What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynne

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on September 16, 2017, 02:35:16 AM
Quote from: Lynne on September 07, 2017, 05:50:16 AM
Quote from: red solo cup on September 07, 2017, 05:43:39 AM
What I Saw at the Revolution: A Political Life in the Reagan Era by Peggy Noonan. The author had been a writer/editor at CBS News and became a speech writer in Reagan's 2nd term. For a while her boss was the legendary Pat Buchanan. She also wrote for George Bush and was the one who came up with a Thousand Points of Light.

And then she voted for Obama...

For serious?

Yup. Her name is mud among many conservatives.

Her stuff at WSJ is behind a paywall but here are some excerpts/commentary...

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2127644/posts

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2524734/posts
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Kaesekopf

I'm about to slowly start reading Nicholas Gihr's "The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass."
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Akavit

Greg would appreciate the author's bluntness.  The general premise of the book is that if the reader isn't landing sales, the reader is a lazy whiner.  Picked it up at a Goodwill during one of my road trips and it's fun to read.

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

PerEvangelicaDicta

Quote from: Kaesekopf on September 16, 2017, 10:17:38 PM
I'm about to slowly start reading Nicholas Gihr's "The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass."

Just read this today :)

Resisting the Cult of Speed
https://www.catholicgentleman.net/2017/07/resisting-cult-speed/
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

red solo cup

In the Footsteps of Johnson and Boswell: A Modern Day Journey Through Scotland by Israel Shenker.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Michael Wilson

I just finished reading "The Price to Pay: A Muslim Risks all to Follow Christ" by Joseph Fadelle.
A member of a powerful Iraki Shiite clan encounters a Christian during his military service, this encounter will change his whole life. The very moving story of how Joseph Fadelle converted to Christianity and how he ended up having to give up all his worldly possessions and almost his life, in order to follow Christ.
https://www.amazon.com/Price-Pay-Muslim-Follow-Christ/dp/1621640302/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506273291&sr=8-1&keywords=the+price+to+pay+a+muslim+risks+all+to+follow+christ
from one of the reviews on Amazon:
QuoteByCaliph al Ma'munon December 5, 2012
Format: Hardcover|Verified Purchase
Since I am an Ex- Muslim , I was waiting enthusiastically to get this book. The author , an Iraqi Shiite who is descended from the prophet himself , risked his life , his family , his wealth, and his country for the sake of Christ. Joseph's woes were not easy at all. He faced many difficulties, and was very close to be killed by his own family. At one point , the highest ayatollah in Iraq was involved making a fatwa against him. His wife and children , who left Islam too, were sharing the tragedies with him. Joseph's dream was to receive "the bread of life." To achieve his goal he needed to be baptized. Nevertheless , the road to baptism in the middle east is full of obstacles.Bishops and clergymen at some point refused to even listen to the Spiritual needs of Joseph."The price to Pay" , therefore, is an incredible testimony in two ways; first it stresses how much sacrifices a person will make for Christ; secondly , it describes clearly the lack of basic freedom in the middle east.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Carleendiane

Just finishinga book about the conversion of Monsignor Hugh Benson front Anglican to Roman Catholic. Absolutely facinzting. More about the spiritual journey than the practicalities of the switch from A to RC.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

MilesChristi

Le Petit Prince

Practicing m'y French
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Gardener

Quote from: Michael Wilson on September 24, 2017, 11:22:19 AM
I just finished reading "The Price to Pay: A Muslim Risks all to Follow Christ" by Joseph Fadelle.
A member of a powerful Iraki Shiite clan encounters a Christian during his military service, this encounter will change his whole life. The very moving story of how Joseph Fadelle converted to Christianity and how he ended up having to give up all his worldly possessions and almost his life, in order to follow Christ.
https://www.amazon.com/Price-Pay-Muslim-Follow-Christ/dp/1621640302/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506273291&sr=8-1&keywords=the+price+to+pay+a+muslim+risks+all+to+follow+christ
from one of the reviews on Amazon:
QuoteByCaliph al Ma'munon December 5, 2012
Format: Hardcover|Verified Purchase
Since I am an Ex- Muslim , I was waiting enthusiastically to get this book. The author , an Iraqi Shiite who is descended from the prophet himself , risked his life , his family , his wealth, and his country for the sake of Christ. Joseph's woes were not easy at all. He faced many difficulties, and was very close to be killed by his own family. At one point , the highest ayatollah in Iraq was involved making a fatwa against him. His wife and children , who left Islam too, were sharing the tragedies with him. Joseph's dream was to receive "the bread of life." To achieve his goal he needed to be baptized. Nevertheless , the road to baptism in the middle east is full of obstacles.Bishops and clergymen at some point refused to even listen to the Spiritual needs of Joseph."The price to Pay" , therefore, is an incredible testimony in two ways; first it stresses how much sacrifices a person will make for Christ; secondly , it describes clearly the lack of basic freedom in the middle east.

Worth the money?
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Hannelore

A Tale of Two Cities, from Audible. Got it at a reduced price, since I own the (free) kindle version. ;) Read by my second-favorite narrator, but I'm hoping that my favorite narrator will take it on one day. :)
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

I'm listening to Lord of the World from Audible. It's very good. Msgr Benson does a good job of painting the picture, so to speak.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Michael Wilson

Gardener,
yes, the book is very well written and the story is a good one.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Non Nobis

Quote from: Carleendiane on September 24, 2017, 08:53:27 PM
Just finishinga book about the conversion of Monsignor Hugh Benson front Anglican to Roman Catholic. Absolutely facinzting. More about the spiritual journey than the practicalities of the switch from A to RC.

Was that Benson's "Confessions of a Convert", or something else?

QuoteHere's a 5-star review of "Confessions of a Convert" on Amazon

A classic. The only problem of reading Benson's explanation of why he decided to become a Catholic (his father was the Archbishop of Canterbury, the highest authority in the Anglican communion) is that it makes you seriously nostalgic of the pre-conciliar Catholic Church...

I just downloaded it to my Kindle for 99 cents. It's the kind of book I may have read long ago and forgotten (reflecting the state of my memory, not the worth of the book).
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Christina_S

Epistles of St Clement of Rome and St Ignatius of Antioch.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith