What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

Age of Ambition. Chasing Fortune, Truth and Faith in the New China by Evan Osnos. For all the changes in China, corruption is still the byword. It costs about a million yuan in bribes to become a general in the army. The expectation being to make 10 million in one's "career". Makes you wonder how well China would do in a war.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Prayerful

Crypts of London, Malcolm Johnson. This covers inhumation in the Anglican churches of London. It meant income for rectors, but after a time it often meant a bad smell and hygiene issues. It covers history but also focusses a lot on the practicalities. Most church burials were banned in the 1850s and usually after that remains both old and new were moved to common plots in suburban or urban cemeteries carefully design to avoid the old issues.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Christina_S

Never Split The Difference by Chris Voss. Also Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Hannelore

My Lord and my God.

Tennessean

I'm reading Suttree after finishing Blood Meridian.

Hannelore

The War That Saved My Life, by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley. It's a young adult historical novel. Pretty good.
My Lord and my God.

GMC

Reasons to Believe by Abbot Yves Moureau.

Hannelore

In This Corner of the World . A manga about a young woman during WWII in Japan.
My Lord and my God.

Christina_S

The Vaccine-Friendly Plan by Dr. Paul Thomas. Borrowed from a library, but it's so good I might end up buying a copy.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Prayerful

Burning the Big House[i/], Terence Dooley which covers the years preceding and those years of the early 1920s where many, many country houses were burnt. Sometimes it might relate to an aristocrat's forceful support then and before for the British connection, perhaps support for RIC auxiliaries (like the 'Black and Tans'), menaces to estate workers to enlist in WW1 or be dismissed, hostility from a mix of things like historic poor relations, including memories of the Famine, but also graziers or their sons who wanted the untenanted lands that former landlords let out for cattle grazing. Many were empty, but others had seen the death of sons in WW1 (thanks to the tactics which ensured officers perished in huge numbers), so younger landowner families without an adult male were vulnerable enough.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

red solo cup

Landscape Turned Red. The Battle of Antietam by Steven W. Sears
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Hannelore

1,001 Nights, the new translation by Malcolm C. Lyons.
My Lord and my God.

Mono no aware

GMC

The whole Bible from Genesis to Revelation. I have read parts of the Bible, but never all of it.

Hannelore

Dragonfly in Amber, by Diana Gabaldon. It's not particularly good but I spent a credit on it so I feel like I should finish it.
My Lord and my God.