Author Topic: 19th Century "Photoshop"!  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Lyubov

• Wachtmeister
19th Century "Photoshop"!
« on: January 03, 2013, 12:41:23 AM »
Cool stuff!

It's not quite as subtle as the airbrushing we're used to seeing in certain celebrity magazines.

But these amusing pictures show how the Victorians were the first to manipulate photographs to create some rather bizarre images.

Photographers at the time combined images from more than one negative to create the novelty photographs which caused a sensation when they were first published.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2256159/How-Victorians-beat-internet-beheading-craze-100-years-Bizarre-pictures-19th-Century-photoshopping.html
Имя ты мое услышишь
Из под топота копыт.

Offline Penelope

• Hauptmann
  • Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
Re: 19th Century "Photoshop"!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 12:53:36 AM »
These images are only mildly horrifying.

Offline EcceQuamBonum

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 07:49:42 PM »
I can see a bunch of Victorians sitting around, thinking this was the funniest thing they'd ever done.

Also, the Cottingley Fairies were a pretty clever exercise in Victorian photographic manipulation.
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRujuE-GIY4

Offline Lyubov

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 04:40:00 AM »
Also, the Cottingley Fairies were a pretty clever exercise in Victorian photographic manipulation.

To me, they seem obviously fake, but I guess it was different back then. I'm still surprised that they managed to trick so many people (including Sir Arthur Conan Doyle!), though.
Имя ты мое услышишь
Из под топота копыт.

Offline OCLittleFlower

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • CALIFORNIA DEPLORABLE
  • Religion: Trad to the max!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 08:15:57 PM »
Awesome!   ;D
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

Если вы можете прочитать это, вы лучше.

Offline EcceQuamBonum

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:34:34 PM »

To me, they seem obviously fake, but I guess it was different back then. I'm still surprised that they managed to trick so many people (including Sir Arthur Conan Doyle!), though.

Yes, I guess since photography was still a relatively new phenomenon, people weren't as aware of the manipulability of the technology as we are now.  Probably the way I imagine that the earliest email viruses fooled everyone who received them.  ;)
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRujuE-GIY4

Offline OCLittleFlower

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • CALIFORNIA DEPLORABLE
  • Religion: Trad to the max!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 10:36:18 PM »

Yes, I guess since photography was still a relatively new phenomenon, people weren't as aware of the manipulability of the technology as we are now.  Probably the way I imagine that the earliest email viruses fooled everyone who received them.  ;)

Very true!
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

Если вы можете прочитать это, вы лучше.