Author Topic: Bishop Barron at it again  (Read 3235 times)

Offline Mr. Mysterious

• Mr. Mysterious
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Traditional Catholicism
Bishop Barron at it again
« on: March 04, 2021, 06:01:05 PM »
This time he has Traditionalists in his crosshairs.

https://www.crisismagazine.com/2021/the-beiging-of-bishop-barron
"Take courage! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Offline Elizabeth.2

• Korporal
Re: Bishop Barron at it again
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 07:12:41 PM »
People are showing their true colors right and left these days.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Mysterious, Lynne

Offline ralfy

• Vizekorporal
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 08:33:44 PM »
Also, in reference to the point raised concerning Pope Benedict XVI:

"Pope Benedict XVI likes the Novus Ordo"

Offline Mr. Mysterious

• Mr. Mysterious
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 09:17:24 PM »

Even though in the past he's called it "fabricated liturgy" and "a banal, on the spot product."

Offline Miriam_M

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Never have been "MiriamB"
  • Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 04:15:32 AM »
I went to the article and found the diversion more interesting -- the "mean and judgmental" video, LOL. 

I actually think a lot of the comments were spot on because although it sounded at the beginning like just another trash-trads-party, it ended up being much more truthful about the superficiality of the N.O.M. and the "expectations" there than I would have guessed from the beginning.  I guess the host is in the process of making some film with several European and other locations, regarding the Latin Mass.

The men, especially, were totally spot on about the purpose of the traditional Mass and how being serious about one's presence has nothing to do with being "mean and nasty" to newcomers but rather shutting everything out except our prayerful presence because it is not about people and how they relate to each other; it's about God.

One of the men also made a really great point about the refuge of the TLM and the instinctive protectiveness about that sacred space -- that gets translated into "unwelcoming," which --again-- shifts the focus to so-called social responsibility at an unsocial occasion.

This all strikes a chord with me because I'm in crisis with a friend from the N.O. who claims she wants to learn Tradition, but she is so closed to anything but a subjective experience of religion and so threatened by anything except subjectivity, that I'm finding this very painful and it is definitively straining our friendship. I may open a different thread in the hopes of getting some advice.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Xavier, Christina_S

Offline Xavier

• Eternal Father, through Mary's Immaculate Heart, We Offer You the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your Dearly Beloved Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ in Atonement for our sins and those of the Whole World.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Slave of the Risen Jesus in the Holy Sacrifice.
    • Marian Apostolate Life Offering.
  • Religion: St. Thomas' Indian Traditional Roman Catholic.
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 05:46:52 AM »
Good article. Bp. Barron needs to change some of his opinions on "dare we hope" etc and on the universal necessity of Christ for salvation, and his hostility toward trads. If the Church doesn't believe and preach that there is no salvation without Jesus Christ, She will soon find She seems to have no raison d'etre. Bp. Barron does do some good work otherwise, and some non-Catholics have entered the Church thanks to him, so I hope H.E. corrects his opinion on these matters, and then he could begin to do truly useful work for the Church, by holding to orthodox doctrine.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 06:10:01 AM by Xavier »
To understand God's Plan for Humanity, and how He has provided the means by which we can minimize the Coming Great Tribulation, read: https://maryrefugeofholylove.com/

Offer your Life to Jesus and Mary: TEXT OF THE LIFE OFFERING, adapted: Dear Lord Jesus, before the Holy Trinity, Our Heavenly Mother, and the whole Heavenly Court, united with Your most Precious Blood and Your Sacrifice on Calvary, We hereby Offer our whole Lives to the Intention of Your Sacred Heart and to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Together with our life, we place at Your disposal all Holy Masses, all our Holy Communions, all Rosaries, all acts of consecration, all our good deeds, all our sacrifices, and the suffering of our entire life for the Adoration and Supplication of the Holy Trinity, for Unity in our Holy Mother Church, for the Holy Father, Pope Francis the First; and for His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI. For His Eminence Patriarch Kirill of Moscow, His Excellency Metropolitan Hilarion, as well as His Eminence Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople, that they may re-unite their flocks with the Roman Catholic Church, and there may soon be but One Fold and One Shepherd. For all the 220+ Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, for all 6000+ Bishops of the Universal Church that they may be true Apostles and Shepherds; and for the 400,000+ Priests, the 700,000+ Nuns, 50,000+ Monks, 100,000+ seminarians, that they may all become the Saints the Divine Will wishes them to be; for all the 1.35 Billion Members of the Church, the Millions of Catholic Catechumens and Children to be born and baptized in this Decade; we pray for good Priestly and Religious Vocations, for All Lay Apostolates, and All Souls until the end of the world. O my Jesus, please accept our life Sacrifice and our offerings and give us Your grace that we may all persevere obediently until death. Amen." https://marianapostolate.com/life-offering/

"Mother of God, Co-Redemptrix of the world, pray for us" [Promise: 1000 Souls from Purgatory]"This short prayer, this insistent prayer, every time it is said, sets free from Purgatory 1000 Souls, who reach the Eternal Joy, the Eternal Light"(!). http://www.jesusmariasite.org/jesus-pray-my-children-that-the-fifth-marian-dogma-be-proclaimed/

The following users thanked this post: Christina_S

Offline MaximGun

• Korporal
  • Religion: Trad Catholic
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 07:07:04 AM »

Even though in the past he's called it "fabricated liturgy" and "a banal, on the spot product."

As Pope Benedict how many public old-rite masses did he say?

I rest my case.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Padraig, aquinas138

Offline Vincentus Ioannes

• Vizekorporal
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 01:26:46 PM »

If he thought that, why didn't he do something about it?

Offline Christina_S

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Sub tuum praesidium
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 01:39:56 PM »
How timely. I'm part of a moms group that has mostly FSSP attendees, along with a few NO ladies, one of whom announced her departure recently. This was in the wake of a loooooong conversation about Bishop Barron and why trads dislike him, as well as some chatter about the risks of vaccination (typical moms group).

I still don't know how some people are willing to gobble him up without an ounce of suspicion that he may not be right about everything.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out my husband's blog!
Latest posts: Letter to a Simple Man
 -  Contra Sedevacantism
 -  Three Epiphanies

https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/

The following users thanked this post: Lynne

Offline King Wenceslas

• What we do in life echoes in eternity.
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 02:04:20 PM »
If we were in 350 AD, who should we be listening too?

Pope Liberius or Bishop Athanasius?

Who should we be listening to in 2021 AD

Bishop Barron or Bishop Vigano or Bishop Schneider?

Don't waste your time on Barron. He is not a Catholic Bishop. The church of man he is creating will crumble into dust when God decides.

Time for all of us to move on and stop fretting about what these apostates say about us.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 02:11:59 PM by King Wenceslas »

The following users thanked this post: MaximGun, Elizabeth.2

Offline Lynne

• Thankful to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Major
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 05:16:54 PM »
How timely. I'm part of a moms group that has mostly FSSP attendees, along with a few NO ladies, one of whom announced her departure recently. This was in the wake of a loooooong conversation about Bishop Barron and why trads dislike him, as well as some chatter about the risks of vaccination (typical moms group).

I still don't know how some people are willing to gobble him up without an ounce of suspicion that he may not be right about everything.

It's as if they believe the whole hierarchy is infallible.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

Offline ralfy

• Vizekorporal
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 08:47:07 PM »

Yes, and they're mentioned here:

https://taylormarshall.com/2013/01/eleven-great-quotes-from-pope-benedict.html

The strange thing is that points for and against it are given in the same sources. Meanwhile, points against were raised from around 1972 to around 2000, and points for from 1985 to around 2007.

My guess is that for points against he wasn't referring to form but to practice. And that the EF was allowed for those who miss it.

The following users thanked this post: Xavier

Offline Mr. Mysterious

• Mr. Mysterious
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2021, 10:46:47 PM »

Because for the past 60 odd years or so Rome's policy has been that when a mistake has been made they don't try to correct it, they try and live with it.

Offline TheReturnofLive

• Ecce Homo
  • Wachtmeister
  • Abducted by aliens from Styx's "Come Sail Away"
  • Religion: Doubting Roman Catholic
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2021, 12:19:46 PM »

Because for the past 60 odd years or so Rome's policy has been that when a mistake has been made they don't try to correct it, they try and live with it.

That's been Rome for the past 1000 years to be fair

The following users thanked this post: Padraig

Offline lauermar

• "Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy night!" from 'All About Eve' (1950).
  • Feldwebel
  • Baby Boomer
  • Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2021, 12:35:03 PM »
This part of the article resonated with me personally:

"When you read Barron’s descriptions of traditionalist Catholics, you find the words “extreme,” “radical,” and “angry” peppered throughout. Apparently, in his view traditional Catholics are a fringe movement of socially-inept people who desire to overthrow the Church and install their own 1950’s-style religion in its place...it’s true that traditional Catholics have long had a reputation for being mean and judgmental. This reputation is partially justified. From the early 1970’s until Pope Benedict’s motu proprio liberalizing the use of the traditional Latin Mass, traditional Catholics were truly on the peripheries of the Church."

I must admit that I fit the definition and it has turned many people off. Other traditionalists are not like that, they're far more humble than I am. After the election aftermath I've had some months to examine my conscience and start an Ignatian Spiritual Exercise program. I pray that it will help me change. I had to reduce my time listening and reading angry conservative blogs because they were an occasion of sin for me.
"I am not a pessimist. I am not an optimist. I am a realist." Father Malachi Martin (1921-1999)

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Christina_S, Aulef