Author Topic: Bought anything interesting lately?  (Read 205183 times)

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Re: Bought anything interesting lately?
« Reply #2025 on: May 18, 2019, 03:49:23 PM »
Well, I ended up not receiving The Liturgical Year after all. The seller only sent the first book. Needless to say, I got a refund. Now I'm on the hunt for another set. :(

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #2026 on: May 18, 2019, 04:13:07 PM »
Well, I ended up not receiving The Liturgical Year after all. The seller only sent the first book. Needless to say, I got a refund. Now I'm on the hunt for another set. :(

Bummer.

I had an experience a while ago where I purchased a DRB special edition from the 50s from Amazon private seller. They sent me a KJV. Still same artwork and edition type, but wrong text. Sent it back and they gave refund.
"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Providence is a present mystery by which our hope is confirmed and our faith solidified, if we give not into despair or disbelief.

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #2027 on: May 21, 2019, 08:08:07 AM »
Now I've bought The Liturgical Year:P Complete hardcover set, for about what I paid for the first "set", and probably in better condition. Seller's shipping them out today!  ;D Anybody know of a good liturgical calendar online, so I can start with the right volume?

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Prayerful

Offline Gardener

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #2028 on: May 21, 2019, 10:09:32 AM »
62? 55? Late-mid 1800s when Dom Gueranger was writing?
 :D

Here's the 1962 from OLGS seminary:
http://www.fsspolgs.org/en/liturgical-aids/liturgical-calendar/
"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Providence is a present mystery by which our hope is confirmed and our faith solidified, if we give not into despair or disbelief.

The following users thanked this post: Bernadette

Offline Gardener

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #2029 on: May 25, 2019, 11:25:59 AM »

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, Lynne

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
« Reply #2030 on: May 26, 2019, 04:02:21 PM »
I bought a prayer book off Goodwill.

Thanks, Gardener.  :lol:
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, Lynne, Josephine87

Offline Gardener

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #2031 on: May 26, 2019, 04:34:07 PM »
They have some gems every once in a while, for sure. Got an entire Summa on there for... I dunno, 67 bucks or something?

Offline Vetus Ordo

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: The Way
« Reply #2032 on: May 26, 2019, 08:53:46 PM »
I was recently given a very nice book that teaches the fundamentals of how to write the letters and sounds of the Arabic language: Alif Baa, Introduction to Arabic Letters and Sounds.

I hope to finally be able to read and write Arabic by the end of the year. It's something that I've been too lazy to do until now.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

The following users thanked this post: Gardener, Fleur-de-Lys, Josephine87

Offline Gardener

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #2033 on: May 26, 2019, 10:00:26 PM »
I was recently given a very nice book that teaches the fundamentals of how to write the letters and sounds of the Arabic language: Alif Baa, Introduction to Arabic Letters and Sounds.

I hope to finally be able to read and write Arabic by the end of the year. It's something that I've been too lazy to do until now.

I used that one for my Intro to Arabic class.

I never kept up with it, but its a beautiful language.

Offline Josephine87

• Mary Garden
  • Korporal
« Reply #2034 on: May 26, 2019, 10:18:19 PM »
I bought a tiny Confraternity New Testament with a fascinating little intro regarding its translation and earlier translations of the Rheims NT. I've been meaning to make a thread about it, maybe Tuesday. A couple used Catholic books: This is the Mass and Catholic History through Biography. I also got a lovely used kids book called In The Town all Year Round. No words, just beautifully illustrated and it even includes nuns and a monastery! Also got a couple used Spanish books for kids.
"Begin again." -St. Teresa of Avila

My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur