Author Topic: Question About The Brown Scapular  (Read 10327 times)

Offline bben15

• Korporal
Question About The Brown Scapular
« on: January 18, 2014, 08:42:56 PM »
Hi. One of the requirements of the Brown Scapular is that I observe chastity in life. However, for the past year, I have been struggling with masturbation. Can I still receive the graces of the Scapular, even though I've been struggling with this sin?

Also, can I be enrolled in the Brown Scapular Confraternity, even though I'm not yet Catholic? Does the Scapular need to be blessed by a priest?

Thank you. God bless.

Offline Penelope

• Hauptmann
  • Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
Re: Question About The Brown Scapular
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 08:47:59 PM »
Once you're able, go to Confession. Others enrolled in the Brown Scapular have fallen into sins against chastity, but they go to Confession and they can pick up with living out the requirements of the scapular. I doubt you can be enrolled until you are a member of the Church, but someone else might have more concrete information about that. Regarding the struggle you're having, talk to your priest about how to avoid occasions of sin, etc.

Offline Daniel

• Feldwebel
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 09:40:58 PM »
Does the Scapular need to be blessed by a priest?
There's a blessing during the enrollment.  After you are enrolled then additional scapulars don't need to be blessed (that is, when your scapular breaks or gets worn out and you get a new one, the new one doesn't need to be blessed).

Also, I doubt you can be enrolled before entering into the Church.  (But I really don't know for sure.)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 09:53:24 PM by Daniel »

Offline Mr.Crowley

• Korporal
  • Omnis Vestri Substructio Es Servus Ad Nobis
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 11:08:15 AM »
There's a ridiculous amount of graces that come with wearing the scapular. Get yourself one and start wearing it. Ask your priest to enrol you just after your baptism, then you'll be able to keep in mind your baptism while you wear it as well.

One of the requirements for being good Catholic is observing chastity in life. We all struggle against sin, particularly the sins of the flesh, since our bodies can be so strong. perseverance in prayer is the key in all things. You're a Catholic, mate -you just haven't been baptised yet. God is surely paying attention to you in a good way, and won't turn a deaf ear to you. I'm sure you're already crowned with many graces. You're preparing for the sacrament of baptism, and a sacrament is an outward sign of inner grace. So though you haven't received the sacrament yet, you're graced by God. Keep that in mind, the divine assistance is with you, mate.
 Even sinners like us are given the gift of grace by God, by him alone, and there's little much we can do about it apart from accept them with thanks. Even the worst sinners are given graces, that they can come to God.

Offline bben15

• Korporal
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 11:20:33 AM »
There's a ridiculous amount of graces that come with wearing the scapular. Get yourself one and start wearing it. Ask your priest to enrol you just after your baptism, then you'll be able to keep in mind your baptism while you wear it as well.

One of the requirements for being good Catholic is observing chastity in life. We all struggle against sin, particularly the sins of the flesh, since our bodies can be so strong. perseverance in prayer is the key in all things. You're a Catholic, mate -you just haven't been baptised yet. God is surely paying attention to you in a good way, and won't turn a deaf ear to you. I'm sure you're already crowned with many graces. You're preparing for the sacrament of baptism, and a sacrament is an outward sign of inner grace. So though you haven't received the sacrament yet, you're graced by God. Keep that in mind, the divine assistance is with you, mate.
 Even sinners like us are given the gift of grace by God, by him alone, and there's little much we can do about it apart from accept them with thanks. Even the worst sinners are given graces, that they can come to God.

I was baptized as an infant.

Offline Mr.Crowley

• Korporal
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 11:27:43 AM »

What do you mean you're not Catholic then? Yer laughing if you were baptised. It's all good (Y). Say "I am a Catholic" and you're a Catholic.

Offline tradne4163

• Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Orthodox
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 11:51:24 AM »
Hi. One of the requirements of the Brown Scapular is that I observe chastity in life. However, for the past year, I have been struggling with masturbation. Can I still receive the graces of the Scapular, even though I've been struggling with this sin?

Also, can I be enrolled in the Brown Scapular Confraternity, even though I'm not yet Catholic? Does the Scapular need to be blessed by a priest?

Thank you. God bless.
Indeed you can receive those graces. In fact, the Brown Scapular will prove to be a powerful aid in your fight. It will also help to develop a good prayer life to fill the void. Especially mental prayer. above all else, talk to atraditional priest, by phone if you must. Tell him about your struggles, and ask him to recommend a prayer routine. that way, you get more graces for obedience on top of everything else.

One last note: This will likely be a cross you have to carry for the rest of your life. When it comes to sexual sins, a person is never the same once that line is crossed. The temptation to go back down that rabbit hole will always be there, especially when you're tired, depressed, lonely, or not feeling good in general. Follow what the priest says, and don't delay in countering the temptations when they come.
Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Take any post I write with a grain of salt. I've been wrong before, and can be again

Offline bben15

• Korporal
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 11:57:49 AM »

What do you mean you're not Catholic then? Yer laughing if you were baptised. It's all good (Y). Say "I am a Catholic" and you're a Catholic.

I was baptized as a Lutheran, not a Catholic. I haven't been received into the Catholic Church yet.

Offline Mr.Crowley

• Korporal
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 12:14:52 PM »
I was baptized as a Lutheran, not a Catholic. I haven't been received into the Catholic Church yet.

Was you baptised in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost? And you now believe the creed of the Catholic church? If yes, then you're a Catholic. 'Reception into the church' isn't on the list of sacraments. What does that even entail? Is there a specific ritual that must be done or something? If you're baptised in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost, and you believe the creed, then you're a Catholic. The paperwork is just a novelty.

Offline per_passionem_eius

• Wachtmeister
  • Fortitudo et laeticia
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 12:23:55 PM »
'Reception into the church' isn't on the list of sacraments. What does that even entail? Is there a specific ritual that must be done or something? If you're baptised in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost, and you believe the creed, then you're a Catholic. The paperwork is just a novelty.

I think bben15 means he's preparing to receive the sacraments of Confession and Confirmation.  You know - the ones you cradle Catholics take for granted!  ;)

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the Catholic Faith.

http://fatherfeeney.wordpress.com/

Offline Mr.Crowley

• Korporal
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 12:36:37 PM »
I went to Catholic school, and none of my family care about the Church. So I had to do that myself a few years after I moved out from home, when I was 19 or something. Confession I just went to, didn't need any fanfare for that. Confirmation they made me do some stupid RCIA course where they talked about the most superficial aspects of the church for four weeks. That was so frustrating. Still went to communion regularly, though. And I was a Catholic before my first communion when I was 8, too.

So I'm not a 'cradle Catholic' because that would imply I was brought up in a practicing Catholic family. I wasn't.

Baptised +believing = Catholic, innit ;)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 12:40:25 PM by Mr.Crowley »

• Wachtmeister
  • Fortitudo et laeticia
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 01:04:19 PM »
I went to Catholic school, and none of my family care about the Church. So I had to do that myself a few years after I moved out from home, when I was 19 or something. Confession I just went to, didn't need any fanfare for that. Confirmation they made me do some stupid RCIA course where they talked about the most superficial aspects of the church for four weeks. That was so frustrating. Still went to communion regularly, though. And I was a Catholic before my first communion when I was 8, too.

So I'm not a 'cradle Catholic' because that would imply I was brought up in a practicing Catholic family. I wasn't.

Baptised +believing = Catholic, innit ;)

You never left the Church, though, Deo gratias.  If you had embraced some false religion after your baptism, like the OP here, you would have had to have been confirmed before you could have rightly called yourself a Catholic. 

You're very generous in giving this OP the right to be called something as wonderful as Catholic.  But it's not the right time yet.  If he were already Catholic he could go to Confession and Communion. 

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the Catholic Faith.

Offline Mr.Crowley

• Korporal
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 01:07:59 PM »
Does atheism count as a false religion?

Why can't he just go to confession and communion?

• Wachtmeister
  • Fortitudo et laeticia
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 01:18:58 PM »
Why do you ask about atheism?  The OP is learning the Catholic faith so that he can know how to practise it.  He used to be a Lutheran.

Offline The Dumb Ostrich

• Vizekorporal
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 02:05:43 PM »
irst off, You need to recognize the moments or times in your life when you at your most vulnerable to MB, like at night, evening, or whenever your alone. . Think about the movies, shows, and even people you hangout with that cause the urges. Think about what internal causes you to MB like temptation, stress, anxiety, depression, bored, fear or anything of the like. When these scenarios take place you need to change your current habit of thought. This where you  need to develop a self talk attitude towards these moments. You need to know tell your self your get rid of stress in a different way because most moments are related to stress. This is where you need to develop a new habit. A healthy one of course. You can exercise , read, and if need be call a friend. Breaking a habit is very hard. You need to know that you are the farthest from being alone in the matter, granted that's not the problem. The real problem is everyone thinks its OK. That's the hardest thing to get your mind on is really how bad is this regardless what people say.

Second is most importantly. Prayer the rosary daily, pray the St. Michael's prayer. I can't stress it enough.   Reading about Saints can be helpful. Reading scripture. As Saint Augustine says "Do as if everything depends upon you, and prayer as if everything depends upon God"