Author Topic: Fr takes a stand  (Read 899 times)

Offline diaduit

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Catholic

Offline Lynne

• Thankful to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Major
Re: Fr takes a stand
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 06:26:01 AM »
Is he a diocesan priest? Very brave!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

The following users thanked this post: Xavier, Blue Violet, Munera tibi Domine

Offline Elizabeth.2

• Korporal
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 07:00:30 AM »
 :pray3: For Fr. Hughes.

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, Xavier, Blue Violet

Offline clau clau

• My other bike is a Pinarello
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Traditionalist videogamer - I only play 8-bit video games
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 11:30:51 AM »
God Bless Father Hughes.

St Patrick, pray for us.
St Hugh, pray for us.

Fr. PJ Hughes from Mullahoran Co. Cavan. interview shannon side 1st of Dec

Would you like to shake hands with Pope 1 or Pope 2 -
 me (inspired by Dr Seuss) see: https://seuss.fandom.com/wiki/Thing_One_and_Thing_Two

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.

The following users thanked this post: mikemac, Xavier, Blue Violet

Offline Prayerful

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 12:26:33 PM »
Get 500 Euro from a Cavan man? That'll happen. Brave priest
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

The following users thanked this post: diaduit

Offline mikemac

• Hauptmann
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 03:48:00 PM »
Good for Fr. Hughes.  That church looks like it's big enough to hold 40 people safely.

After the last church lockdown the numbers increase to our Latin Mass and they increased even more after this most recent lockdown.  We must have had about 55 people yesterday.  I remember just a few years ago on quite a few Sundays there would be just the priest, Jim, Annette and myself to the Latin Mass.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima’s prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is “despair, overcome.”
Source

Offline Miriam_M

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Never have been "MiriamB"
  • Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 08:17:31 PM »
I've only been waiting 12 months for even one priest to do this.  What most Catholics don't realize is that a priest is actually required to prioritize the sacraments over civil restrictions, but too many love their freedom, privileges, and the Respect of Men more than anything.

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden

Offline clau clau

• My other bike is a Pinarello
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Traditionalist videogamer - I only play 8-bit video games
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 02:24:49 AM »
I've only been waiting 12 months for even one priest to do this.

I think there was a priest in Croatia who did this close to 1 year ago. One is not necessarily aware when its in a different language/culture.

https://culturewars.com/podcasts/croatian-priest-defies-c-19-lockdown

From what I remember the government backed down.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 06:51:19 AM by clau clau »
Would you like to shake hands with Pope 1 or Pope 2 -
 me (inspired by Dr Seuss) see: https://seuss.fandom.com/wiki/Thing_One_and_Thing_Two

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.

Offline diaduit

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 04:34:39 AM »
Is he a diocesan priest? Very brave!

Yes he is so he has even less backing from his Bishop or fellow priests.  He really is on his own except for parishioners.

Mikemac, it has exploded in our church, we are having secret masses and every week new visitors coming.  You can spot them a mile away and God Bless them as they are obviously responding to grace.

Prayerful.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 

Cavan people are supposed to be tightwads and its a national joke....

- Where does a Cavan father bring his kids on Christmas Eve?
To Santa’s grave.

- Why does a Cavan man get married in a farmyard? So the hens can eat the rice.

- How was the Grand Canyon formed? A Cavan man dropped a nickel down a rabbit hole.

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, mikemac, Lynne, james03, Prayerful, Blue Violet, Elizabeth.2

Offline Prayerful

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 04:25:33 PM »
Birds have to pack a sandwich flying over Cavan.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

The following users thanked this post: mikemac

Offline Miriam_M

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 12:34:18 PM »

I think there was a priest in Croatia who did this close to 1 year ago. One is not necessarily aware when its in a different language/culture.

I don't think it's a matter of "different language and culture."  I think it's a matter of news access.  I try to follow global news such as BBC global, Le Monde and Parish Match, and some other sources, but I don't have time to read international publications every day. 

Nevertheless, my point holds, because if you're saying that the government backed down in Croatia after the priest took a stand, I'm telling you (and I am sure you have followed this) that the same thing happened in the States.  When dioceses and individual priests -- despite in many cases a hands-off policy by their bishops -- cowered submissively to the secular government, the government continued to pile on smugly. When priests defied orders, often supported by lawsuits, the government backed down.

The following users thanked this post: Blue Violet

Offline Lynne

• Thankful to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Major
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2021, 05:22:49 PM »

I don't think it's a matter of "different language and culture."  I think it's a matter of news access.  I try to follow global news such as BBC global, Le Monde and Parish Match, and some other sources, but I don't have time to read international publications every day. 

Nevertheless, my point holds, because if you're saying that the government backed down in Croatia after the priest took a stand, I'm telling you (and I am sure you have followed this) that the same thing happened in the States.  When dioceses and individual priests -- despite in many cases a hands-off policy by their bishops -- cowered submissively to the secular government, the government continued to pile on smugly. When priests defied orders, often supported by lawsuits, the government backed down.

Were there diocesan priests here in the States who defied their bishops' or the government's orders?
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

Offline Prayerful

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2021, 05:59:52 PM »

Governments tend to back down on things they are not entirely dead set on doing. The Irish government and a horde of fools seem utterly set on a lockdown which is both harsh and ineffectual. The Croatian government was perhaps not seized with that deranged mindset, which sees the government refuse vaccines from companies and wait instead for their EU masters to dribble them out. Now this in a way might be good, as only the most insane will abide a lockdown which would last as long as it would take for the Irish government to vaccinate a large portion of the population. Hopefully this vaccination effort will fail.

Offline diaduit

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2021, 03:42:48 AM »

Governments tend to back down on things they are not entirely dead set on doing. The Irish government and a horde of fools seem utterly set on a lockdown which is both harsh and ineffectual. The Croatian government was perhaps not seized with that deranged mindset, which sees the government refuse vaccines from companies and wait instead for their EU masters to dribble them out. Now this in a way might be good, as only the most insane will abide a lockdown which would last as long as it would take for the Irish government to vaccinate a large portion of the population. Hopefully this vaccination effort will fail.

Nope, their running in for their vaccinations like a Kenyan olympian.

However, I haven't met one supporter of the lockdown in weeks.  Tide is changing.  God forgive me but if we could have a few obvious deaths from the vaccine, it would put a halt on the eagerness of them to take the jab.

Offline Miriam_M

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2021, 01:52:30 PM »

Were there diocesan priests here in the States who defied their bishops' or the government's orders?

At first I thought this was a diocesan or independent priest, but it appears he is with the Society:

https://www.catholicworldreport.com/2020/12/11/sspx-parish-in-california-freed-from-covid-19-restrictions/

https://www.foxla.com/news/catholic-priest-sues-newsom-for-violating-religious-rights-with-californias-covid-19-shutdown

https://thomasmoresociety.org/victory-for-california-catholic-priest-as-judge-prohibits-covid-19-restriction-enforcement/

Regarding dioceses, not individual priests:
https://www.scotusblog.com/2020/11/brooklyn-catholic-diocese-asks-justices-to-block-limits-on-attendance-at-church-services/

https://dioceseofbrooklyn.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/AS_FILED_Roman_Cath_Diocese_Brooklyn_v_Cuomo_Complaint_FINAL_2020.10.08.pdf

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/community/catholic-lutheran-leaders-say-they-will-hold-in-person-services-beginning-may-26/89-614bba3f-ca15-48cd-a011-d0a17082c1f4

In  any case, the point is that this was another massive failure in leadership by the US bishops; I can't speak for bishops in other countries, but judging from a distance, they don't look better.  In my searches to answer your question, Lynne, I ran across shameful statements by bishops (Timothy Dolan and others) that criticized laity for virtuously going the distance (literally) to fulfill the Third Commandment, which is a First Tablet Commandment, meaning, of course, that it is absolute. To tell the (literally) faithful that they should not follow their consciences and natural law and divine law by traveling to find Masses is to do the devil's work, without exaggeration. Timothy Dolan will not be present at my Particular Judgment, and I will not be going to Hell for him.