Author Topic: Better Sex Life Linked to Division of Housework  (Read 4355 times)

Offline Ancilla Domini

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
Better Sex Life Linked to Division of Housework
« on: January 30, 2013, 10:48:47 PM »
Better sex life linked to division of housework : U.S. study

http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/nm/better-sex-life-linked-to-division-of-housework-u-s-study

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Couples wanting to improve their sex lives may want to look at how they divide household chores, because men and women who follow traditional roles have sex more often than other couples, researchers said on Wednesday.

In a study that analyzed the roles of 4,500 heterosexual married couples in the United States, researchers found that when women handled the cooking, cleaning and shopping, and men did yard work and car maintenance, they had more active sex lives.

"The results show that gender still organizes quite a bit of everyday life in marriage," Julie Brines, a University of Washington (UW) associate professor of sociology and a co-author of the study, said in a statement.

"In particular, it seems that the gender identities husbands and wives express through the chores they do also help structure sexual behavior."

The findings, which are published in the American Sociological Review journal, showed that couples with traditional roles at home had sex 1.6 times more per month than those in which the husband did all the traditionally female work.

But Brines and her colleagues said the findings should not be used by men as an excuse not to help out at home.

"Men who refuse to help around the house could increase conflict in their marriage and lower their wives' marital satisfaction," said lead author Sabino Kornrich, a former UW graduate student who is now a researcher at the Juan March Institute in Madrid.

Although the data used in the study was collected from 1992 to 1994, which is the most recent survey looking into sexual frequency among married couples, Brines said it is unlikely that sex in the marital home has changed much since then.

"Marriage today isn't what it was 30 or 40 years ago, but there are some things that remain important," she said. "Sex and housework are still key aspects of sharing a life, and both are related to marital satisfaction and how spouses express their gender identity."

(Reporting by Patricia Reaney; Editing by Piya Sinha-Roy and Eric Walsh)

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Better Sex Life Linked to Division of Housework
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 10:52:15 PM »
This is really interesting.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Offline OCLittleFlower

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • CALIFORNIA DEPLORABLE
  • Religion: Trad to the max!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 03:28:16 AM »
I find it interesting that she speaks as if yard work and car work isn't "helping out around the house."  I'd rather my husband do the things that are difficult physically, like prune the trees and such.  I'll stick with cleaning up the inside.  :p
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

Если вы можете прочитать это, вы лучше.

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans Frontières
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 12:23:01 PM »
I am not the least bit surprised.  From my perspective as a woman, manliness is erotic.  This means anything that I associate with being manly makes my husband attractive.  This includes him taking on traditional male roles in the house.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Offline LouisIX

• Oberstleutnant
  • Hauptmann
  • "Libtard"-in-Residence
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 12:54:24 PM »
I am not the least bit surprised.  From my perspective as a woman, manliness is erotic.  This means anything that I associate with being manly makes my husband attractive.  This includes him taking on traditional male roles in the house.

Which just makes sense, doesn't it?

Good study.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Offline erin is nice

• snitches get stitches
  • Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 01:21:03 PM »
It might not be actually related to housework itself. It could be that couples staying within traditional gender roles are more likely to be trying to conceive, and so, having more intercourse.

Offline OCLittleFlower

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • CALIFORNIA DEPLORABLE
  • Religion: Trad to the max!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 03:14:10 PM »
It might not be actually related to housework itself. It could be that couples staying within traditional gender roles are more likely to be trying to conceive, and so, having more intercourse.

Yet don't most Evangelical Christians, who tend to have traditional gender roles, allow contraception?
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

Если вы можете прочитать это, вы лучше.

Offline Mithrandylan

• Doctor of Memeology
  • Feldwebel
  • PhD in Sarcasticology
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 05:10:10 PM »

I don't think that the desire to conceive is really very proportionate to the amount of sex a person is having.  Not in the current culture.
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

Offline erin is nice

• snitches get stitches
  • Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 09:33:32 AM »

I don't think that the desire to conceive is really very proportionate to the amount of sex a person is having.  Not in the current culture.

I think I saw somewhere that the average for a married couple is once a week. So absolutely a couple trying to conceive would be much more active than that.

Offline Christknight104

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 11:11:31 AM »

I think I saw somewhere that the average for a married couple is once a week. So absolutely a couple trying to conceive would be much more active than that.

A married couple this current day and age can  commit  the marital act as much as they want  without ever having the desire  to conceive children due to the  wide practice of contraception.

Offline erin is nice

• snitches get stitches
  • Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 11:43:13 AM »
They can, that doesn't mean they do.

This thread reminds me of Monty Python. And I don't even think Monty Python is funny.

Offline Christknight104

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 08:12:12 PM »
The plummeting birth rates of developed first world countries such as Japan, Spain, Germany, and Italy are a testament that contraception is widely practiced amongst married couples in those nations. Unfortunately, the vast majority of married couples are not Traditional Catholics, and as such, they do not have the mentality of relating the marital act to the prime and necessary end of conceiving children.

Already in 1973, as the data of the  National Survey of Family Growth asserts, 66.4 percent of all married Catholic women in the United States  of child-bearing age at the time used contraception.  Among those using birth control, only 8.3 percent relied on rhythm; 2.9 percent relied on withdrawal, which is forbidden by the Church.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/series/sr_23/sr23_002.pdf
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 08:15:59 PM by Christknight104 »

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 08:19:59 PM »
Lol.

This thread took a humorous turn. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Offline Ancilla Domini

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 11:41:12 PM »
Lol.

This thread took a humorous turn.

As it was bound to...  :P

Offline Quo Vadis

• Vizekorporal
  • Fatima is upon us
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 12:08:01 AM »
We can be like Europe where everyone's having sex and no one's having babies.
Since Christ Himself has said, "This is My Body" who shall dare to doubt that It is His Body?
-- St Cyril of Jerusalem