What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

My Life With Thomas Aquinas by Carol Robinson. A series of essays from Integrity Magazine written from  1946 to 1956 on applying Aquinas to
modern problems. From Angelus Press. Very good and still quite relevant.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Prayerful

Ian Hughes, Patricians and Emperors: The Last Rulers of the Late Roman Empire, also Medieval Christianity: A New History, more slowly.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

alicewyf

I just read a book called Escape by Carolyn Jessop about her time in the FLDS. Such an evil cult of a religion. The book made me so angry.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: red solo cup on April 22, 2016, 05:29:30 AM
My Life With Thomas Aquinas by Carol Robinson. A series of essays from Integrity Magazine written from  1946 to 1956 on applying Aquinas to

I have this book.

I need to read it.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Lynne

Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 22, 2016, 03:13:13 PM

I have this book.

I need to read it.

Of course you do!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Lynne on April 22, 2016, 03:18:15 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 22, 2016, 03:13:13 PM

I have this book.

I need to read it.

Of course you do!

:lol:

I'm working on stopping!  Honest!  :lol:

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Christina_S

This sounds really good.
Finished A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I will be returning to that one in the years to come, for sure.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Kaesekopf

Hounds of the Lord.  Got it from the local seminary library.  Great book so far.

alicewyf

I'm afraid I might be opening a can of worms here, but has anyone read Spiritual Blackmail: My Journey Through A Catholic Cult by Sherri Schettler? Sounds interesting. About CMRI. Is there an alternate viewpoint available?

Prayerful

King of Kings: The Triumph and Tragedy of Emperor Haile Selassie I of Ethiopia by Asfa-Wossen Asserate. His great grandmother was Empress of Ethiopia and his great grandfather Ras Kassa arguably had a stronger claim than Ras Tafari having two lines of relevant descent, not just the Shoan Solomonic line, but also descent from the Gondarine-Lasta line of earlier Emperors. His father was the chief advisor the Emperor. Although written by a Prince of the Imperial House, it has the detachment of the analyst and scholar he has been for years. He identifies neatly an element of the patriotic-Resistance forces were severely alienated after the Italians were ejected, and that this alienation was passed down to the children, and was possibly the nemesis of the Imperial House.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Kaesekopf

The Divine Office: How to say it devoutly, how to make it a pleasure

red solo cup

Quote from: alicewyf on April 29, 2016, 02:31:21 PM
I'm afraid I might be opening a can of worms here, but has anyone read Spiritual Blackmail: My Journey Through A Catholic Cult by Sherri Schettler? Sounds interesting. About CMRI. Is there an alternate viewpoint available?
I read that the author was a lesbian. Did she address that in her book?
non impediti ratione cogitationis

alicewyf

Quote from: red solo cup on April 29, 2016, 04:08:35 PM
I read that the author was a lesbian. Did she address that in her book?

I am not sure. I haven't read it yet. I think I might get it through my library so I'm not giving this lady money if I think she has questionable motives for writing the book. I don't know much about CMRI though, other than what I've read online. I don't like to read just one side of things, especially Catholic related issues. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a book about CMRI.

GeorgeT

EWTN: A Network Gone Wrong. I was inspired to read it after Mother Angelica's death. I had tried reading it years ago but lost interest because of the first part of the book. The first part explains why V2 was problematic using the arguments with which I was already very well familiar. I should have stuck it out. The later parts are very interesting.
Check out my Lives of the saints comics!

http://tautkusstudio.com/pb/wp_8bec74cf/wp_8bec74cf.html

Deirdre

Little Britches: Father and I Were Ranchers, by Ralph Moody. I absolutely love this book. :) Such a heartwarming, moral story.
My Lord and my God.