Author Topic: "Renting" Books  (Read 7552 times)

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
"Renting" Books
« on: January 20, 2014, 09:25:13 AM »
Has anybody come across this online? I saw it on Google Books: they charge three dollars or so, and you have access to the book for forty-eight hours. I couldn't believe it! I thought this sort of thing had gone out with the Victorian "circulating libraries," where customers paid a subscription to take out books. I'd never pay to rent books: I've been spoiled by free libraries. The idea of having to pay to just borrow a book seems so wrong (even though I'm perfectly okay with aying to borrow movies).

What do you guys think?
"Make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is come to life again; he was lost, and is found."

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: "Renting" Books
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 09:26:03 AM »
I would pay to be part of a nice library (think of a public library, but nicer, with newer books, etc).

For only 48 hours though?  Doesn't seem worth it. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Offline Lynne

• happy to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • We're all special snowflakes
  • Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 09:31:58 AM »
Yeah, 48 hours is way too short. Our town library has rental books (new books by popular authors) but the rental period is for 2 or 3 weeks.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 10:04:21 AM »
Actually, I was wrong. I just checked and rentals are only for 24 hours. Now that's downright ridiculous.
"Make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is come to life again; he was lost, and is found."

Offline maryslittlegarden

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 10:18:54 AM »
Eh, my book rentals come from the library for free. 
Come, Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Thy faithful and enkindle in them the fire of Thy love

Offline LouisIX

• Oberstleutnant
  • Hauptmann
  • "Libtard"-in-Residence
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 01:39:30 PM »
I've rented books on my kindle for a month from Amazon. 
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 01:53:42 PM »

Textbooks?  Or?  How come?

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Offline LouisIX

• Oberstleutnant
  • Hauptmann
  • "Libtard"-in-Residence
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 01:56:35 PM »

Yeah, it was an academic work.  I only needed it for a paper and it was too expensive to buy.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Offline Penelope

• Hauptmann
  • Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 02:06:55 PM »
I could never just rent a book, even if the rental period was long enough to read the entire thing. I like to write in my books, dog-ear the pages, etc.

Offline LouisIX

• Oberstleutnant
  • Hauptmann
  • "Libtard"-in-Residence
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 02:08:10 PM »
I could never just rent a book, even if the rental period was long enough to read the entire thing. I like to write in my books, dog-ear the pages, etc.

You wouldn't like an e-reader then.

Offline Penelope

• Hauptmann
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 02:10:08 PM »
Yeah, I super don't like them. I also like being able to flip quickly back to something I read earlier to compare it to what I just read. You know, "Oh, that symbol (or whatever) popped up earlier in the book, too; let me flip back and find it."

Offline Kaesekopf

• Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 02:11:45 PM »
Yeah, I super don't like them. I also like being able to flip quickly back to something I read earlier to compare it to what I just read. You know, "Oh, that symbol (or whatever) popped up earlier in the book, too; let me flip back and find it."

Nerd.

Offline Kaesekopf

• Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 02:11:58 PM »

Yeah, it was an academic work.  I only needed it for a paper and it was too expensive to buy.

:lol:

That makes sense.

Offline Penelope

• Hauptmann
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 02:16:12 PM »

Nerd.

I mean, I'm a nerd for a living. You knew that.

Offline Kaesekopf

• Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 02:17:09 PM »

Nerd.

I mean, I'm a nerd for a living. You knew that.

Indeed I did.