Author Topic: Can Catholics use marijuana?  (Read 2469 times)

Online Melkor

• Korporal
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Can Catholics use marijuana?
« on: February 10, 2021, 01:29:01 PM »
Ok, so firstly, I am not advocating for smoking weed and getting stoned, nor am I a cannabis user. Never touched the stuff. I am genuinely wanting to the know what the Church's view on this is, and due to the fact that mainstream weed usage has only been very recent, there is not a lot to go on. There seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions regarding the usage of this plant. It seems one priest says yay, another says nay. Technically if you do not abuse it it would seem to be tolerated, much as alcohol is. Or am I wrong? I am not talking about using oil for health reasons, I am talking about the recreational use of.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented."

G.K. Chesterton

Offline Gardener

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
Re: Can Catholics use marijuana?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 02:34:15 PM »
The typical argument against recreational use is the supposed loss of the use of reason. Since dosing is not widely known, I can see how this would be a problem.

Then again, I've never really read a cogent explanation for where that loss of reason is apparent. Crapping the bed in a stupor? Saying something you don't mean? doing something you wouldn't normally do "sober" (then what if one does such a thing sober, which they normally wouldn't do?).

I dunno.

But I'd say the big issue is dosing and personal tolerance would be the big issue. Those issues are ignored for medical use due to double effect.
“The Modern Attack will not tolerate us. It will attempt to
destroy us. Nor can we tolerate it. We must attempt to destroy it as being the fully equipped and ardent enemy of the Truth by which men live. The duel is to the death.” - Hilaire Belloc, The Great Heresies

The following users thanked this post: Melkor

Online Melkor

• Korporal
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 02:47:12 PM »
Exactly. Just like any kind of alcohol. When you drink (I speak for myself) you become a louder, bolder, more vocal version of yourself. But in moderation the Church allows drinking. So following the same line of reasoning the occasional joint is ok? Again, due the potential of an addiction forming I recommend avoiding weed, but it would seem that it is not directly forbidden by Mother Church. It is a touchy subject undoubtedly, much more so than alcohol is.

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented."

G.K. Chesterton

Offline Gardener

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 03:08:30 PM »
Exactly. Just like any kind of alcohol. When you drink (I speak for myself) you become a louder, bolder, more vocal version of yourself. But in moderation the Church allows drinking. So following the same line of reasoning the occasional joint is ok? Again, due the potential of an addiction forming I recommend avoiding weed, but it would seem that it is not directly forbidden by Mother Church. It is a touchy subject undoubtedly, much more so than alcohol is.

Marijuana addiction is less physically disruptive to overcome than coffee, and certainly easier than alcohol.

The only real addiction potential is mental, and that can apply to anything.

Again, the issue is dosage levels and where it pushes a person into loss of reason for a recreational purpose. I've never seen the latter defined in an applicable and non-theoretical manner. Like, no concrete examples. And as far as I know, dosage levels would be dependent on consistency of use, tolerance, etc. Just like booze.
“The Modern Attack will not tolerate us. It will attempt to
destroy us. Nor can we tolerate it. We must attempt to destroy it as being the fully equipped and ardent enemy of the Truth by which men live. The duel is to the death.” - Hilaire Belloc, The Great Heresies

Offline Daniel

• Feldwebel
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 03:18:05 PM »
Probably depends on what you're using it for, the manner in which you are using it, and external circumstances.

Pharmaceia is forbidden. Drunkenness is forbidden. Intemperance is forbidden. Breaking the laws established by legitimate government is forbidden. Scandalizing other people is forbidden.

Legal medicinal use is probably fine, since God did create it for our use after all.

As far as recreational use is concerned, I'm less sure but I'd think it's forbidden. But frankly, I'd think the same thing about alcohol. (Pretty sure we aren't supposed to be drinking alcohol for the sake of its mind-numbing properties, even if we are careful not to get drunk.)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 03:23:02 PM by Daniel »

Online Melkor

• Korporal
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 03:26:15 PM »
Truth @Daniel, but I know I have the occasional drink because I enjoy its effects and wish to relax, because I enjoy the buzz. Same can be said for nicotine, and caffeine I am sure. And I am sure plenty of people get scandalized when you have a few beers, so at what point is it them just being timid and scrupulous souls: are you sinning by 'scandalizing' them? Cheers mate!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 03:30:43 PM by Melkor »

G.K. Chesterton

The following users thanked this post: mikemac

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 08:12:28 AM »
I loved hand rolled tobacco cigarettes.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Online Melkor

• Korporal
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 09:40:10 AM »
@Heinrich I am partial to a nice cigar occasionally. I also dip once in a while (don't tell anyone though) ;)

G.K. Chesterton

Offline Heinrich

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 10:27:35 AM »
@Heinrich I am partial to a nice cigar occasionally. I also dip once in a while (don't tell anyone though) ;)

Quite simply, I love tobacco. Cigarettes, dip, cigars. So much so, I don't partake. In regards to your OP, which I deviated from, I would stay away and when, and only when you think it might be beneficial for treatment, should you try to consult with a trusted spiritual authority.

Instructive in temperance and war(for when you Canadians invade):
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Online Melkor

• Korporal
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 10:54:46 AM »

Quite simply, I love tobacco. Cigarettes, dip, cigars. So much so, I don't partake. In regards to your OP, which I deviated from, I would stay away and when, and only when you think it might be beneficial for treatment, should you try to consult with a trusted spiritual authority.

Instructive in temperance and war(for when you Canadians invade):

Nah no worries there our PM is more concerned with destroying his own country. He is also too much of a fag to consider war an option. Plus we would lose big time lol.

G.K. Chesterton

The following users thanked this post: Christina_S

Offline drummerboy

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Christ ist erstanden
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 11:16:15 AM »

I used to smoke hand rolled cigarettes made with pipe tobacco.  You have to let it dry out a bit but very tasty, I still hanker for one all these years later....
"Mightier than the sound of many waters, mightier than the surgings of the sea: mighty is the Lord on high"
- Ps 92:4

Offline Heinrich

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 11:59:21 AM »

I used to smoke hand rolled cigarettes made with pipe tobacco.  You have to let it dry out a bit but very tasty, I still hanker for one all these years later....

You Wisconsin brat and cheese guys are almost as tough as we pork tenderloin Hoosiers.  :cheeseheadbeer:

We dry out red man and roll it.

Offline Jmartyr

• Korporal
  • "Merci Monseigneur"
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 09:54:04 PM »

You Wisconsin brat and cheese guys are almost as tough as we pork tenderloin Hoosiers.  :cheeseheadbeer:

We dry out red man and roll it.
Indiana resident? Where?
“If anyone is excommunicated it is not I, but the excommunicators.” - Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre

Offline Philip G.

• Wachtmeister
  • Ordinary Cult
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 11:01:44 PM »
https://sspx.org/en/news-events/news/smoking-marijuana-sin-3188

It is my opinion that a catholic cannot use it, not even for medicinal reasons.  It is too guilty by association/proxy. 

Every pot head "believes" in using it "recreationally" for "medicinal reasons".  Is every marijuana smoker a pot head?  No.  But, that is indeed the trend.  It is an unholy trinity.  I live in california, and I have come into contact with many pot smokers.   
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 11:14:36 PM by Philip G. »
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Online Melkor

• Korporal
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2021, 11:34:16 PM »
Well, we are allowed to be given morphine for medicinal purposes. I should think that, weed being much less potent than morphine, we would be allowed to use it for health reasons. (I am talking about epilepsy and appetite-related illnesses, not some stoner saying he has a condition that he just invented). Recreational use? Not sure, but by all accounts pot has a lesser effect than alcohol. Wouldn't know from experience, just going off of science and hearsay.   

G.K. Chesterton