Author Topic: Kovalev vs. Alvarez  (Read 141 times)

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Roter Fleisch, der Speck und Bourbon
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
Kovalev vs. Alvarez
« on: November 02, 2019, 03:34:57 PM »
In before Mean Gene. The 'PC' champ, the darling of the Caesar Chavez wing of the Communist Party USA, Canelo Alvarez, has jumped up two classes to fight an aging, yet still powerful, natural light heavy weight journeyman, Sergey Kovalev of Russia(boooooo!). This has interesting all over it. If Alvarez is truly as good as he is hoped to be by the red bean crew, then he will outbox a lumbering crow footer, scoring a decision, which would portend an incredibly boring fight. If, on the other hand, señor Soapweed decides to go pie a pie with an Ural Wolverine, he could get drubbed. What say you, pugilist pals?

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/27976798/ringside-seat-kovalev-hopes-halt-canelo-quest-history
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 08:15:20 PM by Heinrich »
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

The following users thanked this post: MeanGene

Offline MeanGene

• Hellebardier
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Kovalev vs. Alvarez
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 08:39:16 PM »
As Heinrich notes this is probably the most interesting boxing match of the year. There are basically two possible outcomes. The first and most likely is that The younger (albeit smaller) Canelo will be able to pound the ageing Kovalev's body and get a stoppage within rounds 8 to 11. The second outcome is that Canelo has simply bitten off more then he can chew and Kovalev is able to keep him on the outside with his out standing jab and cruise to a lopsided decision or stoppage victory. If I had to bet money I would say Canelo is going to stop Kovalev because I think the Russian is simply too old and has too much wear and tear to hold Canelo off.

To be honest this whole fight kind of pisses me off because I know that if Canelo wins he'll drop back down to 168 or 160 again and refuse to face either Dimitry Bivol or Artur Bieterbiev in a Light heavyweight unification bout. Both the other two Russians are far too large and strong for Canelo to beat them (without the judges helping anyway.) Beterbiev in particular is a scary physical specimen. Often times a fighter will be a great puncher, yet weak in the clinch. Kovalev is such a fighter. Other fighters are so-so punchers, but immensely strong in the clinch. Andre Ward falls under this category. Every so often you'll get a guy who is the best puncher in their division and the strongest in the clinch to boot. Beterbiev is one of those rare guys. Which is why Canelo will never fight him.

In summation I think Canelo is going to knock out the older shot fighter in Kovalev. This annoys me because I know all his dumb media acolytes will hail this has a great historic victory and refuse to acknowledge Kovalev's obvious deterioration. On a more petty level I don't like Canelo's dumb red headed face and would enjoy watching him lose. We'll see how it goes in a few hours.

Btw here's a really good breakdown video by Englishman Lee Wylie.
The contemplative is not one who discovers secrets no one knows, but one who is swept into ecstasy by what everyone knows.
-A Carthusian

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich

Offline MeanGene

• Hellebardier
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 02:27:38 AM »
So I watched the fight. What a joke. Canelo entered the ring to a video that hailed him has the first fighter since the great Henry Armstrong to hold 3 belts simultaneously, one at 160, another at 168, and finally the one at 175 which he hadn't actually won yet. I've never seen such an arrogant, self serving thing in all my years of watching sports.

For some historical context for the 3 division champion at once claim, keep in mind that Henry Armstrong accomplished this back when there were only 8 belts period. One for each division. He moved from featherweight to lightweight, and then welterweight. He actually attempted to win the middleweight belt and just barely lost. In fact, many observers at the time felt he won. In other words a featherweight came within a hair of claiming half of the sport's belts at one time. That's something that should be physically impossible, but Armstrong was just that good. No featherweight would ever dream of attempting such a thing today.

Canelo by comparison won one of 4 middleweight belts from an undersized, old Miguel Cotto. He then spent two years waiting for the real middleweight champ (GGG) to show signs of age before he finally challenged him. He was gifted a draw, and then won a razor thin decision to become the undisputed middleweight champ. He then moved up to fight a no name fighter with a belt at 168 and finally claimed one of the 175 straps from an aging, washed up Kovalev. Yes, both Canelo and Henry Armstrong held 3 belts simultaneously, but Canelo isn't Armstrong's equal, not by a long shot.

As for the fight itself, Kovalev boxed conservatively and built up a points lead behind his jab. Although, every commentator at Dazn actually had Canelo on points. In the 11th round Canelo finally caught Sergy with a violent right hand. He went down hard and the ref immediately waived it off. If you didn't know any better you'd think this was an incredible knock out win for Canelo, but the truth is that he beat up an old man who's been washed up since his fights with Ward. I'm sure Kovalev will take his 12.5 million and retire. Canelo and his team will most likely go back down to middleweight, finally give a rapidly deteriorating GGG a third fight, and pummel him into submission.

Canelo is a very good fighter, don't get me wrong, but at the end of the day he's first and foremost a box office draw and these shenanigans really wear on real fans of the sport.
The contemplative is not one who discovers secrets no one knows, but one who is swept into ecstasy by what everyone knows.
-A Carthusian

The following users thanked this post: Michael Wilson

Offline Michael Wilson

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 07:29:24 AM »
Mean Gene,
 thanks for your commentary on the boxing; I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and insights with us.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Roter Fleisch, der Speck und Bourbon
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 01:48:36 PM »
Kovalev is 37; by today's standards that is not that old for an athlete. What with sports science: training and nutrition being what it is, e lite athletes are competing on top stages up to and including 40. For example, Brothers Klitschko, Oleg Taktarev, James Harrison, Tom Brady, etc. Nonetheless, it appears that Kov took the money and ran. Why not? I think if he had invested a 21st routine, he could have won. I don't like Alvarez due to what you have mentioned and the fact that he is a propaganda tool.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.