« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 01:58:50 AM »
Haha.

Offline Elliott

• Wachtmeister
Re: Shill
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 02:08:57 AM »
From google:

shill /SHil/

Noun An accomplice of a hawker, gambler, or swindler who acts as an enthusiastic customer to entice or encourage others. Verb Act or work as such a person: "your husband in the crowd could shill for you".

Offline poche

• Feldwebel
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 02:21:26 AM »
From google:

shill /SHil/

Noun An accomplice of a hawker, gambler, or swindler who acts as an enthusiastic customer to entice or encourage others. Verb Act or work as such a person: "your husband in the crowd could shill for you".
So is there aspecial internet meaning? 

Offline Gottmitunsalex

• "As the head of the Church, I cannot answer you otherwise: The Jews have not recognized Our Lord; therefore we cannot recognize the Jewish people." ---Pope St. Pius X
  • Feldwebel
  • Magister Generalis - Hochmeister
    • My position.
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 02:33:02 AM »
From Wiki

A shill, also called a plant or a stooge, is a person who publicly helps a person or organization without disclosing he has a close relationship with the person or organization.

"Shill" typically refers to someone who purposely gives onlookers the impression he is an enthusiastic independent customer of a seller (or marketer of ideas) for whom he is secretly working. The person or group who hires the shill is using crowd psychology, to encourage other onlookers or audience members to purchase the goods or services (or accept the ideas being marketed). Shills are often employed by professional marketing campaigns. "Plant" and "stooge" more commonly refer to any person who is secretly in league with another person or organization while pretending to be neutral or actually a part of the organization he is planted in, such as a magician's audience, a political party, or an intelligence organization (see double agent)

In online discussion media, satisfied consumers or "innocent" parties may express specific opinions in order to further the interests of an organization in which they have an interest, such as a commercial vendor or special interest group. In academia, this is called opinion spamming.[4] Web sites can also be set up for the same purpose. For example, an employee of a company that produces a specific product might praise the product anonymously in a discussion forum or group in order to generate interest in that product, service, or group. In addition, some shills use "sock puppetry," where they sign on as one user soliciting recommendations for a specific product or service. They then sign on as a different user pretending to be a satisfied customer of a specific company
"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

Offline The Harlequin King

• Feldwebel
    • Modern Medievalism
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 07:44:56 AM »
Internet example: I would be a shill if, every time someone on this forum talked about cars or asked for automotive advice, I told them to buy a Honda AND didn't disclose the fact that I'm a Honda employee. Add to this that I do the exact same thing on every other Catholic forum on the Internet, under different account names.

Within trad things specifically, the best I can think of is that perhaps there could be someone posing on the Internet as an SSPX apologist without disclosing that he's actually an SSPX priest, or Bishop Fellay's nephew, or whatnot. Point being that he is clearly not a neutral party because he has a direct interest in the success of said group.