Author Topic: Anyone here use the Monastic Diurnal for the Divine Office?  (Read 6109 times)

Offline Parresia

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Catholic. Straight, no chaser.
Re: Anyone here use the Monastic Diurnal for the Divine Office?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 04:48:32 PM »
I went ahead and purchased the Diurnal today.  If I run into issues, I may PM you with questions, or post them here, providing you don't mind. 

+Pax
sure thing. I believe I shared a link earlier in this thread to a blog I myself found quite useful (if you go by either the Universal Benedictine Calendar or the 1962 Roman Calendar). The lady there is very responsive as well. I myself plan to use a 1955 Diurnal, which can a be a bit more complicated since it uses an older ranking system. But you're welcome to PM me anytime.
What I recommend is that you match the Office with the Kalendar used by where you happen to assist most for a TLM, unless of course you happen to be a Benedictine Oblate. If that's the case, you can follow the Kalendar of the monastery or abbey you are attached to.

The vendor on Amazon says that the Diurnal comes with no cards that he had seen, thought he suggested that they might be contained inside the shrink wrap which protects the book.  Thoughts?  Is there somewhere else to get the cards in case it is not shipped with them?   Thanks!
I tracked down some downloads that contain helpful information. I'll try to attach them to this post. As for the ones you're missing, they included the Magnificat, Benedictus, and the opening of Lauds along with Psalm 66. That can easily be overcome since there are more than enough ribbons.

Awesome, thank you!

Offline Parresia

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 06:11:52 PM »
OK, so question 1.  I received my Diurnal in the mail yesterday and am starting to get familiar with it.  The hour that my wife and I pray together most often is Compline, so that seems to be a good place for me to start in terms of using the Diurnal.  Since Compline really does not change much in the Benedictine Office, that works out well also. 

However, when looking at the Psalter, something seems odd.  The Psalms are not broken up in a way that makes it obvious where the pauses are suppose to be in terms of phrasing for chant, and are not broken up in a way that makes it obvious where one person (side of the choir) or the other is supposed to be speaking.  There are various symbols intermixed with text that may designate this, but I am not seeing a legend which explains what those are. 

If you can explain how to figure those two things out, that would be a great start.

Thanks,

Offline tradne4163

• Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Orthodox
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 08:12:00 PM »
Well, I actually sold my 1963, but not all is lost. I use a 1955 version, which still follows the guidelines set by Divino Afflatu. To really be able to chant, you need a Vesperal, which is available secondhand. The thing is, it's closer to what I have than what you use in terms of the Calendar and rubrics.

You can hazard a guess based on certain markings that divide each verse. In my 1955, they're stars. i'm not sure what they are in the 1963, but I remember them there because I used them to chant recto tono. So each line is beginning to comma, then first word after comma to star.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 08:28:29 PM by tradne4163 »
Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Take any post I write with a grain of salt. I've been wrong before, and can be again

Offline Parresia

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 09:07:30 PM »
Well, I actually sold my 1963, but not all is lost. I use a 1955 version, which still follows the guidelines set by Divino Afflatu. To really be able to chant, you need a Vesperal, which is available secondhand. The thing is, it's closer to what I have than what you use in terms of the Calendar and rubrics.

You can hazard a guess based on certain markings that divide each verse. In my 1955, they're stars. i'm not sure what they are in the 1963, but I remember them there because I used them to chant recto tono. So each line is beginning to comma, then first word after comma to star.

There are definitely stars in my edition.  However, they fall in awfully awkward places for them to suggest switching from one side/person to the other.  They certainly do not match up with the breaks in phrasing from the modern office.

Offline tradne4163

• Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Orthodox
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 10:06:54 PM »

There are definitely stars in my edition.  However, they fall in awfully awkward places for them to suggest switching from one side/person to the other.  They certainly do not match up with the breaks in phrasing from the modern office.
That's where the Vesperal might be more helpful. Another thing to bear in mind is that the Diurnal assumes the user already has some working knowledge how to say the Monastic Office. You can try to ask the owner of Saints Shall Arise. She helped me out when I was stumped in a couple of places, too. Another person who would know a lot would be tim from FE. I know he uses the Monastic Office.
  Sorry I could not be of more help this time. I hope you find the answer.
Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Take any post I write with a grain of salt. I've been wrong before, and can be again

Offline Parresia

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2014, 10:23:03 PM »

That's where the Vesperal might be more helpful. Another thing to bear in mind is that the Diurnal assumes the user already has some working knowledge how to say the Monastic Office. You can try to ask the owner of Saints Shall Arise. She helped me out when I was stumped in a couple of places, too. Another person who would know a lot would be tim from FE. I know he uses the Monastic Office.
  Sorry I could not be of more help this time. I hope you find the answer.

No worries.  I just got off of a skype with someone who prays the Diurnal Office regularly and he helped me get squared away.  According to him, the star represents the mid point of the phrase and shows where the pause should be.  By judging the mid point, the next stanza shows where the shift from person to person (or from one side of the choir to the other) should be made. 

Thanks for all of your help, and for being so responsive!

Offline joe17

• Korporal
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2014, 11:58:03 PM »
Sounds like you are getting some proper instruction.  It can take some patience to get into praying the office by the rubrics-do not get discouraged.  One psalm at a time!
  Hope to talk again.

Joe

Offline Parresia

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 12:43:37 PM »
Sounds like you are getting some proper instruction.  It can take some patience to get into praying the office by the rubrics-do not get discouraged.  One psalm at a time!
  Hope to talk again.

Joe

Thanks!