Tips on selling a car

Started by Heinrich, August 09, 2014, 12:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertJS

Quote from: Greg on August 10, 2014, 09:30:32 AM
Dealers can generally buy super cheap cars through auctions and the trade network that non dealers don't have access to.  They will want to make at least 1500 dollars profit per car if they have business premises so given that the car is only worth 2000 bucks.

They only take your old car in part exchange for a "good price" if they are charging you 1000 too much on the car they are selling you.  Turn up with cash and you can negotiate a hefty discount on the retail of the newer car compare to part ex.

Few dealers are going to bother with a 16 year old car.  Not worth the hassle.  Backstreet dealers tend to sell cars like this.

If the car is really clean and tidy compared to other 1998 Cherokees then it will sell provided people know it exists.

I think Greg's is the best response to consider.

You may try www.edmunds.com to evaluate what it is actually worth as a used car. Be sure NOT to consider it as mint, if it is not, and be realistic.

Last year I had a 1991 Toyota Camry, and it ran really well for local transportation. But, I researched it and found it was just better to scrap it for junking at $200, but it was conveniently towed away for me from my house (I took out the battery first because it was in good shape).

ideo mittit illis Deus operationem erroris ut credant mendacio

voxxpopulisuxx

Ive been in heinrichs situation at least a dozen times...the best least complicated way is to park it with a sign...this isnt rocket science...cragslist works...but why pay an ebay fee?
Im still curious how much he is asking and if its inspected.
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

Greg

Depends on where you live and how much passing traffic.  How many eyeballs will see the for sale sign.

In addition a Jeep Cherokee of that age has a specific group of people who want it.  Not just any person who wants a reliable old car will want to buy a Jeep because they are large and fairly thirsty compared to a regular sedan or hatchback.

You pay eBay's fee when the bidding process will either generate a higher price than you would get hawking it through other channels OR you would not sell it otherwise.  Currently it is taking up space on his drive and uninsured something of a liability.  EBay simply makes it VERY easy to find something when you are looking for it.

Right now for example I am looking for an oak chest of the right dimensions to fit in a gap.  If I find it on ebay I will be happy to drive 100 miles round trip to pick it up and pay more than local bidders who just want a chest, because I have a specific gap to fill, they don't.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

james03

I believe Ebay works on a commission.  You don't pay unless you get a sale.  And you know the percentage commission up front.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

voxxpopulisuxx

You guys are way over thinking this...lol ;D

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

moneil

I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned local ad papers, but I was also surprised you didn't get a better response from craigslist.

Anyways almost every town / region up here in the northwest has an ad paper (Nickle Saver, Money Saver, The Exchange, Giant Nickel).  The Spokane area has one just for autos, trailers, campers, and related equipment called "Wheels and Deals" or something like that.

These papers (usually tabloid size) are generally published weekly and distributed at just about every convenience store, super market, many resturantes, and all over the place.  I know people who read them devotedly.  Their rates are way lower than newspaper classifieds and often include online coverage and low cost pictures.  Here is a link to give you an idea https://secure.nickel-classifieds.com/gnickel/place/2/16435 .

The problem with newspaper classifides, besides the expense, is fewer people subscribe today, prefering to get their news off the internet.  I subscribe to the local paper, mostly to get local news, but never look at the classifieds.  If I'm looking for something or just browsing I tend to look at craigslist or the ad paper.

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: Heinrich on August 09, 2014, 12:08:56 PM
I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee in good condition that I want to sell. I have done the Craigslist thing but the only calls I get are the vultures who offer to sell it for you and take 75% of the selling price. I have a sign on it, but there is no insurance so we don't drive it anywhere and it is parked where not much traffic comes by. The local paper has a $50  per week cost, which we have not done yet. I would prefer to stay away from spending money to sell it, but it looks as if it is the only option now. Anyone with suggestions?
HOW MUCH ARE YOU ASKING>>IS IT INSPECTED??? sheeeze!

911!

Greg

"I would prefer to stay away from spending money to sell it"

That is usually a mistake, especially for a car you claim is nicer than the average 1998 model.  $50 dollars spent on advertising in the right place will get you the demand and allow you to sell the car with greater ease to buyers who really want YOUR car and not just any car.  Those people won't haggle on the price as they want YOUR car.

Or as British car dealers like to [cryptically] say.  "Mini people have mini minds.  Jaguar people have jaguar minds".

Never a truer word spoken.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Arun

if your lucky enough to know any "wheeler and dealer" type people it pays to put word out through them.

i've seen plenty of vehicles, houses &c. advertised on my parish noticeboard are you sure they wouldn't let you at your parish?

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Akavit

What's the price and mileage?  You're located a little far away but I'm currently deciding between getting another aged vehicle or springing for a newer model to replace my Ranger.  Issue is if I get a clunker I need something that won't break down on 100 mile road trips or spend a lot of time in the shop for a year then I'd be able to replace it with a low mileage vehicle.

As far as tips to sell a car, make a Craiglist ad with a lengthy and humorous story about how "wow" the car is.

Jeep Wrangler Ad

Quote"I should start by saying that if you are looking for a "Pajama party Barbie Jeep" you my friend, should keep looking. If you are looking for a short description of to the beast before you, I can offer you two words "MEAT & POTATOES". This is the All American chariot of the free world..."

Looks to be some language in that ad as a heads up.

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: Akavit on August 13, 2014, 12:40:40 PM
What's the price and mileage?  You're located a little far away but I'm currently deciding between getting another aged vehicle or springing for a newer model to replace my Ranger.  Issue is if I get a clunker I need something that won't break down on 100 mile road trips or spend a lot of time in the shop for a year then I'd be able to replace it with a low mileage vehicle.

As far as tips to sell a car, make a Craiglist ad with a lengthy and humorous story about how "wow" the car is.

Jeep Wrangler Ad

Quote"I should start by saying that if you are looking for a "Pajama party Barbie Jeep" you my friend, should keep looking. If you are looking for a short description of to the beast before you, I can offer you two words "MEAT & POTATOES". This is the All American chariot of the free world..."

Looks to be some language in that ad as a heads up.
exactly this all has a bearing on which method you employ to sell the car.

911!

Heinrich

Burgundy 4 x 4 5.2liter V-8 Yankee made  snow boss. 189000 miles. Clean, shiny, powerful. Overall good condition. Kelly Blue Book value at 3,500.00. Listing for 2995. For a card carrying trad who needs a vehicle, I'll take 2k. Cash only. 
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: Heinrich on August 13, 2014, 06:04:04 PM
Burgundy 4 x 4 5.2liter V-8 Yankee made  snow boss. 189000 miles. Clean, shiny, powerful. Overall good condition. Kelly Blue Book value at 3,500.00. Listing for 2995. For a card carrying trad who needs a vehicle, I'll take 2k. Cash only.
189,000 miles?? For a Chrysler product? Id advertise 1500.00 and accept 900.00

911!

Heinrich

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on August 13, 2014, 06:56:09 PM

I guess you know more than Kelly Blue Book.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Arun

Quote from: Heinrich on August 13, 2014, 07:18:36 PM
Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on August 13, 2014, 06:56:09 PM

I guess you know more than Kelly Blue Book.

nah he's just laying the groundwork for when he offer you 800 lol

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih