Author Topic: Gestures during Mass  (Read 4076 times)

Offline totiusque

• Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Re: Gestures during Mass
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 01:20:50 AM »
Great thread!  I've been meaning to start one of these long ago.  Here are a few things that I've done, which may or may not be correct/normal:

Strike breast 3 times during Sanctus, Agnus Dei, and Domine non sum dignus (not the priest's, but the laity's).

Strike breast 3 times during elevations of Host and Chalice whilst reciting "My Lord and My God" for the Host and "Be Mindful, O Lord, of Thy creature whom Thou hast redeemed by Thy most Precious Blood" for the Chalice.

Recite, as a whisper, all of the server prayers (Prayers at the Foot of the Altar, Confiteor, Suscipiat, etc.), and do the Signs of the Cross with them and the priest.

Bow head when priest does (at the name of Jesus, during a Gloria Patri et Filio..., three times during the Gloria, etc.).

Sing along with the choir even though I'm not in it.

Strike breast 3 times during Leonine prayers of Salve Regina and Most Sacred Heart of Jesus prayers.

Perhaps I am trying too hard to "participate" in Mass when all these externals are not necessary???
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross