Author Topic: Emulators for Classic Games  (Read 3003 times)

Offline Wicked Papist

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Korporal
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Re: Emulators for Classic Games
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 01:27:45 AM »
Sites like GOG are making formerly abandonware games available for purchase again.  If we assume that abandonware is fine to acquire for free, does it become stolen property if later a company like GOG acquires the right to sell it?

Offline Daniel

• Feldwebel
Re: Emulators for Classic Games
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 10:19:01 PM »
Sites like GOG are making formerly abandonware games available for purchase again.  If we assume that abandonware is fine to acquire for free, does it become stolen property if later a company like GOG acquires the right to sell it?
Well, if we assume that we can morally break the law under the assumption that the law is unjust (i.e. that abandonware is essentially in the public domain and that the law has no right to say otherwise), then I'd say that there's really nothing wrong with somebody choosing to download the game for free instead of purchasing it from GOG (since the game would now be public property and its previous owner would have had no right to sell it to GOG in the first place).

However, this is exactly my point.  I do not believe that such a copyright law is unjust, especially considering that situations like these are possible.  In my opinion, it really makes no sense to say that a person removing his game from the market is the same thing as him forfeiting the copyright of his game.  It equally makes no sense to say that a person's failure to sue people for violating his copyright is the same thing as forfeiting his copyright.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:22:29 PM by Daniel »