Carrier unlocking a smart phone

Started by LoneWolfRadTrad, August 31, 2014, 10:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoneWolfRadTrad

I found a phone on the ground about a year ago.  My brother's a technician in a store that works on laptops and mobile devices and determined that the owner stopped looking for it already.  That, and the number is for an area code in a far away state.

He showed me how to clear the data and make it usable.  Thing is, he's busy and can't carrier unlock it to use any carrier.  It's an AT&T phone at the moment and uses a sim card.

Would anyone know how I could do it myself?

Kaesekopf

Xda developers forum would be the place to do it.  They should have a subforum for the phone and instructions on how to do it... I think.  Otherwise jump on ebay and buy the unlock code from someone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Chestertonian

did you try to find its previous owner first
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

LoneWolfRadTrad

Quote from: Chestertonian on August 31, 2014, 10:45:37 PM

No, my brother told me that the phone was already deactivated remotely, and it was covered in a thin layer of grime, so it had been on the ground a while and long lost it's charge. 

Chestertonian

Quote from: LoneWolfRadTrad on August 31, 2014, 10:50:11 PM
Quote from: Chestertonian on August 31, 2014, 10:45:37 PM

No, my brother told me that the phone was already deactivated remotely, and it was covered in a thin layer of grime, so it had been on the ground a while and long lost it's charge.
ah....carry on then :)
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Gardener

Quote from: LoneWolfRadTrad on August 31, 2014, 10:32:55 PM
I found a phone on the ground about a year ago.  My brother's a technician in a store that works on laptops and mobile devices and determined that the owner stopped looking for it already.  That, and the number is for an area code in a far away state.

He showed me how to clear the data and make it usable.  Thing is, he's busy and can't carrier unlock it to use any carrier.  It's an AT&T phone at the moment and uses a sim card.

Giggity... what model? I'll look some stuff up.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

LoneWolfRadTrad

Quote from: Gardener on August 31, 2014, 11:58:42 PM
Quote from: LoneWolfRadTrad on August 31, 2014, 10:32:55 PM

Giggity... what model? I'll look some stuff up.

Giggity.  :P

iPhone 4, model MD197LL/A, the OS is 7.0.4 (11B554a)

Gardener

See if this works:

You'll need to activate it first, so connect it to iTunes and get up the home screen.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe