Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 240248 times)

Offline martin88nyc

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #2220 on: December 25, 2019, 09:17:39 PM »
I got mine here for around 200$. It's soft cover
https://www.traditionalcatholicpublishing.com/liturgical-year.html
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

The following users thanked this post: Prayerful

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #2221 on: January 04, 2020, 12:55:40 PM »
I'm considering 1Q84, by Murakami. I'm worried that it might be too weird for me, though. Anybody read it?
"Make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is come to life again; he was lost, and is found."

Offline Michael Wilson

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #2222 on: January 04, 2020, 05:07:27 PM »
I got mine here for around 200$. It's soft cover
https://www.traditionalcatholicpublishing.com/liturgical-year.html
I owned those books for a while, and they are really great; unfortunately the only thing I remember about them, is that D. Gueranger stated that August was the month with the most saints feastdays.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #2223 on: January 08, 2020, 05:24:03 AM »
The third in Cormac McCarthy's Border Trilogy, Cities of the Plain. Outstanding.
"A landscape of low shacks of tin and cratewood here on the outskirts of the city. Barren dirt and gravel lots and beyond them the plains of sage and creosote. Roosters were calling and the air smelled of burning charcoal. He took his bearings by the grey light to the east and set out toward the city. In the cold dawn the lights were still burning out there under the dark cape of the mountains with that precious insularity common to cities of the desert. A man was coming down the road driving a donkey piled high with firewood. In the distance the churchbells had begun. The man smiled at him a sly smile. As if they knew a secret between them, these two. Something of age and youth and their claims and the justice of those claims. And of the claims upon them. The world past, the world to come. Their common transiencies. Above all a knowing deep in the bone that beauty and loss are one."
"It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry"