What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christina_S

Quote from: MilesChristi on January 07, 2017, 04:18:24 PM
Intending to read 'The Illiad'
It's worth it. Best of luck to you.
I first read "The Iliad" when I was 14...homeschoolers. sheesh  ::)
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Hannelore

Vanity Fair. For the first time. I love the tone!  ;D

Edit: I'm not loving Becky Sharp, to say the least. So much like Scarlett O'Hara!  :o  >Shudder.<
My Lord and my God.

Prayerful

Desire and Deception, Charles A Coulombe. Near the start he recounts how when it was first published under a pseudonym, a diocesan official sent an effusive letter in red ink, all caps, to try and lure the author to a meeting in order to expose him. Mr Coulombe sent the letter to the bookshop, so his book would have a positive comment on the catalogue. The official in great annoyance rang the bookshop, and finally, the lady who took the call suggested the official (who hadn't paid on time for advertising) should advise them when he is lying.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

OCLittleFlower

Fiction: Twenty-eight and a half wishes (it's a mystery with paranormal elements)

Non-fiction: The Fate of the Romanovs.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Christina_S

Christifideles Laici by St. John Paull II

Also, finished A Tale of Two Cities on Monday. What a terrific plot!
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Fascination with Novelty

martin88nyc

Grand Orient Freemasonry unmasked, as the secret power behind Communism by Dillon with preface by Denis Fahey.
Don't know why but books on freemasonry fascinate me. Not that I find it attractive in any way but it's good to know the intentions of the enemies of the Church.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

red solo cup

The Pursuit of the Millennium: Revolutionary Millenarians and Mystical Anarchists of the Middle Ages by Norman Cohn.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

LausTibiChriste

One Day in August: The Untold Story Behind Canada's Tragedy at Dieppe by David O'Keefe
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Christina_S

Wheelock's Latin, chapter XXIII:  Participles  :leaving:

Fascination with Novelty

Hannelore

Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Autobiography, by Laura Ingalls Wilder and Pamela Smith Hill. Fascinating. I love annotated books. I wish all of the "working correspondence" between Laura Ingalls Wilder and Rose Wilder Lane could be published. I'd love to see exactly how the series evolved.
My Lord and my God.

Prayerful

Henry IV of France: His Reign and Age, Vincent J Pitts.

Bought it years ago, never read it.

Paris vaut bien une Messe
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

martin88nyc

Stocker's Dracula and Decline and Fall by Waugh
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

PerEvangelicaDicta

Drinking with the Saints: A Sinner's Guide to a Holy Happy Hour  by Michael P. Foley

A Christmas gift from our son  :cheeseheadbeer:
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on January 26, 2017, 02:52:57 PM
Drinking with the Saints: A Sinner's Guide to a Holy Happy Hour  by Michael P. Foley

A Christmas gift from our son  :cheeseheadbeer:

That's an awesome book eh? It's really well put together and there's a ton of stuff in it. You could get pretty plastered testing out all the cocktails if you're not careful.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie