What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerEvangelicaDicta

QuoteYou could get pretty plastered testing out all the cocktails if you're not careful.

But I'm of Irish heritage.  Donegal, no less!
It really is a nice little fun book, with very clever drink analogies, and good saintly information. 

They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

red solo cup

Charlemagne, Father of a Continent by Alessandro Barbero.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Hannelore

Pollyanna. I'm enjoying it a lot more this time around. :) There's a lot of "making the best of things," and "giving people the benefit of the doubt about why they act a certain way, instead of interpreting their actions in a bad light and getting upset." And it shows how much people can misunderstand each other, by just judging from appearances. Basically a guide for optimists having to deal with pessimists. Most admirable.  :thumbsup:

Edit: Fluffy and Buffy...and Jimmy:rofl:
My Lord and my God.

Prayerful

Vicars of Christ: A History of the Popes, Charles A Coulombe.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Boccaccio

Still Life with Woodpecker by Tom Robbins

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Prayerful on February 03, 2017, 05:54:45 PM
Vicars of Christ: A History of the Popes, Charles A Coulombe.

I got that from the library today - can't wait to read it
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

LausTibiChriste

Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Hannelore

I just received an incredible HAUL from my RedditGifts Book Exchange Santa, so I'm getting ready to start Sigrid Undset's Happy Times in Norway.
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

martin88nyc

Just started Dracula the Un-dead after finishing Stoker's Dracula today. This was one of the best books I've ever read. I would've never even thought that Dracula book could portray Christian symbolism so powerfully. I am glad I've read this book.  :)
   The sequel was written by Bram Stoker's great grand-nephew Dacre Stoker and Ian Holt. The book begins with a letter by Mina Harper to her son and Seward tracking down Elizabeth Báthory.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Hannelore

Not I, by Joachim Fest. Surprising!
My Lord and my God.

Hannelore

Lost Voices of the Edwardians: 1901–1910 in Their Own Words, by Max Arthur. Just the sort of book that I like: little anecdotes about daily life during the period, covering a range of subjects.
My Lord and my God.

Daniel

I just started reading The Lord of the Rings. Question: I have never read any Tolkien before. Would vos advise me to stop reading The Lord of the Rings until after I've read The Hobbit? Not sure why I chose to read it out of order, but I'm not that far into it yet, so it's not too late for me to turn back...

I'm also reading A Map of Life (my former spiritual director told me to read it a while back). I started it months ago but kind of stopped halfway through, but started reading it again a few days ago. It's a good book. (Something between catechesis and spiritual reading.)

Hannelore

I read and enjoyed The Lord of the Rings without ever reading The Hobbit:shrug:
My Lord and my God.

Stella Maris

Quote from: Daniel on February 13, 2017, 04:55:50 PM
I just started reading The Lord of the Rings. Question: I have never read any Tolkien before. Would vos advise me to stop reading The Lord of the Rings until after I've read The Hobbit? Not sure why I chose to read it out of order, but I'm not that far into it yet, so it's not too late for me to turn back...

That's how I read them. It seemed more epic to begin in medias res.