What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerEvangelicaDicta

They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Lynne

Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on August 28, 2017, 10:19:33 AM
QuoteThis web comic does a good compare/contrast:
https://biblioklept.org/2013/06/08/huxley-vs-orwell-the-webcomic-2/

+1

Wow. We're there... I wonder if it would be ironic to post it on Facebook.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Clare

Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Birdie

I've just started James Joyce's Ulysses for the first time. I got it for free from Audible, read by my favorite narrator. :)
My Lord and my God.

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Lynne

red solo cup

What I Saw at the Revolution: A Political Life in the Reagan Era by Peggy Noonan. The author had been a writer/editor at CBS News and became a speech writer in Reagan's 2nd term. For a while her boss was the legendary Pat Buchanan. She also wrote for George Bush and was the one who came up with a Thousand Points of Light.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Lynne

Quote from: red solo cup on September 07, 2017, 05:43:39 AM
What I Saw at the Revolution: A Political Life in the Reagan Era by Peggy Noonan. The author had been a writer/editor at CBS News and became a speech writer in Reagan's 2nd term. For a while her boss was the legendary Pat Buchanan. She also wrote for George Bush and was the one who came up with a Thousand Points of Light.

And then she voted for Obama...

Prayerful

The Memoirs of Louis Bouyer which combine vivid evocation of a vanished world of Paris before the Great War with an extraordinary intellect and deep faith. His contempt for and embarrassment at a liturgy (the supposed Novus Ordo Missae) he worked hard despite growing disillusionment is clear. The translated term 'pathetic creature' waters down a term which could translate as an aborted foetus. His phrasing in regard to Mgsr Bugnini suggests that while Fr Bouyer was very possibly a Freemason or under their control, he was moreover a notable deceiver who pushed dubious work on Concilium waverers by claims that Paul VI willed it, and gave illicit support to dubious liturgical experimentation in northern Europe. Fine book, though I'm sad my very limited French forces me to resort to translation.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

MilesChristi

Going to try The Iliad again. Have the time and, hopefully, the attention span for it now.

Regina Caeli

Quote from: MilesChristi on September 15, 2017, 10:02:03 AM
Going to try The Iliad again. Have the time and, hopefully, the attention span for it now.

I love The Iliad. Are you reading it in Greek or in translation?

MilesChristi

Quote from: Regina Caeli on September 15, 2017, 11:09:13 AM
Quote from: MilesChristi on September 15, 2017, 10:02:03 AM

I love The Iliad. Are you reading it in Greek or in translation?

Translation, I haven't really begun to learn Attic Greek, let alone Homeric

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Lynne on September 07, 2017, 05:50:16 AM
Quote from: red solo cup on September 07, 2017, 05:43:39 AM

And then she voted for Obama...

For serious?
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.