Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 358069 times)

Offline LuxVera

• Hellebardier
  • Among the Lilies Far Away....
  • Religion: Liturgical Nomad
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #3075 on: March 29, 2020, 09:12:15 PM »
Re-watched “Solaris” (2002) for the first time in years. It’s probably one of my favorite sci-fi films, more like a sci-fi psychological thriller. I like movies that make me think. Still need to watch the original “Solaris” (1972) film by Tarkovsky.
“I felt that I breathed an atmosphere of sorrow.” -Edgar Allen Poe

“I lay. Forgot my being,/and on my love I leaned my face./All ceased. I left my being,/leaving my cares to fade/among the lilies far away.”
-“Dark Night”, St. John of the Cross

Offline christulsa

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
    • The Okie Traditionalist Blog
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
« Reply #3076 on: March 30, 2020, 10:13:37 PM »
Watched yesterday Red Dawn, the 1984 version.  Never gets old.

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, Lynne

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #3077 on: March 31, 2020, 07:05:56 AM »
Quicksand. Awful.
Man on a Ledge. Even worse.
"It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry"

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #3078 on: March 31, 2020, 08:53:12 AM »
Watched yesterday Red Dawn, the 1984 version.  Never gets old.

D'joo know that was set in Colorado, but filmed in New Mexico?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline christulsa

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #3079 on: March 31, 2020, 08:11:38 PM »

Offline Pon de Replay

• Feldwebel
  • Religion: Agnostic
« Reply #3080 on: April 01, 2020, 01:58:38 PM »
Sansho the Bailiff (1954).  Brilliant.  I am discovering the dolorous genius of Kenji Mizoguchi.

In this beautiful frame, from left to right, are a family's loyal servant, the matriarch, a Shinto priestess, and the mother's two children.  Around his neck, the proud aristocratic boy wears a canister from his father containing an icon of the goddess of mercy.  His sister smiles.  But fate, alas, has other things in store.

"The sneakiness of prigs, the conventicle secrecy, gloomy concepts like hell, like sacrifice of the guiltless, like unio mystica in drinking blood; above all, the slowly fanned fire of revenge, of chandala revenge—all that is what became master over Rome."

Rome sank to whoredom and became a stew
The Caesars became beasts, and God—a Jew!

The following users thanked this post: Maximilian, Matto

Offline Heinrich

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #3081 on: April 01, 2020, 05:39:16 PM »
Sansho the Bailiff (1954).  Brilliant.  I am discovering the dolorous genius of Kenji Mizoguchi.

You and maybe six other people on Earth know who that is.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline Pon de Replay

• Feldwebel
« Reply #3082 on: April 02, 2020, 01:56:37 PM »
You and maybe six other people on Earth know who that is.

If you had said six other people on this forum, then that may be true.  But he is legendary in his native Japan.  Even in the West, the triumvirate of Japanese masters in terms of cinema is widely considered to be Kurosawa, Ozu, and Mizoguchi. 

Last night I watched the first half of a 1975 documentary, Kenji Mizoguchi: The Life of a Film Director.  The documentarian seems to have tracked down and interviewed anyone who ever had contact with the great man, from his longtime artistic collaborators down to people who knew him as a passing acquaintance.  He was known to be a meticulous fusspot and perfectionist.  His two great passions in life were said to be women and sake.  In one instance, he was stabbed in the back (literally) by a prostitute who had fallen in love with him and whom he had jilted.  A few years later he was in a sauna, and a young man remarked on the scar.  Mizoguchi said to him, "until you have a scar like this one, you will never understand women."
"The sneakiness of prigs, the conventicle secrecy, gloomy concepts like hell, like sacrifice of the guiltless, like unio mystica in drinking blood; above all, the slowly fanned fire of revenge, of chandala revenge—all that is what became master over Rome."

The following users thanked this post: Vetus Ordo, Heinrich

Offline Vetus Ordo

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Hopeful Fatalist
« Reply #3083 on: April 02, 2020, 04:08:10 PM »
Mizoguchi said to him, "until you have a scar like this one, you will never understand women."

Words of wisdom.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

The following users thanked this post: Pon de Replay

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #3084 on: April 03, 2020, 06:45:24 AM »
Interesting how if one is famous, women, booze and consorting with prostitutes is "passion". If I were to do that, I think the word would be dissolute.
"It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry"

The following users thanked this post: Lynne

Offline Pon de Replay

• Feldwebel
« Reply #3085 on: April 03, 2020, 03:14:28 PM »
Interesting how if one is famous, women, booze and consorting with prostitutes is "passion". If I were to do that, I think the word would be dissolute.

Possibly.  But artistic genius covers a multitude of sins.  There is also a distinction to be made between a vapid hedonism and a cultured decadence.

The following users thanked this post: Maximilian

Offline christulsa

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #3086 on: April 03, 2020, 05:14:10 PM »
I loved Zatoichi as a tv series, about the blind traveling Samaurai, but the movies tended to be of less quality not to mention lewd.

Offline Pon de Replay

• Feldwebel
« Reply #3087 on: April 08, 2020, 02:02:08 PM »
The Life of Oharu (1952).  Fatalistic and Buddhistic; a life lived out nobly against a world of gratuitous suffering.  Naturally I loved it.

Offline Heinrich

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #3088 on: April 08, 2020, 03:03:58 PM »

The suspense, juxtaposition of man versus nature, i.e. a storm of metaphorical proportionality that underscores the allegory of feminine rage, depth of dialogue, mise-en-scene making mellifluous flows of flawless kaleidoscopes of stories, broken by the prism of the flame . Oh, child, I could go on.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 08:14:01 PM by Heinrich »

Offline Pon de Replay

• Feldwebel
« Reply #3089 on: April 08, 2020, 03:31:19 PM »

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, Lydia Purpuraria