Author Topic: "Rosebud."  (Read 9164 times)

Offline Pon de Replay

• Feldwebel
  • Religion: Agnostic
Re: "Rosebud."
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 08:58:52 PM »
Gracias, Cesar.

Offline Pheo

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 09:25:09 PM »
If you've made up your mind, then this will be my mental theme song for your departure.  It's a piece I've recently learned to play too.  Every time I play it, I'll think of you.  Then Sufjan (purely by association).

Adieu, PdR.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Offline dymphna17

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Be still and know that I am God
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 09:30:40 PM »
Hope your life is totally fulfilled in a fortunate time.  God bless.  Later.
ن
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

“Don’t waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you’ll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master.”– Mother Angelica

Offline Pon de Replay

• Feldwebel
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 09:38:29 PM »
Oh, and I forgot to ask.  red solo cup, is your user name in any way an antagonistic reference to the Fish Eaters poster Iolanthe?  As I remember, she hated red solo cups.  It was one of the few points I agreed with her on.  I hate those things, too.  They evoke the creepy frat party, the cacophonous backyard high school graduation celebration, the obnoxious patriotic holiday barbecue, and the dancing simian football fans tailgating out of the back of a behemoth SUV in a stadium parking lot.  "WOO-HOO!"  They're the ubiquitous American annoyance.  Or, maybe that's not what you were intending at all.  If not, sorry.  I was just curious.

Offline Pon de Replay

• Feldwebel
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 09:59:06 PM »
Thank you, Pheo and dymphna.   And for the Rachmaninoff piece as well, Pheo.  First Nabokov, then Rachmaninoff.  My Russophilia is being indulged.  At any rate, I have indeed made up my mind.  I was going to make my last post at midnight tonight, but it has since been suggested that I end my SD career with a prime number as my post count, on the grounds that "prime is sublime."  I initially thought to do that, because who knows?  Maybe prime is actually sublime.  But then I looked up a list of prime numbers on the internet and the next one is 1657.  That would mean making another twelve posts, which is quite a lot when you're trying to shut up.  I apologize to the person who kindly suggested it, but I doubt I can make the goal.  I should also, perhaps, apologize to Louis who was generous enough on the currently listening thread to try to find some musical common ground between us, whereupon I rudely thumbed my nose at the Talking Heads.  That wasn't very nice of me.  But he knows we both like Pink Floyd and the Beatles.

Offline Lydia Purpuraria

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 10:47:13 PM »
You will be missed, Pon de Replay. Perhaps from time to time you can check in and let us know how life is treating you.

I'm certain that you and others will come up with better songs for your departure... but, for some reason, this song seems appropriate. (and, hey, it's not Sufjan Stevens, so it can't be too bad  ;) ).

Offline Pon de Replay

• Feldwebel
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 11:57:22 PM »
Lydia, that song is perfect.  John Lennon.  Thank you.

:toth:

Offline Non Nobis

• Why are you fearful?
  • Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2014, 01:57:11 AM »
And this is your perfect forum departure thread.  But it is now time to write your perfect forum return thread.

Or just don't go.  Now that you've perfected one post, aim for the perfection of SD.

But if you must,  I'll miss you.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Offline J. Austin

• Hellebardier
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2014, 05:45:01 AM »
See you in a few months.   ;)

And if you ever publish a book, please tell me - I don't care what it's about.  Even if it's an anthology of great British thimbles, tell me anyway.  You could make anything worth reading!

Offline Chestertonian

• The Stephen Hawking of SD
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
  • Eternal Gadfly
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2014, 05:54:44 AM »
I think Older Salt just made his perfect post.  "Mary."  His devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary is beyond question.  And Louis, who is a born theologian, seems to have taken a stab at his own perfect post in a different thread, entitled "the perfecy post" (sorry, Chestertonian, but that is actually the title.  It may not be too late for you to fix the typo, however).  Maybe a trend has commenced here.  Will OS and Louis keep posting, knowing it's all downhill from there, or will they opt to shut up?  Shutting up is difficult.  I'm having a hard time doing it myself.  Even Chestertonian might've come close to making his perfect post: "it's been fun."  After all, he's a fun fellow.  And it has been fun: I am glad we got to engage in some silly banter, Chestertonian, to bridge the enormous chasm between us.  Because you and I are very different people, with different views and extremely different tastes.  You rate Sufjan Stevens higher than Jane's Addiction.  So does Erin.  I am aghast.  oh you millennials how I abhor your generation.  But not you two personally.  You're good eggs.  Had you been seventeen in 1989, you'd understand.  I wonder what Jayne's perfect post would look like?  "I apologize."  LOL.  J/K!  Sorry, Jayners.  Totally just kidding.  I hope you make your perfect post someday, and I say it to your credit that I have no idea what it might possibly contain.  You're odd, and that's a good thing.  OCLittleFlower certainly could've quit on a high note (although I'm glad she didn't) after she referred to Sufjan Stevens as a "hipster Liberace."  That might be the only post on the forum that challenges the perfection of my own perfect post.  Lynne answered the last query on her introduction questionnaire ("fun random fact about yourself") with a defiant "meh."  That's awesome approaching perfect.  And Heinrich has flirted with perfection more than a few times, mostly in his trenchant jabs at his nemeses Petertherock and Greg.  He might be the only person here who has consistently been able to match Greg caustic wit for caustic wit.  If you search the forum for the word, um, "erection," you will find a truly hilarious LOL post at the end of the search results.  Please make sure to read it in context of the OP of that particular thread.  You also have to be familiar with Greg's posting habits.  I don't find myself in agreement much with the worldviews of either Petertherock or Greg, and Heinrich has always refuted the two of them with both wit and wisdom.  To be fair, his more serious posts are almost always on point too.  red solo cup has given me a tribute I do not deserve.  And it was nice of Pheo to offer, but I sincerely hope I don't need a biopsy anytime soon.  Und Herr zork?  Guten Nacht, mein guten Wachtmeister.  Auf Weidersehen.
[/qsthis

Iv l old c .

I could leave it up as the perfecy post just to be ironic.... how typical of the millennial generation

part of me die wish i would have been 17 in 1989but even then i would not have listened to janes addiction sorry

indeed it has been fun. i respect you

tko sleepy thismorning to post a video but i think it's safe to say that i "wish you were here
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Offline LaramieHirsch

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2014, 06:08:46 AM »

Pick up bread while you're out. 

-Laramie
"Evil smells weakness, and the weak can smell evil."  -Me

"Silence is complicity."  -Me

"The most evident mark of God's anger, and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world, is manifest when He permits His people to fall into the hands of a clergy who are more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds. They abandon the things of God to devote themselves to the things of the world and, in their saintly calling of holiness, they spend their time in profane and worldly pursuits. When God permits such things, it is a very positive proof that He is thoroughly angry with His people and is visiting His most dreadful wrath upon them."

-Saint John Eudes

Offline Chestertonian

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
  • Eternal Gadfly
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2014, 08:06:14 AM »

Pick up bread while you're out. 

-Laramie

6 that may have been your perfect post too
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Offline Pheo

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2014, 09:59:53 AM »
Lydia, that song is perfect.

False.  Its cord progression is a complete rip-off of A Whiter Shade of Pale.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Offline erin is nice

• snitches get stitches
  • Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2014, 12:00:09 PM »
And it has been fun: I am glad we got to engage in some silly banter, Chestertonian, to bridge the enormous chasm between us.  Because you and I are very different people, with different views and extremely different tastes.  You rate Sufjan Stevens higher than Jane's Addiction.  So does Erin.  I am aghast.  oh you millennials how I abhor your generation.  But not you two personally.  You're good eggs.

I'm pretty sure Chestertonian and I are a little too old to be called 'millenials'...

Change your mind, Mr. Brockle.

Offline Chestertonian

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
  • Eternal Gadfly
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2014, 12:18:53 PM »
And it has been fun: I am glad we got to engage in some silly banter, Chestertonian, to bridge the enormous chasm between us.  Because you and I are very different people, with different views and extremely different tastes.  You rate Sufjan Stevens higher than Jane's Addiction.  So does Erin.  I am aghast.  oh you millennials how I abhor your generation.  But not you two personally.  You're good eggs.

I'm pretty sure Chestertonian and I are a little too old to be called 'millenials'...

Change your mind, Mr. Brockle.
how old are you im 32

Theres a ."hhow millennial are you "quiz:

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/how-millennial-are-you/

i googled millennial and it said a person who was approaching young adulthood around the millennium i.e year 2000

in the year 2000 i finished high school and started college at yeshiva university...