Author Topic: Is this a big deal?  (Read 300 times)

Offline TandJ

• Mary Garden
  • Vizekorporal
Is this a big deal?
« on: March 13, 2021, 04:24:38 PM »
So I admit I am a pretty poorly catechized convert but I am always wondering how to make better confessions. I couldn’t find any info about if this is allowed so I thought I would ask here.

When confessing sins I had forgotten in previous confessions sometimes I just add them in with the current sins and don’t make the disclaimer, “here are sins from the past I had forgotten”... this isn’t a serious thing is it? The only thing I could find was the general obligation to confess forgotten mortal sins but I haven’t read that you must declare the forgotten.

One more thing, I was so horrible at determining which sins were serious or not I’d always err on the safe side and just confess them as certain and not doubtful. I was really trying to be careful and make a good confession but have learned since that this is actually not ok to do. I guess I relied on my feeling as my conscience instead of reason. So, what do I do about this now?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 04:30:53 PM by TandJ »

The following users thanked this post: Melkor

Offline Melkor

• Korporal
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Re: Is this a big deal?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 04:59:09 PM »
Its perfectly ok, if they are mortal and you forgot them just say them in the next confession: you can tell the priest that you forgot them or not. It's up to you, I usually tell him that I forgot them last time. Well, the three conditions for a mortal sin are: it is a grave matter, committed with full knowledge, and complete and deliberate consent. As a confessor once told me when I confessed a sin but wasn't sure if it was mortal; "If you don't know if it is mortal or not, its venial." He seemed almost amused at my query.   

Edit: The devil likes to play head games with you. I am not overly scrupulous, but I sometimes ask myself: did I actually sin? If you didn't make a conscious act of the will and consent to the sin, you didn't sin. Simple as that.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 05:18:50 PM by Melkor »
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented."

G.K. Chesterton

The following users thanked this post: james03

Offline Daniel

• Feldwebel
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 04:25:29 PM »
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 04:42:29 PM by Daniel »

Offline james03

• Hauptmann
  • The Brutal Clarity of a Winter Morning
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 08:11:54 PM »
You are a female and hate making decisions.  God makes allowances for you.

Melkor gives good advice.  Also, confession is for you.  It is your reset button.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

The following users thanked this post: Melkor

Offline TheReturnofLive

• Ecce Homo
  • Wachtmeister
  • Abducted by aliens from Styx's "Come Sail Away"
  • Religion: Doubting Roman Catholic
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 01:19:57 PM »
So I admit I am a pretty poorly catechized convert but I am always wondering how to make better confessions. I couldn’t find any info about if this is allowed so I thought I would ask here.

When confessing sins I had forgotten in previous confessions sometimes I just add them in with the current sins and don’t make the disclaimer, “here are sins from the past I had forgotten”... this isn’t a serious thing is it? The only thing I could find was the general obligation to confess forgotten mortal sins but I haven’t read that you must declare the forgotten.

One more thing, I was so horrible at determining which sins were serious or not I’d always err on the safe side and just confess them as certain and not doubtful. I was really trying to be careful and make a good confession but have learned since that this is actually not ok to do. I guess I relied on my feeling as my conscience instead of reason. So, what do I do about this now?
St. Alphonsus Liguori is your friend.