What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Bernadette on December 08, 2022, 02:45:07 PM
Dragonfly in Amber, by Diana Gabaldon. It's not particularly good but I spent a credit on it so I feel like I should finish it.

Have you read any of her other books?
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Birdie

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on December 08, 2022, 04:39:42 PM
Dragonfly in Amber, by Diana Gabaldon. It's not particularly good but I spent a credit on it so I feel like I should finish it.

Just Outlander.
My Lord and my God.

Birdie

They Called Us Enemy, by George Takei, about the Japanese internment during WWII.
My Lord and my God.

Prayerful

I've read some books which are really heavy weather, badly editing and so I give up, but I return and find that after the start, the book can be quite good.

UnRoman Britain, Miles Russell, Stuart Laycock which advances the thesis that Roman authority there was stoutly resisted and fairly superficial with most continuing to live in roundhouses and hillforts even after villas bloomed in the third and fourth centuries. It notes particularly how militarised civilian late Roman deposits became with military belts, knives, spear heads, military darts and arrow heads. It was a basic Roman idea that civilians could not bear arms, but after the country had been largely denuded of troops by claimants such as Magnus Maximus (who has a long afterlife in Welsh legend and another claimant Allectus seemed to have been a name used by some Welsh suggested he too was in legends now lost), plus notes examples of an Athenian militia led by historian Dexippus against Goths in the third century. The early part was making this and that claim which didn't seemed well supported, but later on the authors try to sustain their claims.

Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Bernadette on December 08, 2022, 05:50:41 PM
Quote from: maryslittlegarden on December 08, 2022, 04:39:42 PM

Just Outlander.

I had a hard time getting into her books after Outlander  too.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

red solo cup

All The Gallant Men. An American Sailor's Firsthand Account Of Pearl Harbor by Donald Stratton
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Christina_S

Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman and Famous Father Girl by Jamie Bernstein, daughter of conductor Leonard Bernstein.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

clau clau

One man and his Bike - Mike Carter.

What would happen if you were cycling to the office and just kept on pedalling?

Needing a change, Mike Carter did just that. Following the Thames to the sea he embarked on an epic 5,000 mile ride around the entire British coastline - the equivalent of London to Calcutta.

He encountered drunken priests, drag queens and gnome sanctuaries. He met fellow travellers and people building for a different type of future. He also found a spirit of unbelievable kindness and generosity that convinced him that Britain is anything but broken. This is the inspiring and very funny tale of the five months Mike spent cycling the byways of the nation.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Man-Bike-Mike-Carter/dp/0091940567

Really enjoyed this.  I read it on the Internet Archive.

https://archive.org/

This is a really excellent resource. It's worth setting up yourself an account as you can 'borrow' books; some only for 1 hour, but just keep borrowing every hour.

The local libraries in the UK are a bit rubbish these days as hardly any books but this is an internet version of effectively the same thing. The biggest drawback is that you have to read the book online; on a pc screen - but you might be able to connect something like a Kindle Fire using the browser.
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Birdie

Getting ready to start The Physician by Noah Gordon. Set during the 11th century.
My Lord and my God.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: clau clau on January 03, 2023, 04:55:52 AMhttps://archive.org/

This is a really excellent resource. It's worth setting up yourself an account as you can 'borrow' books; some only for 1 hour, but just keep borrowing every hour.

Archive is fantastic.  There is a ton of audio and movie stuff on there besides books, too

Lynne

Quote from: Bernadette on January 03, 2023, 10:32:49 AMGetting ready to start The Physician by Noah Gordon. Set during the 11th century.

Ooo, sounds very interesting!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Birdie

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on January 03, 2023, 11:48:18 AM
Quote from: clau clau on January 03, 2023, 04:55:52 AMhttps://archive.org/

Archive is fantastic.  There is a ton of audio and movie stuff on there besides books, too
I found all 297 episodes of my favorite Japanese tv series on there recently!
My Lord and my God.

Birdie

All Creatures Great and Small, by James Herriot. One of my favorites.
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

Zero Fail. The Rise and Fall of the Secret Service by Carol Leonnig
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Birdie

Weedflower, by Cynthia Kodohata. The narrator has bad Japanese pronunciation.
My Lord and my God.