Convert Video Sancto to mp3: ListenToYouTube.com

Started by Gardener, December 26, 2014, 03:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardener

I use this to convert Video Sancto videos to mp3. I now have something on the order of around 30 separate Fr. Isaac Mary Relyea sermons/talks. The benefit of this particular site is it allows videos over 20 minutes. Many "Youtube to mp3" sites have a length cap. I've used this site to convert videos up to almost 2 hours long.

listentoyoutube.com

Here's a tutorial on use:
http://screencast.com/t/j8hCjzUt74s
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Heinrich

This would be great to plug into then the car. For trips to Denver and such. And vice versa.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

LausTibiChriste

Or you could just go to AudioSancto, which is where most, if not all, of the sermons are from  ;)

I use a Youtube downloader program to get all my music :)
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Gardener

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on December 26, 2014, 06:33:13 PM
Or you could just go to AudioSancto, which is where most, if not all, of the sermons are from  ;)

Audio Sancto is not as dynamic in its searching ability and there are differences in the two. For example, search "relyea" on both. On AS you get a single result for a lenten mission. On VS, you get over 28 or 29 results of separate talks.

I find the anonymity on both sites problematic for searching. I wish I could find all of Fr. Wolfe's stuff without having to listen to each thing.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Chestertonian

i thought audiosancyo was supposed to be anonymous
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Daniel

Yeah, it's supposed to be anonymous.  But maybe they could assign each priest with a pseudonym or identification number or something so that you'd know who's who.

Quote from: Gardener on December 27, 2014, 01:54:37 PM
Audio Sancto is not as dynamic in its searching ability and there are differences in the two. For example, search "relyea" on both. On AS you get a single result for a lenten mission. On VS, you get over 28 or 29 results of separate talks.
That's a search problem, but theoretically (if there was no problem with the search feature) you should be using Audio Sancto.  If the search features worked the same then there's no reason to go through the trouble of using third-party software to rip and download the audio from a YouTube video when the video's audio is already available as a download elsewhere.  And besides going through extra trouble, you're getting lower quality audio.  mp3 is lossy compression, and so taking mp3 and re-saving it in the video file will cause a reduction in the audio's quality, and then taking the audio out of the video and re-saving it a second time back into mp3 format will reduce it even more.

Gardener

Quote from: Daniel on December 27, 2014, 03:11:32 PM
Yeah, it's supposed to be anonymous.  But maybe they could assign each priest with a pseudonym or identification number or something so that you'd know who's who.

That's a search problem, but theoretically (if there was no problem with the search feature) you should be using Audio Sancto.  If the search features worked the same then there's no reason to go through the trouble of using third-party software to rip and download the audio from a YouTube video when the video's audio is already available as a download elsewhere.  And besides going through extra trouble, you're getting lower quality audio.  mp3 is lossy compression, and so taking mp3 and re-saving it in the video file will cause a reduction in the audio's quality, and then taking the audio out of the video and re-saving it a second time back into mp3 format will reduce it even more.

Anonymity is pointless. The excuses AS and VS use are puerile in practice given that Fr. Wolfe is a known priest within Traditional circles and has a very, very distinct voice; Fr. Shannon Collins, same; others, same. Fr. Relyea is the only one who puts his name to his words.

Further, anonymity problematically allows errors to be unchallenged and in the case of any accusations contained within a sermon, unanswered to the accuser. **ETA: example: back a few months ago an "anonymous" priest lambasted Tolkien and his LOTR series. The sermon series was RIFE with errors of philosophy, theology, and basic facts. Because of the anonymous nature, and the outcry it produced in the parish (indeed, many parishes), my pastor had to take the time to listen to the whole damnable rotten mess of it, write a rebuttal, etc. Anonymity therefore produced tons of work for him and the other priests when it SHOULD have been that Fr. Fell Asleep In Logic 101 answered, and consequently retracted his STUPID, STUPID sermon series. **

My pastor is utterly against anonymous preaching and I wholly concur, as the reasons behind it do not stand to basic logic and in practice results in nothing but "oh, this is a Fr. Wolfe sermon!" Fr. Paul Nicholson, the SSPX hater, is also distinct in his nasally Canadian accent, so I just skip his. Anonymous? Hardly. None of them are anonymous anymore than any of us on here are anonymous -- they, far less. At least that's the opinion of Jon "Gardener" Horton... 

And yes, the search problem IS a problem. It utilizes tagging which is insufficient, contra Video Sancto/YouTube's superior search engine and better tagging. This is like saying, "well, the unorganized library is just as good, and has many of the same books" Yeah... so what, you can't find them!

If a frog had wings.... but some people have a slew of Video Sancto "favorites" and might like to convert those to mp3 rather than chasing them down on Audio Sancto -- if they even exist on AS. It's not like mp3 renders an unintelligible mess of scratchy audio which cannot be listened to. What next, "Vinyl Sancto: for the discerning Catholic audiophile"? LOL

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on December 26, 2014, 06:33:13 PM

I find the anonymity on both sites problematic for searching. I wish I could find all of Fr. Wolfe's stuff without having to listen to each thing.

I think all of Fr. Wolfe's stuff got moved here: http://www.romans10seventeen.org

Chestertonian

vinyl sancto..  now you can listen to a sermon before it is cool
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Gardener on December 27, 2014, 03:22:16 PM
Quote from: Daniel on December 27, 2014, 03:11:32 PM

Anonymity is pointless. The excuses AS and VS use are puerile in practice given that Fr. Wolfe is a known priest within Traditional circles and has a very, very distinct voice; Fr. Shannon Collins, same; others, same. Fr. Relyea is the only one who puts his name to his words.

Further, anonymity problematically allows errors to be unchallenged and in the case of any accusations contained within a sermon, unanswered to the accuser. **ETA: example: back a few months ago an "anonymous" priest lambasted Tolkien and his LOTR series. The sermon series was RIFE with errors of philosophy, theology, and basic facts. Because of the anonymous nature, and the outcry it produced in the parish (indeed, many parishes), my pastor had to take the time to listen to the whole damnable rotten mess of it, write a rebuttal, etc. Anonymity therefore produced tons of work for him and the other priests when it SHOULD have been that Fr. Fell Asleep In Logic 101 answered, and consequently retracted his STUPID, STUPID sermon series. **

My pastor is utterly against anonymous preaching and I wholly concur, as the reasons behind it do not stand to basic logic and in practice results in nothing but "oh, this is a Fr. Wolfe sermon!" Fr. Paul Nicholson, the SSPX hater, is also distinct in his nasally Canadian accent, so I just skip his. Anonymous? Hardly. None of them are anonymous anymore than any of us on here are anonymous -- they, far less. At least that's the opinion of Jon "Gardener" Horton... 

And yes, the search problem IS a problem. It utilizes tagging which is insufficient, contra Video Sancto/YouTube's superior search engine and better tagging. This is like saying, "well, the unorganized library is just as good, and has many of the same books" Yeah... so what, you can't find them!

If a frog had wings.... but some people have a slew of Video Sancto "favorites" and might like to convert those to mp3 rather than chasing them down on Audio Sancto -- if they even exist on AS. It's not like mp3 renders an unintelligible mess of scratchy audio which cannot be listened to. What next, "Vinyl Sancto: for the discerning Catholic audiophile"? LOL

I understand their initial reticence to be public and to be anonymous.  I think nowadays, though...  it's a different story, and is more cumbersome.  It does, probably, give them at least some cover, and permits them to be less bothered and hassled by people kvetching over something they say in a sermon.

That said, I had no idea Nicholson is on AudioSancto.  I cannot stand that man and am now super wary of that site.  :/  They should tag his.  :lol:
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Archer

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Gardener

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 29, 2014, 09:32:46 AM

I understand their initial reticence to be public and to be anonymous.  I think nowadays, though...  it's a different story, and is more cumbersome.  It does, probably, give them at least some cover, and permits them to be less bothered and hassled by people kvetching over something they say in a sermon.

That said, I had no idea Nicholson is on AudioSancto.  I cannot stand that man and am now super wary of that site.  :/  They should tag his.  :lol:

He might not be on AS or VS. I somehow have an mp3 of a talk he gave, but it might have been from a CMTV source video from YouTube and I didn't realize it when I downloaded.

I would not purposely download Nicholson's work, so it might have just been a mix up on my part from another source that ended up in my files. Nonetheless, while I've never heard a bad sermon or preacher on VS (save that stupid and ignorant LOTR series), it would be nice to be able to look for known quality/type of sermon.

Anyway, Fr. Isaac's non-anon mode of operation allows me to know I'm downloading quality work. I swear, I often times feel as if I didn't even know the most basic things of the faith when I hear his sermons, and he is starting me fresh. That's a good sign imo.

Kaesekopf

Oh thank goodness.  I'd rather poke my ears out than listen to that effeminate Nicholson.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Elizabeth

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 29, 2014, 12:34:52 PM
Oh thank goodness.  I'd rather poke my ears out than listen to that effeminate Nicholson.
I know, with an ice pick or a Bic pen, even? ;D  Wow, I had no idea he was featured in Audio Sancto...wonder which one he is?!