very poorly done: sometimes in pillarbox, other times not, and then rudely interrupted by those color scenes of the young Jorge on a rocky precipice with a heavenly light coming out of the clouds.  Aesthetically, I think that if you switch aspect ratio during a film, you're obligated to frame it on all four sides, like in the intros for Magnolia and Mean Streets, or in the second portion of Tabu (2012).  But that may be a personal eccentricity.

Anyway, thumbs down.