What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prayerful

Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on July 20, 2017, 11:11:01 PM
Quote from: Prayerful on July 06, 2017, 01:13:23 PM
Peter Crawford, Constantius II: Usurpers, Eunuchs and the Anti-Christ. The title is a bit over the top, and the author is rather negative about St Athanasius, but it is a strong account of a a ruthless and very able Emperor (a dealer of death to family rivals and those who failed him, usurpers, rebels, one bishop, civil and military officials who couldn't play politics well enough, and Sassanid generals and Germanic warlords) who suffered a lose of repute due to the hostility of historian and Guard officer Ammianus Marcellinus and Church historians due to his harsh upholding of a semi-Arian position.

thank you for the summary.

Welcome.

Similar enough thing now, covering what the author, John S Harrel calls Nisibis War, the defence of the Roman East Ad 337-363, which has roughly the same end point when Julian the Apostate recklessly and unwisely hazards the Roman East on almost a turn of the card, a full scale invasion of Sassanid Emperor. Not too far in, but Peter Crawford noted that Constantius husbanded Roman resources well enough in the East, but his successful and fairly economic defensive posture in three theatres of war had no glory to it. His austere, chaste, military existence gain the respect of his troops, but outside of that, limited respect from those who wrote history. Julian the bearded philosopher king hoped to be Trajan and Alexander, which didn't work out. I wonder how this author will reckon it. This author is more focussed on logistics, less so on other aspects, but they aren't neglected.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Matto

https://www.tanbooks.com/index.php/saints/cure-d-ars-st-jean-marie-baptiste-vianney.html

I am reading this biography of the Cure of Ars. I got it for my birthday last year and am reading it for the second time now. I highly recommend it. His life is very impressive and this book is readable. He is one of my favorite saints. I love this book and also a book of his sermons that I also own. I think it is very inspiring.
I Love Watching Butterflies . . ..

kayla_veronica

The 4 Temperments by Rev. Conrad Hock
May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.

red solo cup

Arthur and Sherlock: Conan Doyle and the creation of Holmes by Michael Sims. Fans of Sherlock Holmes will enjoy this.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Clare

Screwtape Proposes a Toast, by C S Lewis
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Michael Wilson

The Church Under Attack; Five Hundred Years That Split the Church and Scattered The Flock.
Diane Moczar.
Amazon review:https://www.amazon.com/Church-Under-Attack-Diane-Moczar/dp/1933184930
QuoteHere's an unabashedly Catholic history that documents scores of sustained and unprecedented assaults on our Catholic Faith these past five centuries and delineates our Church's brave response to each one.

For five hundred years, from Luther to Marx, through Darwin, Hitler, and Rousseau, wave after wave of cynical anti-Catholic men and movements have wrought havoc even worse than that of Attila the Hun and Genghis Khan, leaving our once noble Christendom a ruined city, devastated politically and spiritually, morally and intellectually.

They've ripped the heart from our culture's chest: the Catholic Faith that once gave life and strength to her body. They've wounded even the Church herself.

Celebrated Catholic historian Diane Moczar counters here with an unflinching sketch of these five woeful centuries with sound reasons for hope. For, as she demonstrates, even after five hundred years of sustained persecution, our Church has not merely survived, but continues in many places to flourish.

Almost two thousand years ago, Tertullian noted that the "blood of the martyrs is the seed of the Church," a truth borne out these past five hundred years.

Time after time, as Moczar shows, persecution has not snuffed out the Faith, but has brought forth great saints whose holy deeds and brave examples frustrated their persecutors by communicating to the besieged Church a vigor greater than that of her persecutors.

These pages will renew your confidence that the Church is indeed Christ acting in the world and that no matter how strong or ruthless or vicious her opponents, she will not be vanquished but will endure to the end of time.
I've read 90 pages so far, and it is a very interesting book, as it outlines the great crisis that have affected the Church and Europe over the past 500 years. Does not go into great depth, but gives a suggested reading list at the end of the book for those who wish to dig deeper into any of the subjects of her chapters.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Gardener

Quote from: Michael Wilson on August 09, 2017, 10:38:26 AM
The Church Under Attack; Five Hundred Years That Split the Church and Scattered The Flock.
Diane Moczar.
Amazon review:https://www.amazon.com/Church-Under-Attack-Diane-Moczar/dp/1933184930
QuoteHere's an unabashedly Catholic history that documents scores of sustained and unprecedented assaults on our Catholic Faith these past five centuries and delineates our Church's brave response to each one.

For five hundred years, from Luther to Marx, through Darwin, Hitler, and Rousseau, wave after wave of cynical anti-Catholic men and movements have wrought havoc even worse than that of Attila the Hun and Genghis Khan, leaving our once noble Christendom a ruined city, devastated politically and spiritually, morally and intellectually.

They've ripped the heart from our culture's chest: the Catholic Faith that once gave life and strength to her body. They've wounded even the Church herself.

Celebrated Catholic historian Diane Moczar counters here with an unflinching sketch of these five woeful centuries with sound reasons for hope. For, as she demonstrates, even after five hundred years of sustained persecution, our Church has not merely survived, but continues in many places to flourish.

Almost two thousand years ago, Tertullian noted that the "blood of the martyrs is the seed of the Church," a truth borne out these past five hundred years.

Time after time, as Moczar shows, persecution has not snuffed out the Faith, but has brought forth great saints whose holy deeds and brave examples frustrated their persecutors by communicating to the besieged Church a vigor greater than that of her persecutors.

These pages will renew your confidence that the Church is indeed Christ acting in the world and that no matter how strong or ruthless or vicious her opponents, she will not be vanquished but will endure to the end of time.
I've read 90 pages so far, and it is a very interesting book, as it outlines the great crisis that have affected the Church and Europe over the past 500 years. Does not go into great depth, but gives a suggested reading list at the end of the book for those who wish to dig deeper into any of the subjects of her chapters.

I have her book, "Seven Lies about Catholic History: Infamous Myths about the Church's Past and How to Answer Them".

It's a pretty good book. She does a good job of cutting through modern myths.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Matto

https://www.tanbooks.com/index.php/life-of-st-gemma-galgani.html

I am reading the Life of St. Gemma Galgani again. I have a devotion to her and pray to her often. She had many mystical experiences and had the stigmata on Thursday evenings and Fridays for a while. She died in 1903.
I Love Watching Butterflies . . ..

red solo cup

The Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius. I always suspected I was a bad catholic. Now I'm sure.

Christe Eleison

Quote from: red solo cup on August 20, 2017, 04:08:24 AM
The Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius. I always suspected I was a bad catholic. Now I'm sure.

Could you please give us a brief summary on the book you read?
It would probably be helpful to a lot of us. Thank you. God bless you  :pray1:

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Christe Eleison on August 20, 2017, 10:58:53 AM
That should be a general rule of thumb for all posters on this thread; also, it would be nice if the poster would state their own opinion of the book and the reasons thereof.

"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

red solo cup

Quote from: Christe Eleison on August 20, 2017, 10:58:53 AM

The book  is primarily designed for retreats but I got a lot out of it from the reading. It's set up for a month of spiritual activity divided into four weeks. Each week has different emphasis but all have preparatory prayers and various exercises on such things as overcoming sin, giving up attachments, confession etc. There's a lot of contemplation with a section at the back of biblical passages to consider. One thing it's heavy on is what we would call visualization. Putting yourself there at the Last Supper, the Crucifixion, in the sepulchre  etc.  To see it. Hear it. To make it vivid. All to put you in the mind of Christ.
The book was quite good and I know I'll be rereading it in the future.