What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carleendiane

THE END of the present world....and the mysteries of the future life.By Father Charles Arminjon.

This was read by St. Therese. She claimed  it to be "one of the greatest graces of my life."
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Hannelore

Quote from: Carleendiane on July 09, 2016, 06:17:27 PM
THE END of the present world....and the mysteries of the future life.By Father Charles Arminjon.

This was read by St. Therese. She claimed  it to be "one of the greatest graces of my life."

Awesome! Did you download it from here? :)
My Lord and my God.

Carleendiane

Bernedette, someone gave me a copy.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Hannelore

My Lord and my God.

Machaut1377

A Terrible Revenge: The Ethnic Cleansing of East European Germans, by Alfred-Maurice de Zayas.

A rather sobering book on the fate of millions of ethnic germans living in east european countries at the end of world war ii. Told mostly through first hand accounts it ranges from being raped multiple times, cruxifixions (stripping women naked and nailing them to barn doors was a favorite in Poland), strafing ice to weaken it when german refugees were crossing over it, death camps in the old Yugoslavia, and deportations to Russia as "reparations in kind." 

Chestertonian

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Hannelore

Beverly Cleary's autobiography, A Girl From Yamhill. I first read it when I was a kid, living in Oregon myself. I don't like the new cover.  :(
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

The Edge of the Empire. A Journey to Britannia: From the Heart of Rome to Hadrian's Wall by Bronwen Riley
non impediti ratione cogitationis

MilesChristi

About to finish, A Confederacy of Dunces
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Clare

Just finished reading The Inimitable Jeeves. Very funny!

Now reading Why I Became A Catholic by Cardinal Manning.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Hannelore

The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes. I just discovered this, after thinking that I'd read all of them. So sad to know that there really aren't any more. :(
My Lord and my God.

MilesChristi

About to finish The Man who was Thursday
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Bernadette on July 10, 2016, 01:19:29 PM

Where can I download it from?
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Lynne

Quote from: Bernadette on July 31, 2016, 03:12:59 PM
The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes. I just discovered this, after thinking that I'd read all of them. So sad to know that there really aren't any more. :(

Yes!  :(
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Hannelore

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on July 31, 2016, 03:42:22 PM
Quote from: Bernadette on July 10, 2016, 01:19:29 PM

Where can I download it from?

http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=12546.msg272111#msg272111  :toth: It was really good. I just wish I was able to internalize it, the way St. Thérèse did.
My Lord and my God.