Author Topic: homeschooling thread with resources?  (Read 144 times)

Offline diaduit

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Catholic
homeschooling thread with resources?
« on: July 10, 2020, 05:56:25 AM »
Do you think we should have a homeschooling thread with resource links, advice and general chit chat?

All my children 17,14,9,5 will be homeschooled from Sept.  So many factors coming together to make this decision so I definitely feel its the right decision.
I'm in Ireland so i'm trying to figure out how to start.  My youngest two are fine but my oldest two need to do A levels or Gcse's as our national examinations for entry into college might be a stretch too far for me to homeschool.

Offline Michael Wilson

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
Re: homeschooling thread with resources?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 04:32:04 PM »
It would be nice for those who are homeschooling and those who are either thinking about it, or have already done it.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

The following users thanked this post: Blue Violet

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 07:26:28 AM »
We're starting at the end of July.  I follow more of a year round schedule, doing six weeks on, one week off.  I only take six weeks off for summer break, as opposed to twelve.  I save the other six for advent, Christmas, and New Year's.  It's nice to be off then, and focus on all the liturgical richness without worrying about school work.

Are you building your own curriculum, or using prepackaged?

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Michael Wilson

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans Frontières
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 12:10:22 PM »
Do you think we should have a homeschooling thread with resource links, advice and general chit chat?

All my children 17,14,9,5 will be homeschooled from Sept.  So many factors coming together to make this decision so I definitely feel its the right decision.
I'm in Ireland so i'm trying to figure out how to start.  My youngest two are fine but my oldest two need to do A levels or Gcse's as our national examinations for entry into college might be a stretch too far for me to homeschool.

There have been a lot of discussions of homeschooling here over the years.  Usually they are posted in the Family Life sub-forum.  It might be helpful to have a stickied thread or two there with a current discussion and includes links to previous ones.  This could make it easier to find information.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

The following users thanked this post: Michael Wilson

Offline diaduit

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 02:34:46 PM »
That's what I mean Jayne. A sticky...I'm in an area with very poor internet, on hols in Co Clare. I'll root when I'm at home.

Munda , I'd like to build my own but probably not possible because I'd need an established examination for leverage to get to college.

I'll post more when I'm home. Tks

The following users thanked this post: queen.saints

Offline queen.saints

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 11:22:53 AM »
The ladies doing Mother of Divine Grace seem to be a really lovely and supportive group. I’ve never used it, but recently got a chance to see some of their younger children’s curriculum and it looked similar to Our Lady of Victory, except really pretty (always a bonus!) Though, Our Lady of Victory is ideal if you want to get through schooling as quickly and efficiently as possible and they are very, very nice as well and traditional Catholic. Their prices are also extremely good value.

https://www.olvs.org/

The following users thanked this post: Michael Wilson, diaduit