What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximilian

Quote from: Michael Wilson on August 16, 2015, 08:55:04 AM

Re. Wheel of Time: I admit that R.J. "Goes long"; but since I really didn't want the books to end, for that would mean that the world he created was finished; I enjoyed all the "baroque" verbal decorations that his books contained.

At some point around 10 years ago I tried to read volume 10, but found it incomprehensible. It was as if Robert Jordan had a stroke, and the words kept coming out of his word processor, but they didn't make sense any more.

Also, having failed to complete the story in 9 volumes as he had intended, the 10th volume made no progress whatsoever in bringing any plot lines to conclusion. Instead it introduced a myriad of new characters with incomprehensible names, thus indicating that the series would never conclude. As it turns out, it was only after Jordan's death that a new author was able to wrap up the story.

That being said, I did enjoy many of the earlier volumes quite a bit. The series is a tremendous feat of imagination.

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Maximilian on August 16, 2015, 09:46:22 AM

Re. Wheel of Time: I admit that R.J. "Goes long"; but since I really didn't want the books to end, for that would mean that the world he created was finished; I enjoyed all the "baroque" verbal decorations that his books contained.

At some point around 10 years ago I tried to read volume 10, but found it incomprehensible. It was as if Robert Jordan had a stroke, and the words kept coming out of his word processor, but they didn't make sense any more.

Also, having failed to complete the story in 9 volumes as he had intended, the 10th volume made no progress whatsoever in bringing any plot lines to conclusion. Instead it introduced a myriad of new characters with incomprehensible names, thus indicating that the series would never conclude. As it turns out, it was only after Jordan's death that a new author was able to wrap up the story.

That being said, I did enjoy many of the earlier volumes quite a bit. The series is a tremendous feat of imagination.
Yes, most people agree that the series reached its bottom at the 10th volume; and began its climb back up with the 11th.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Clare

Joan of Arc by Mark Twain (thanks Yankee for raising it).
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

MundaCorMeum

Took the kids to story time at the library today, and managed to steal a few minutes to find 3 books on baking bread.  Browsing through those this evening.  (Also read Pinocchio earlier to the kids....and, looked at some pictures in the Saint George and the Dragon book we found today, with the four year old....I was impressed our small town library had it!)

Kaesekopf

A Bitter Trial. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bl. Karl Hapsburg

The wheel of time a bit too much fantasy for me and it had to do with the writing style. I love Lord of the Rings and A Song of Ice and Fire. Would you say I  should give it another shot?
If people don't believe in God, they won't believe in nothing; they'll believe in anything - Chesterton

Spooky

Right now I'm slogging through Ian Kershaw's "Hitler 1889–1936: Hubris". I've had this book since the beginning of July and I'm only on page 80, and that's with the first 35 pages missing (a printing error I guess). It's not boring, just very, very, detailed. And notey. Lots and lots of notes.

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Bl. Karl Hapsburg on August 20, 2015, 09:34:26 AM

The wheel of time a bit too much fantasy for me and it had to do with the writing style. I love Lord of the Rings and A Song of Ice and Fire. Would you say I  should give it another shot?
Its not everybody's cup of tea. The writing style is deliberately archaic and very florid in descriptions.
It is a thirteen book series; which means that you will invest about 2 years or so of steady reading.
I liked it; but I admit that it doesn't have the same uplifting ethos as L.O.T.R. But once in a while I enjoy getting into a fantasy series, just to get away from my usual heavy reading.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Rose

I'm just about to start reading The Fire Sermon for the first time. Fingers crossed!
To Jesus through Mary.

Remember the Holy Souls!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Jacob

I am reading the book by Carlson about Senior, Quinn, and the third guy and the Integrated Humanities Program at KU.  It's pretty interesting.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

red solo cup

The Greatest Story Ever Told by Fulton Oursler. One of those books I've been fixing to read for years. Finally got around to it.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Rose

A bit of a random question- can anyone recommend a book similar to Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky? I'm not usually keen on sci-fi/horror but AF and I read the first chapter and found it gripping (very atmospheric). We were put off by the irreverence later in the book and decided not to continue with it. Any ideas?
To Jesus through Mary.

Remember the Holy Souls!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

maryslittlegarden

I'm rereading 11/22/63 by Stephen King. 

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Arun

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Hannelore

Getting ready to start The Penguin History of the World: 6th Edition $1.99/kindle. ;D And I'll be perfectly honest, and say that I plan to skip the parts that I'm not interested in. ;)
My Lord and my God.