Author Topic: New regulations pull the plug on the 75-watt incandescent light bulb  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Pæniteo

  • Korporal
  • **
  • Posts: 425
  • Thanked: 7 times
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Re: New regulations pull the plug on the 75-watt incandescent light bulb
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 10:52:08 AM »
It's a bummer to see incandescent light bulbs get the boot.  Yes, they are wasteful in heat, but they are so danged cheap to make and to buy.  And, if you break one?  Oh clean the glass up.  What do you do when you break a CFL bulb?  Evacuate the room because of the mercury used in the bulb.  Isn't mercury dangerous and bad?  Oh, but it's good enough for light bulbs, because those never break?

But this is not really justification for incandescent bulbs.

Yes, they are cheap to make, but my experience has been that one gets what one pays for. incandescent bulbs are individually cheaper, but they do not last as long. One is not buying a bulb once, but continuously using them. I spent $14 on bulbs (sale, two pack) 3 years ago and no more. An entire house is lit without loss of light.

For the mercury, the concern is about buildup, not individual bulbs breaking. Yes, there are warnings about them, but really, the issue is how to dispose of them, not what to do if one breaks individually.

All fluorescent lights have mercury in them. 
 

Offline peanut

  • Vizekorporal
  • **
  • Posts: 247
Re: New regulations pull the plug on the 75-watt incandescent light bulb
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 04:58:52 PM »
They have been banned in the Peoples' Democratic Republic of Australia for a while, too.  They've been mostly replaced with halogen globes, which cost more and last about 6 months before you have to replace them.
Latest article: Corporate assessment centres - deranged products of mercantile delusion: http://bit.ly/16Nq0Tf