Author Topic: Sin against the first commandment?  (Read 215 times)

Offline Philip G.

• Wachtmeister
  • Ordinary Cult
  • Religion: Catholic
Sin against the first commandment?
« on: March 24, 2021, 01:11:24 PM »
Brace yourself, I am not trying to troll here.  But, in such a sense as described below, is health insurance, and modern hospitals for that matter, a sin against the first commandment?  People not only justify their existence, but necessitate their existence with "what if" arguments like "what if you are hit by a car riding your bike in the bike lane following all of the laws?", "what will you do?".  But, this same person is fearless when it comes to occasions of sin, like immodesty in dress and speech and the like.  But, they are the first to be filled with fear when it comes to things that are not a sin.  It is not a sin to be hit by a car when you are riding your bike in the bike lane following all of the laws.  But, it is a sin to keep bad company and all that follows.

How is this fear of such "accidents" not a sin against the first commandment?  BTW it is also this same person who welcomes driverless cars and lines up to be the first to get one.  Bike-car accidents are definitely going to go up with the advent of driverless cars.  Who here disagrees with that?
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Online Melkor

• Korporal
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Re: Sin against the first commandment?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 04:22:05 PM »
I donít ride a bike and I hate when people ride one on the road. They always drive like they own the road.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented."

G.K. Chesterton

Offline Philip G.

• Wachtmeister
  • Ordinary Cult
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 09:41:52 PM »
I donít ride a bike and I hate when people ride one on the road. They always drive like they own the road.

Where I live, bicycle riders and driver relations are confused.  Too many drivers encourage and expect cyclists to not stop at stop signs or obey the laws.  Cyclists do not reject this invite, and proceed to act like they own the road.  It is really a problem of not knowing the laws.  I have been a daily cyclist for about 5 years, I do not wear a helmet, and I feel very safe.  The road ahead is like an open sesame.

But, contrast this secular reasoning in my OP with catholics reasoning regarding sin.  So long as you get health insurance and confess a gratefulness for the modern emergency room, you can do whatever extreme activity you like.  But, catholics cannot go commit some sin and expect the harm to our soul to be less by the fact that we are wearing a scapular, or because a nearby priest is like padre pio and in the confessional all day.  Or, the best example might be because we are scheduled to be baptized shortly after the sinful occasion.  If something warrants our fear, which is a gift of the holy ghost, coming in the form of fear of the lord, the only reason we are allowed to encounter an occasion of sin is to overcome the sin with charity.  Which, would translate in the secular reasoning to be, never ride a bicycle.  If such an activity can cause so much dread, the catholic response is to never participate in such activity.  Giving money to some insurance shark and keeping a lifealert necklace on is not a catholic response, if such an activity is indeed problematic.  But, the "what if" scenarios never seem to end for people like this.  This fear is in my opinion against the first commandment.  Because, we are to fear the lord firstly, not "love" the lord firstly.  Because, if "love" as opposed to "fear" was the gift of the holy ghost, it might be justified to cast such a grain of incense to the insurance shark out of "love" for the activity in question, in this case, riding a bike.  But, last I checked, Jesus did not ride a bike. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 09:57:19 PM by Philip G. »
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Online Melkor

• Korporal
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 09:56:07 PM »
Not completely sure I understand your reasoning here. If a Catholic has insurance but is very afraid of riding a bike, that is their problem. I donít see how it is a sin either, they are just being stupid. Also someone who gets insurance and thinks; now I can put my life in danger because I am covered, yay! I highly doubt any sane person thinks like this. Now, it is a sin to tempt God of course. Presumption in secular matters (without presuming upon God, of course) is just overconfidence, presumption in spiritual ones is a sin. And no, entering an occasion of sin is never a good idea, for whatever Ďcharitableí motives.

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented."

G.K. Chesterton

Offline Philip G.

• Wachtmeister
  • Ordinary Cult
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 10:03:54 PM »
Not completely sure I understand your reasoning here. If a Catholic has insurance but is very afraid of riding a bike, that is their problem. I donít see how it is a sin either, they are just being stupid. Also someone who gets insurance and thinks; now I can put my life in danger because I am covered, yay! I highly doubt any sane person thinks like this. Now, it is a sin to tempt God of course. Presumption in secular matters (without presuming upon God, of course) is just overconfidence, presumption in spiritual ones is a sin. And no, entering an occasion of sin is never a good idea, for whatever Ďcharitableí motives.

I should had said "proximate" occasions.  I avoid bars and drinking taverns, because I see them as proximate occasions.  But, I have heard of priests going to such places in order to accomplish some charitable act, such as putting the fear of God into some drunk parishioner.  That is what I mean. 

And, to think that life cannot be lived in our society without health insurance or the existence of emergency rooms is ridiculous.  It is our times grain of incense.  That is what I mean.  Try doing without for a while, and see what happens. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 10:08:06 PM by Philip G. »

Online Melkor

• Korporal
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 10:34:56 PM »
No itís not a grain of incense. Who compromises their Faith by getting a broken arm fixed? Or buying insurance so that they donít have to pay for it?

G.K. Chesterton

The following users thanked this post: coffeeandcigarette