Author Topic: Which feast on December 8 this year?  (Read 1629 times)

Offline Roland Deschain

• Wachtmeister
  • St John Chrysostom, ora pro nobis!
  • Religion: Catholic
Which feast on December 8 this year?
« on: December 07, 2013, 03:16:10 PM »
I was always under the impression that no other feast could be celebrated on a first class Sunday such as tomorrow. I believe our priest is going to say the Mass of the Immaculate Conception.

Any resources available for dealing with this Liturgical conundrum?
‘Since Moses was alone, by having been stripped as it were of the people’s fear, he boldly approached the very darkness itself and entered the invisible things where he was no longer seen by those watching. After he entered the inner sanctuary of the divine mystical doctrine, there, while not being seen, he was in company with the Invisible. He teaches, I think, by the things he did that the one who is going to associate intimately with God must go beyond all that is visible and—lifting up his own mind, as to a mountaintop, to the invisible and incomprehensible—believe that the divine is there where the understanding does not reach.’

—St Gregory of Nyssa

Offline Spooky

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
Re: Which feast on December 8 this year?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 03:47:29 PM »
I recall Father saying that Immaculate Conception trumps 2nd Sunday in Advent...

Offline Pheo

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 04:22:58 PM »
Yeah, the IC outranks the Sundays of Advent:

Rubricae Generalis 91:

91. All titles and norms hitherto governing the precedence of liturgical days are annulled. This precedence is governed solely by the following:

Table of Liturgical Days
Arranged in the order of Precedence
Liturgical Days of the First class

1. Christmas day, Easter Sunday and Pentecost Sunday (1st class with octave).
2. The sacred triduum.
3. The feasts of the Epiphany and the Ascension of our Lord, of the Most Holy Trinity, of Corpus Christi, of the Heart of Jesus and of Christ the King.
4. The feasts of the Immaculate Conception and of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
5. The vigil and the octave day of Christmas.
6. The Sundays of Advent, Lent and Passiontide, and Low Sunday.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Offline Larry

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 04:23:07 PM »
Some dioceses are moving the Immaculate Conception to Monday and celebrating the 2nd Sunday of Advent tomorrow. I'm not sure if they are doing this in Philly.  I expect most traditionalist Churches, both diocesan and SSPX, will celebrate the Immaculate Conception. I'm going to the Byzantine liturgy, which will celebrate The Conception of the Most Holy Mother of God by the Righteous Anna.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Offline Archer

• Hauptmann
  • Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is lethal.
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 04:28:26 PM »
Some dioceses are moving the Immaculate Conception to Monday and celebrating the 2nd Sunday of Advent tomorrow. I'm not sure if they are doing this in Philly.

Yeah that's a NO thing.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Offline devoutchristian

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 04:43:06 PM »
Under the General Roman Calender, the IC is transferred to Monday, although the obligation is not. Under the old liturgical Calender, the IC is celebrated on Sunday.
Modernism! Modernism! All is modernism (even if its not)!

"For Catholics, nothing will remove the authority of the Second Council of Nicaea, where it condemns those who dare, after the impious fashion of heretics to deride ecclesiastical traditions, ... or to endeavor by malice or craft to overthrow any one of the legitimate traditions of the Catholic Church. " --Pope St. Pius X (1903-1914), Encyclical Letter Pascendi Dominici Gregis, September 8, 1907

An excerpt from the works of Martin Luther:

"bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep"

Quote from: the Council of Trent
CANON VII.--If any one saith, that the ceremonies, vestments, and outward signs, which the Catholic Church makes use of in the celebration of masses, are incentives to impiety, rather than offices of piety; let him be anathema.

Offline Larry

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 04:57:37 PM »
Just found this. It's pretty disconcerting that they're changing the day of the feast, but doing away with the obligation. Why not just celebrate the Immaculate Conception on the traditional day?

http://catholicism.about.com/od/2013calendar/f/2013_Immaculate.htm

When Is Immaculate Conception 2013?
Find the details of this important Marian feast

By Scott P. Richert

Question: When Is Immaculate Conception 2013?

The Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception celebrates the saving work of God in preserving the Blessed Virgin Mary from the stain of original sin. Because of His foreknowledge that Mary would consent to bear Christ, God kept Mary free from original sin from the moment of her conception in the womb of her mother, Saint Anne. (See Who Was Born Without Original Sin? for more details.) What is the date of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception 2013?

Answer: Immaculate Conception would normally fall on Sunday, December 8, 2013. However, since that is the Second Sunday in Advent 2013, the celebration of the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception is transferred to the next day, Monday, December 9, 2013.

Unlike certain other Holy Days of Obligation, where the requirement to attend Mass is abrogated when the date of the feast falls on a Saturday or a Monday, the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception is so important that the obligation is not waived when it falls on Saturday or Monday. (See Is Immaculate Conception a Holy Day of Obligation? for more details.) Thus, when Immaculate Conception 2014 falls on Monday, December 8, Catholics will be obliged to attend Mass.

However, the situation in 2013 is different: Since the normal date of the feast falls on Sunday, the celebration has been transferred to Monday, but the obligation does not transfer. Thus, in 2013, the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception is not a Holy Day of Obligation.

Offline voxxpopulisuxx

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
  • Religion: duhhhhh
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 05:01:30 PM »
Some dioceses are moving the Immaculate Conception to Monday and celebrating the 2nd Sunday of Advent tomorrow. I'm not sure if they are doing this in Philly.  I expect most traditionalist Churches, both diocesan and SSPX, will celebrate the Immaculate Conception. I'm going to the Byzantine liturgy, which will celebrate The Conception of the Most Holy Mother of God by the Righteous Anna.
And following the feast of St Nicholas its really stacked!
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

“You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

“From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world.”St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

Offline Larry

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 05:06:37 PM »
And following the feast of St Nicholas its really stacked!

I went to a Tridentine Mass last night, but it was a votive Mass for the Sacred Heart. I wish there would have at least been a commemoration of St. Nicholas(though I'm sure St. Nicholas didn't mind the honor given to Our Lord's Sacred Heart). My friend went to a Divine Liturgy and said it was gorgeous.

Offline Archer

• Hauptmann
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 05:27:26 PM »
Just found this. It's pretty disconcerting that they're changing the day of the feast, but doing away with the obligation. Why not just celebrate the Immaculate Conception on the traditional day?

By Scott P. Richert

The Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception celebrates the saving work of God in preserving the Blessed Virgin Mary from the stain of original sin. Because of His foreknowledge that Mary would consent to bear Christ, God kept Mary free from original sin from the moment of her conception in the womb of her mother, Saint Anne. (See Who Was Born Without Original Sin? for more details.) What is the date of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception 2013?

Answer: Immaculate Conception would normally fall on Sunday, December 8, 2013. However, since that is the Second Sunday in Advent 2013, the celebration of the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception is transferred to the next day, Monday, December 9, 2013.

Unlike certain other Holy Days of Obligation, where the requirement to attend Mass is abrogated when the date of the feast falls on a Saturday or a Monday, the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception is so important that the obligation is not waived when it falls on Saturday or Monday. (See Is Immaculate Conception a Holy Day of Obligation? for more details.) Thus, when Immaculate Conception 2014 falls on Monday, December 8, Catholics will be obliged to attend Mass.

However, the situation in 2013 is different: Since the normal date of the feast falls on Sunday, the celebration has been transferred to Monday, but the obligation does not transfer. Thus, in 2013, the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception is not a Holy Day of Obligation.

The NO is always looking for ways to do less.  Convenience trumps obligation. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Offline devoutchristian

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 05:33:52 PM »

By Scott P. Richert

Would you prefer if December 9th was a HDO this year?
Modernism! Modernism! All is modernism (even if its not)!

"For Catholics, nothing will remove the authority of the Second Council of Nicaea, where it condemns those who dare, after the impious fashion of heretics to deride ecclesiastical traditions, ... or to endeavor by malice or craft to overthrow any one of the legitimate traditions of the Catholic Church. " --Pope St. Pius X (1903-1914), Encyclical Letter Pascendi Dominici Gregis, September 8, 1907

An excerpt from the works of Martin Luther:

"bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep"

Quote from: the Council of Trent
CANON VII.--If any one saith, that the ceremonies, vestments, and outward signs, which the Catholic Church makes use of in the celebration of masses, are incentives to impiety, rather than offices of piety; let him be anathema.

Offline Lynne

• happy to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • We're all special snowflakes
  • Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 06:28:01 PM »

By Scott P. Richert

This.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

Offline Archer

• Hauptmann
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 07:19:40 PM »

Would you prefer if December 9th was a HDO this year?

That would, at the bare minimum, reinforce the importance of such a significant Feast Day.   

But if you really want to know what I prefer, I would rather they didn't screw around with Feast Days at all.  And while we're at it, it would be nice if they were following the 1962 calendar and rubrics too.