Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 385738 times)

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #3150 on: October 10, 2020, 08:11:14 PM »
Started Rudy. Saw it when it first came out. Turned it off. Blasphemy and insufferably mawkish.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline Daniel

• Feldwebel
« Reply #3151 on: October 11, 2020, 08:34:04 AM »
JAWS 2. It's a perfect summer movie and while not the original, a great followup.

This past summer I saw the first Jaws for the first time, in an actual movie theatre (the movie theatre was showing only old movies for some reason... something to do with COVID). So that was nice. But as for the film itself, I didn't like it. (More like, hated it.) Too much foul language. (Even a single blasphemy would ruin the film.) And also, the movie IMO seemed overrated. I had always heard great things about it which gave me high expectations. But then I actually saw it, and was disappointed. If it weren't for the blasphemies, I'd probably have been more willing to overlook this, but: 1.) the shark puppet looked a little cheesy (and lifeless, not as I'd imagine an actual shark to look like), and 2.) none of the characters were very likable. (The latter is one thing I hate about most Hollywood films these days: the movies are all about "self redemption" which not only is a theologically-incorrect concept but also results in a story where the "good guys" are all unlikable antiheroes who have some sort of vice to overcome. And half the time this vice isn't even rooted out before the end of the movie, but is merely coped with, or, in some cases, nullified as if by way of "sacrifice", by the voluntary or involuntary death of the still-vicious antihero.)

Just as an aside, before seeing the movie I was under the impression that "Jaws" was the name of the shark. Turns out it wasn't :(
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 08:38:26 AM by Daniel »

Offline Jacob

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #3152 on: October 11, 2020, 11:33:48 AM »
Jaws is one of those movies that have so permeated the culture that it would be impossible to go into it totally fresh I would think.  One has to imagine being in a movie theater in the seventies with no foreknowledge aside from knowing it was a book that sold very well.
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
--Neal Stephenson

The following users thanked this post: red solo cup, Michael Wilson

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #3153 on: October 11, 2020, 03:59:32 PM »
Many beaches were almost empty that summer it frightened people so badly.
"It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry"