Council of Trent on modern "cohabitation"

Started by drummerboy, April 04, 2023, 09:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drummerboy

Would chapters 4 and 8 of the 24th Session of the Council of Trent, "Regarding Matrimony," be applicable to the modern trend of couples cohabitating before Marriage? Chapter 4 speaks of a first and second degree of fornication, and speaks of the affinity arising from such.  I know what affinity refers too, but what are the two degrees?  Chapter 8 regards concubinage; while modern, sophisticated, folk don't like talking about concubinage, cohabitation strikes me as practically the same, the only difference being cohabitating people often seek marriage afterwards, while in the past everyone knew what a concubine was for.  Any help would be appreciated!
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Michael Wilson

Chapter IV explains that affinity of the first degree (immediate family, brother/sister/father/mother)or second degree in a marriage, would dissolve the marriage; but if there is fornication before marriage, it does not dissolve the marriage contracted afterwards if the affinity is beyond these first two degrees. I believe that it means that any illegitimate offspring within the first two degrees of contiguity, cannot validly contract marriage withing those degrees.   
Chapter VIII, decrees that married men carrying on an adulterous relationship, must cease this immediately, and if they do not do so after three warnings, will be excommunicated. The same for the women involved in adulterous relationships.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers