Author Topic: Bought anything interesting lately?  (Read 192781 times)

Offline Chestertonian

• The Stephen Hawking of SD
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
  • Eternal Gadfly
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Bought anything interesting lately?
« Reply #1995 on: December 29, 2018, 10:28:51 PM »
The boys are really liking their mini-picnic table. They seem to do much better during meals vs the booster seats. Collapses flat, so we can take it places too.

my siblings and i had something like that when we were kids
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Offline Prayerful

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #1996 on: December 30, 2018, 08:19:40 PM »
Another Napoleonic era hand missal, similar in that P Keating, Brown & Co. published both, albeit moving from 37 to 38 Duke St, Grosvenor Square, Psalm XIX for the King, a prayer for 'George our King, Charlotte our Queen, and the royal issue' after Communion, although the earlier one is more strident in prayers for the army and people 'committed to his care' (so no ambiguity in the service of the Jacobites), Five Points or Resolutions on the last page, propers mostly in translation only (but the St Joseph Daily Missal of the sixties had the same policy too) but there are some differences like the 1806 missal having a more archaic look with f for s, the 1815 having a Jesuit symbol on its cover. Also Go Pro Hero 7 action camera for bicycle and as dash cam, but the battery capacity is barely sufficient for a trip to the shops, let alone a long journey.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Offline Heinrich

• Der hat einen Rosenkranz und steht jetzt als Arbeiter bei
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • "Hebst du doch, Geck?" Schlank und eisig.
« Reply #1997 on: December 30, 2018, 08:30:35 PM »
Wasn't Catholicism still forbidden in Great Britain until 1830? If so, who would be using it? Fascinating nonetheless.

Maybe you can use the camera for trips to the refrigerator.
Pray for the Consecration.                           
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Bear in mind that the more the enemy assaults you, God is closer to your soul." --St. Padre Pio

Offline Prayerful

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #1998 on: January 02, 2019, 01:53:22 PM »
Wasn't Catholicism still forbidden in Great Britain until 1830? If so, who would be using it? Fascinating nonetheless.

Maybe you can use the camera for trips to the refrigerator.

No it wasn't forbidden, but from Henry VIII's attempt at Catholicism without the Pope or various devotions which annoyed him until Catholic Emancipation there were a great many legal disabilities, enforced with varying levels of strictness, Penal Laws, sometimes death for priests from abroad, or for instance fines for not attending 'Divine Service' or restrictions on inheritance. For instance Bishop Challoner (16911781) revised the the very literally translated Douay-Rheims of Fr Gregory Martin SJ, while in England, although there were the savage Gordon Riots when the Catholic Relief Act was passed in 1778 (this lifted the threat of long imprisonment or even worse for Catholic priests). The Dukes of Norfolk were usually Catholic and remained premier peers of the realm. Catholicism largely seemed to survive with a body of believers who were either very poor, sometimes Irish migrants or Highland Scots and a number of aristocratic families whose chapels provide places of Catholic worship in times of stricter enforcement of the law.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, Maximilian, Christe Eleison

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #1999 on: January 20, 2019, 11:54:50 AM »
Bought a carry-on for my upcoming trip to Monterey (after the shutdown is over- there's no way I'd fly right now). Carry-on is by Piel leather and looks fantastic. It's not here yet, but I have a backpack by them and am impressed with the workmanship.

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich