Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 234549 times)

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #2205 on: November 15, 2019, 09:10:13 AM »
The book of Isaiah, Louis de Wohl's The Joyful Beggar (St. Francis of Assisi), and Col. Stuart A. Herrington's Traitors Among Us: Inside the Spy Catcher's World.
"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Providence is a present mystery by which our hope is confirmed and our faith solidified, if we give not into despair or disbelief.

Woe is me, because I have held my peace. Isaiah 6

Offline Jacob

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #2206 on: November 26, 2019, 10:39:32 AM »
Laurus by Eugene Vodolazkin, translated by Lisa C. Hayden.

I enjoyed this very much and got a lot out of it.  It is an easy read, moves right along, with interesting characters.  It doesn't drag at all.
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
--Neal Stephenson

The following users thanked this post: Pon de Replay, Lynne

Offline Jacob

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #2207 on: November 27, 2019, 08:48:06 PM »
Went to the library today and dropped off Laurus.  Picked up The Aviator by Vodolazkin.  It was well reviewed.  It won awards.  Translated by the same woman.
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
--Neal Stephenson

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #2208 on: November 30, 2019, 08:53:45 AM »
Rescue of the Bounty: Disaster and Survival in Superstorm Sandy by Michael Tougias and Douglas Campbell.
"It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry"

Offline Philip G.

• Korporal
  • Ordinary Cult
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #2209 on: November 30, 2019, 11:35:57 PM »
I am reading Tan Modern Saints, Louis Lamour short stories of the frontier, and Pascal's Provincial Letters. 

I just came across a passage last night that seems like a prophecy in Letter 2 of Pascal, where in dialogue with the New Thomists who try to ride a middle between the Jesuits and the Jansenists, Pascals says to him/them.  "The Jesuits will gain a triumph, it will be their grace, which is sufficient in fact, and not yours which is only so in name, that will pass as established: and the converse of your creed will become an article of faith." 

For a bit of context, Pascal says "in one word, then, I found that their difference about sufficient grace may be defined thus.  the Jesuits maintain that there is a grace given generally to all men, subject in such a way to free will that the will renders it efficacious or inefficacious at its pleasure, without any additional aid from God and without wanting anything on his part in order to act effectively; and hence they term this grace sufficient, because it suffices of itself for action.  The Janesnists, on the other hand, will not allow that any grace is actually sufficient which is not also efficacious; that is, that all those kings of grace which do not determine the will to act effectively are insufficient for action; ;for they hold that a man can never act without efficacious grace."

As for the doctrine of the new thomists "it is rather an odd one, they agree with the jesuits in admitting a sufficient grace given to all men, but they maintain at the same time, that no man can act with this grace alone, but that in order to do this, he must receive from God an efficacious grace which really determines his will to the action, and which God does not grant to all men."  "So, this grace is sufficient without being sufficient?  Exactly."

Do you think Pascal's prophecy came true?  Do you think the Jesuit's sufficient grace ties in with modernism? 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 11:38:15 PM by Philip G. »
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

The following users thanked this post: Maximilian

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #2210 on: December 02, 2019, 06:44:15 PM »
Little Dorrit. One of my favorites. :)
"Make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is come to life again; he was lost, and is found."